Sign in to follow this  
Todd2

Are clouds the best ever now? I'm impressed.

Just now, March Hare said:

They are 3D and truly volumetric. They develop dynamically according to the weather data, built from voxels, which are 3D units of data (essentially 3D pixels). If they weren't 3D, they wouldn't work. Light scatters and bounces around, across and within them as realistically as possible, with real-world light physics. Again, if they weren't 3D structures, that wouldn't work.

Realistic volumetric cloud rendering is performance heavy, though, and there are indeed limitations with current hardware.

You will see a "low resolution/pixelated" appearance in attempts at volumetric cloud rendering in other games, but usually far worse than you see in MSFS. Asobo are doing wonders with their engine.

Entirely realistic clouds, however, are not within the reach of current real-time rendering.

You might call them "truly volumetric" but I see layers of flat, thickened density, and that seems exceedingly restrictive with what you can do with it.  For entirelly realistic clouds you're not going to depend on this method of rendering but have total freedom to put particle density wherever you need it to be to create any kind of shape with variable density RW clouds manifest.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

3 hours ago, Alvega said:

When you load in the airport to start the flight press the cloud button on the top bar and then press metar and check if there is a metar for that airport. MSFS shows no metar if the metar is outdated for a couple of hours and you'll have the wrong weather. If it shows a metar you usually, in my experience, have the correct weather. But also depends on where you are flying. MYNN is one problematic airport and right now, even with the metar showing SCT025 there are no clouds at all. I was getting the correct weather there for the last couple of days though, but now I'm not again. I get the correct wind but no clouds at all.

Exact same experience for me on my last two flights; one in the US the other in Australia.  METARs were accurate with a cross-reference with SkyVector and weather websites.  The weather that was generated in MSFS was everything from the METARS....but with zero clouds.  It's very odd.  

Just now I loaded up a flight in KHTS.  METAR in MSFS and SkyVector is as follows:  17005KT 10SM BKN017 BKN025 BKN042 24/22 A2997 RMK AO2 LTG DSNT E AND S T02440222. What displays in MSFS as I type this is everything in the METAR...but ZERO clouds. I took a screenshot and will post it if I can figure out how lol.

...one of the stranger things I've encountered in my 35 years of FS.

Edited by MNORM

Took a quick hop up the river to KDWU. AWOS in MSFS reporting Heavy rain and overcast skies.  CAVOK displayed in  MSFS.

Cool little airport but they need to fix the double runway displaying.

Edited by MNORM

47 minutes ago, MNORM said:

Took a quick hop up the river to KDWU. AWOS in MSFS reporting Heavy rain and overcast skies.  CAVOK displayed in  MSFS.

Cool little airport but they need to fix the double runway displaying.

KDWU is showing clouds for me. And no double runway.

spacer.png

Edited by Alvega
  • Like 1

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

KHTS too. Looks like you have some problem with your sim.

spacer.png

Edited by Alvega
  • Like 1

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

10 hours ago, KERNEL32 said:

What I think would be interesting is if Asobo could actually confirm that they made no changes to the clouds themselves in SU10, but instead only the layers system.

There isn't anything in the SU10 release notes I've seen that mentions any changes to cloud rendering in terms of quality. IIRC. So either what we're seeing is not there. Or they're constantly tweaking the cloud apperance server-side, without any mention of it. I'm fairly convinced that the cloud appearance is much better in the beta - but I can't say that I'm 100% sure. 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

5 hours ago, MNORM said:

The weather that was generated in MSFS was everything from the METARS....but with zero clouds.  It's very odd.  

That's very strange as in my experience, MSFS METARs invariably correspond very well with other sources. I usually cross-reference with METARs from windy.com. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

I'm not in the beta so I can't directly assess cloud improvements, but are improvements referenced here also in terms of the sometimes grainy appearance?

At least one or two people here have perceived improvements to TAA, and of course we now have DLSS, and antialiasing will affect the grainy appearance. Based on knowledge of common volumetric rendering techniques, to create the cloud-like appearance, particularly in cumulus formations, they are no doubt using combinations of noise, most likely Perlin and perhaps blue and even Worley noise. That noise will show up as grain, depending on lighting scenarios and how successfully antialiasing is being applied.

8 minutes ago, March Hare said:

I'm not in the beta so I can't directly assess cloud improvements, but are improvements referenced here also in terms of the sometimes grainy appearance?

At least one or two people here have perceived improvements to TAA, and of course we now have DLSS, and antialiasing will affect the grainy appearance. Based on knowledge of common volumetric rendering techniques, to create the cloud-like appearance, particularly in cumulus formations, they are no doubt using combinations of noise, most likely Perlin and perhaps blue and even Worley noise. That noise will show up as grain, depending on lighting scenarios and how successfully antialiasing is being applied.

My point is that there is invariably less graininess and pixelation. 

I've been using DLSS in quality mode pretty much since I entered into the beta. I've tried on some occasions to change to TAA, but I honestly can't see a huge difference. I mean - the difference is there, especially with ghosting/bluriness on cockpit displays (notably the numbers on the airspeed and altimeter) - but overall for me, the difference is not big enough to stop using DLSS. As I mentioned earlier, for me there's no discernible difference in performance - but GPU usage is around 20% less with DLSS. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett

1 minute ago, Cpt_Piett said:

My point is that there is invariably less graininess and pixelation. 

Yes. So that's what I'm saying: if antialiasing has been improved across the board, there will indeed be less graininess because AA smooths out the appearance of the noise algorithms used in the rendering. So your experience suggests AA has indeed generally improved with TAA as well.

13 minutes ago, March Hare said:

Yes. So that's what I'm saying: if antialiasing has been improved across the board, there will indeed be less graininess because AA smooths out the appearance of the noise algorithms used in the rendering. So your experience suggests AA has indeed generally improved with TAA as well.

I see. That could very well be a plausible explanation, as there's no mentioning of altered cloud rendering in the release notes. 

4 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I see. That could very well be a plausible explanation, as there's no mentioning of altered cloud rendering in the release notes. 

That's why I've drawn this conclusion. It makes sense. The noise algorithms are why we see grain, and AA smooths and softens it (especially temporal antialiasing, I believe).

2 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I'm fairly convinced that the cloud appearance is much better in the beta - but I can't say that I'm 100% sure. 

There is a huge difference to my eyes.  Cloud types are now equalling what Rex Weatherforce can do.  

• Like 2

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

12 hours ago, KERNEL32 said:

I agree, but what is not shown is the plane moving through the clouds. At MSFS release they actually had it down and it looked great. There was a great sense of motion and the lighting inside and through the clouds was very realistic. The clouds had "density" and were opaque. For whatever reason they took that away and changed the lighting too after SU3. As it is now, the clouds are all very "large" and there is no sense of motion. It's like they are just large fog blobs maybe?

A look at this real world video :

That's what I was talking about.

Edited by Keto Ketchup

7 hours ago, Alvega said:

KDWU is showing clouds for me. And no double runway.

spacer.png

Wow.  Well...guess I need to load up Steam and reinstall.