Sign in to follow this  
W2DR

"I'm so tired..."

"...I don't know what to do.I'm so tired, my mind is set on you.""You know it's three weeks, I'm going insane."Anyone knows the song? ;) Well, this is how I feel today about my relation with FSX. I've been doing so much tweaking and testing during the last weeks (more than three btw!) and I've been going from very happy to very disappointed and now I do not know what to do. I'm tired of tweaking, that's for sure. I have the idea it all could and should have been better but I just can't get it done. I want to give up and forget about FSX completely but at the same time I can't. But FSX just doesn't/can't give me what I want and "I'm so tired... I don't know what to do." I probably expect too much but can't settle for less. "I'm going insane. "You know I'd give you everything I've gotFor a little peace of mind."I think I'm going to play some games that work great and don't require any tweaking... They do exist, you know.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

For what is worth, I think you're doing the right thing. Have fun.Dave Vega

Hang in there . . . I think I was tweaking FS9 up to the point I got FSX. :D At least it keeps me busy. :-)

"I'm so tired...I don't know what to do.I'm so tired, my mind is set on you.""You know it's three weeks, I'm going insane."--------------------------Well at least you haven't started quoted "Happiness is a warm Gun " lryics yet in relation to FSX ...haha

This is the endBeautiful friendThis is the endMy only friend, the end . . . :D

>Well at least you haven't started quoted "Happiness is a warm>Gun " lryics yet in relation to FSX ...haha LOLBTW I'm already over my depression. ('Yer blues' might have been good too earlier this evening...) I just finished a flight to Gardemoen without looking at the average fps and it was quite well... ;) The problems is that after so much tweaking you get fixed on fps and specific details you see (or not). That totally spoils the fun. But now I managed to keep my hands off Shift-Z and I managed to look at the overall picture instead of every tree and every pixel of every texture... and it was good. Well, for the moment... ;)"Who knows how long I've loved youYou know I love you still" :(

That is the spirit !!!I've also come to accept that FSX SP1 is not perfect, but darn good.Once I stopped tweaking and accepted the fact that FSX sometimes does not want to load the detail tiles I'd like to see next, I've had some great flights! Turning the virtual cockpit on hides most of the scenery in front of me anyway :-)The real breakthrough for me was when I stopped repeating the same flight (KSEA takeoff at 10 am) and instead started flying real time and real weather... my jaw dropped at the sunsets and the night textures for suburban areas. I've now turned off Autogen and all Traffic until I can afford a new CPU and am really enjoying FSX. Haven't flown FS9 much lately, in spite of the wonderful addon aircraft and scenery..

Gardermuen (funny ATC pronouncement in ASX) is actually one of the airports that is quite well done in stock FSX Deluxe version.Combined with Cloud9 Flesland you could have a pleasant flight over the mountains and end up in very scenic aerea in the western Norway. Also there are some nice freewae addons for Norway.I

>I just finished a>flight to Gardemoen without looking at the average fps and it>was quite well... ;) The problems is that after so much>tweaking you get fixed on fps and specific details you see (or>not). That totally spoils the fun. I deleted my ability to see my frame rate with Shift Z and my enjoyment levels have increased dramatically.Yeah, sometimes it hangs a really long time after selecting a plane or hitting Fly Now. And sometimes it crashes immediately after entering "the plane" at busy airports while all the jetways swing into action. And sometimes while I'm still on the ground it'll crash if I change views. And sometimes when I change views, the screen turns into multi-colored static, locks, then crashes. And a whole slew of texture oddities when I change views while in flight, mainly texture pop-in when going from the cockpit to external.But you know what, I learned how to fly that CRJ-700 pretty good and my logbook doesn't have "Hard Landing" (what I'd put in if I crashed on the runway :D ) any more and "routine flight" has supplanted it throughly. Sometimes I yell at the computer and I've learned to save a lot. But I'm having fun with it once I decided to just live with the issues.

Oh how I love the tweaking, I really don't know why everyone is knocking it. I thought it was really generous of Microsoft to give us this tweaking addon for free ;) :9

:without looking at the average fps:Some crafty programmer needs to write an addon which makes a fake FPS counter which adds 10 fps to the real total ....just to make us feel better ;-) (sortof like a placebo)

Actually, I'm surprised that someone has not designed a utility that runs a few hardware tests on your system then sets the proper settings in the fsx.cfg file based on its findings. I sort of thought that was what TweakFPS did but, alas, it just sets the settings according to some preset limits. Not very helpful on my system.And, yes, I realize that I could spend hours,days or weeks figuring it out for myself but I would rather fly than fiddle.

>Actually, I'm surprised that someone has not designed a>utility that runs a few hardware tests on your system then>sets the proper settings in the fsx.cfg file based on its>findings.>Actually, someone has, it is called FSX. If you delete your FSX.cfg it will create a new one with proper settings based upon your hardware.

FSX does a reasonable job at this, but there is not one autodetected setting that sets water to 2.x low, which many of us turn it down / up to. I would have binned this setting with global medium-high.Gary

I have the same love / hate relationship with FSX. The other day when the LDS 767 FSX version came out, I was getting crappy performance. Then, a day or two later is was all going swimmingly for most of a flight I did from KIAD to KLAX, when my FPS dropped into sub-10's on approach and totally ruined the experience. Yesterday, I took the 767 up from KLAX to PHNL and was getting low FPS again, even with autogen and traffic turned off. Half way to PHNL, my TrackIR panning turned to a stuttery mess, despite high FPS, which could only be rectified by quitting the sim and restarting it. Finally, coming in to PHNL with global medium-high settings, FPS dropped to an all time 5-6 FPS on the downwind leg for rwy 08L - I nearly punched the computer screen! But if I reduced the window size to a postage stamp, the FPS crawled slowly back up until it was pegged at 25 again, even when I maximised it ???I then fired FS9 up at PHNL, all sliders right, custom scenery, 95% traffic and AS6.5 weather, spanned display at 3360x1050, LDS 767 VC spread out across the two monitors, and my FPS was pegged at the 40 limit I set!!! And it stays that way from departure through to pulling up at the gate wherever. If FSX could consistently give me HALF this experience I would be happpy, and not at the expense of turning down the sliders so that it looks worse than FS9 does.I'm tired of tweaking and testing this nearly year old program to be so regularly disappointed. I was going to buy a quad core, 8800 system, but I think it will take another generation of hardware again plus the DX10 patch, plus perhaps a miracle breakthrough fix for the whole blurry / stutters / FPS love triangle before I think this version is ready for sustained operations. Until then, it will remain on my hard drive in the experimental section!Gary

After you've spent most of your savings to buy a new FSX super-computer and your wife says you're ignoring her and you don't love her anymore, try singing this tune to her....Don't I let you wash the truck on Sundays?Don't I warn you when you're getting fat?Didn't I promise to take you fishing?.....someday...A man can't love a woman more than that! That will make it all better...Doug

So I wonder... would it not be possible to have a switch in FSX, to change the FPS/texture load priority? So that we can in effect switch between the pre-SP1 low frame rates but nice textures, and the post-SP1 reversal? That would suit me down to the ground. New York at decent framerates; but much of the rest of the world in sharp resolution with a hit on rates. I'd be happy to restart the sim, even - just to have the option.I suspect it's not realistic, but it would be a nice solution. The reality for me is that without a blurry fix I want to revert to RTM. But Active Sky and all the rest need SP1. So reverting's not an option. A new PC is a year or more away, since I only upgraded 6 months ago.It does trouble me, that for the first time I can recall (and I've been buying and upgrading PCs for 15+ years) I buy a modern PC (dual core 6600 + 8800 GTS) and get what I regard as pretty poor performance. I wonder, by the time state-of-the-art hardware is cheap enough to give most of us access to FSX in all its glory - won't we be ready to buy FSXI anyway?MS is not the only culprit, mind: NWN2, for those RPG fans amongst you, is a similar disaster if the eye candy is turned up.Ho hum. Back to my 400' ceiling, and more nav tutorials. I can't get upset about the blurries if I can't see outside my cloud!

They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa.To the funny farm, Where life is beautiful all the time, And I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats, And they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!(-:

It's actually a Tweak Simulator, that you can occasionally fly on.

Here are some more Beatles for ya!"I've got to admit it's getting better (Better)A little better all the time (It can't get more worse)I have to admit it's getting better (Better)It's getting better...""Me used to be angry young manMe hiding me head in the sandYou gave me the word, I finally heardI'm doing the best that I can"I'm all over it (for now) and having big fun: blurries all over the place and autogen popping up like crazy, but I don't care. ;) I learned to see the overall picture again and it looks very sweet. I now settled for a setup that allows my to fly with a whopping autogen setting of Very dense and still I get about 20-25 fps almost all the time! How about that! It may drop below 15 here and there but I just don't look at fps anymore. (Yeah, okay, still hiding my head in the sand, but hey... there is plenty of sand in FSX...!!!! :( ) Yes, I'm a autogen-nut: I love to see all those trees and houses down there. I know a lot of people don't like it but I can't get enough of it (really...). Here are some examples off my kind of autogen while turning to final in Geiterygge, Norway.http://i16.tinypic.com/5y9ukyg.jpghttp://i13.tinypic.com/63m9njn.jpghttp://i8.tinypic.com/66ykbde.jpgI think it looks awesome. ;)

In a way, I can understand your reluctance to just give up on FSX.But you should also keep in mind that many of us are still using FS9 and are perfectly happy with it. Our hobbies are to be enjoyed, and you are not enjoying FSX. So you seem to be saying that it's more bother than it's worth, at least that's how I read it. One big difference between you and me is that I love the hobby, and you're just plain frustrated and aggravated with it.My suggestion is to just put it up (like I did) for a year or so, and see if future patches and maybe a new PC will turn it into a sim that we enjoy as much as we now enjoy FS9.I share these thoughts only with the intention of trying to help out.Time to fly... ...DaveDave JonesFort McCoy, Florida USA

Thx for trying to ehlp out! ;) However, I already bought a new PC so that's not going to happen again for a few years. And after seeing what FSX is capable of (even the highres groundtextures alone) there is no going back to FS9 for me, and putting it up is too hard: I just love flying around. ;)But at the moment I am quite satisfied with what I ended up with. Hopefully Ground and Flight Environment will make it all even better without too much fps drops, and when UT Europe will be released I'm sure I'll be even happier. ;)