Sign in to follow this  
chapstick

It's been half a year since 5.3 came out

51 minutes ago, Juliet Alpha said:

I am alarmed by two or three things: people who seem to think that daytime weather is the same as night-time weather; people who have not yet understood the problem... and worst of all: the need to explain why this is important!

For some aircraft temperature is extremely important. On one of its world tours that took in Madras (now Chennai) a British Airways Concorde had to depart very early for Nairobi before it became too hot. If users want to replicate these flights historical weather is critical.

It’s not just ground temp either. The upper atmosphere temps will be very different depending on time of day. Those are crucial to fuel burn.

I was sitting with a chap yesterday at a monthly flight sim meeting and we were searching Africa for wildlife using MSFS. Low and slow. Earlier we attempted to land inside the crater of Vesuvius. Just a bit of fun. That’s where MSFS excels in allowing things impossible in P3D.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

OMG that thread...

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS

19 minutes ago, Juliet Alpha said:

OMG that thread...

Having read through it my guess is it will never be implemented. I found the "it would take up too much storage space" amusing for a sim that requires 3 petabytes of storage for terrain. 🤣

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray, shouldn't you as a moderator set an example in not taking a thread completely off course? Not sure how your wishes and need for historical weather in MSFS relates to anything regarding this thread. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

6 minutes ago, Sethos said:

Ray, shouldn't you as a moderator set an example in not taking a thread completely off course? Not sure how your wishes and need for historical weather in MSFS relates to anything regarding this thread. 

GIven your sole contribution to this topic was "peddling drivel" I don't think you're in any position to comment on those who wish to compare the benefits of P3D over MSFS.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

12 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

GIven your sole contribution to this topic was "peddling drivel" I don't think you're in any position to comment on those who wish to compare the benefits of P3D over MSFS.

Ah, I see moderators busy all over Avsim making sure topics stay on topic, even locking them when they don't but when it's in your neck of the woods and an off-topic you care to complain about, it's okay. I see. 

Also, what does my contribution to the thread have to do with you staying on topic? Is there a quota that needs to be filled for that? Odd comment. 

Edited by Sethos
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

39 minutes ago, Sethos said:

Ah, I see moderators busy all over Avsim making sure topics stay on topic, even locking them when they don't but when it's in your neck of the woods and an off-topic you care to complain about, it's okay. I see. 

Also, what does my contribution to the thread have to do with you staying on topic? Is there a quota that needs to be filled for that? Odd comment. 

It'a interesting that when I went off topic to praise MSFS you never commented on that but as soon as it's mentioned that P3D has an advantage over MSFS you complain the topic has gone off topic.

Ensuring all posts remain on-topic is an impossible job. We rely on a post being reported.

You may think the topic has drifted. No-one else seems to agree. You were quoted earlier in this topic. You haven't replied. Seems you don't wish to enter the debate except to have a dig at me. Hmmm.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

You may think the topic has drifted. No-one else seems to agree. You were quoted earlier in this topic. You haven't replied. Seems you don't wish to enter the debate except to have a dig at me. Hmmm.

Didn't know adhering to rules were something decided amongst the members, that's a worrying thing to say for a moderator. Nor that I had to take clear tribalism bait and drift the topic further of course because "I was quoted". Replying is apparently mandatory now.

These are some worrying comments that seem more emotional than level-headed coming from a moderator. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

@Sethos, I won't be commenting further on your posts unless they're related to the topic.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

For some aircraft temperature is extremely important. On one of its world tours that took in Madras (now Chennai) a British Airways Concorde had to depart very early for Nairobi before it became too hot. If users want to replicate these flights historical weather is critical.

It’s not just ground temp either. The upper atmosphere temps will be very different depending on time of day. Those are crucial to fuel burn.

But from my understanding neither P3D or MSFS or XP simulates this temperature effect. I have read somewhere a post from a real pilot who irl took off in a very high temperature and it was very difficult. In the flightsim not so at all. I did myself some tests with take off in different temperatures and noticed no difference.

24 minutes ago, jfri said:

But from my understanding neither P3D or MSFS or XP simulates this temperature effect. I have read somewhere a post from a real pilot who irl took off in a very high temperature and it was very difficult. In the flightsim not so at all. I did myself some tests with take off in different temperatures and noticed no difference.

FS Labs Concorde is very sensitive to outside temperature as was the actual aircraft. Hence the need for an ISA DEV readout. I can't speak for other aircraft.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I definitely see it with some aircraft, depending on how loaded they are. The larger PMDG 737s climb quite slowly at times, and when I switch to the PROG page on the FMC I see an ISA DEV of +11 degrees or so, as suspected.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

12 minutes ago, Luke said:

I definitely see it with some aircraft, depending on how loaded they are. The larger PMDG 737s climb quite slowly at times, and when I switch to the PROG page on the FMC I see an ISA DEV of +11 degrees or so, as suspected.

Cheers!

The coldest upper air is around the tropics. Try flights from those areas (TBPB as an example) and at high altitude the ISA DEV can be as low as -20. Conversely, it’s much warmer away from the tropics which is one reason Concorde rarely achieved FL600 on the LHR-JFK hop.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

5 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

For some aircraft temperature is extremely important

Ray,

When I was flying "guns" in Vietnam (I know I'm old) I would have to short my fuel or rockets because of the heat in the summer.  🤣

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

6 hours ago, Juliet Alpha said:

I am alarmed by two or three things: people who seem to think that daytime weather is the same as night-time weather; people who have not yet understood the problem... and worst of all: the need to explain why this is important!

Yes, I read that Jorg Neumann, the head developer, wants to know why historical weather would be important, so folks are trying to explain it to him.

And this guy is the head person over there?  Wow.

Dave

Edited by dave2013
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS