Sign in to follow this  
Matchstick

Milviz to create B737-200

I still miss the tinmouse 732. (Fs 2004 iirc).

I would definitely welcome a high end classic. Those seem to have vanished over the last decade or so.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Fitted with a CIVA INS would be so nice.  This sim needs an INS-equipped airplane.

I wonder if they're still using the 737-200's up in northern Canada -- like Buffalo Air or Air North etc. etc. -- they have the gravel guards on the landing gear I think.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

No. I got my license on steam gauged aircraft, and that was was almost a half century ago. I've moved on. 

You used to enjoy the DC6, Bob. What happened? Isn't that an older aircraft?

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

No. I got my license on steam gauged aircraft, and that was was almost a half century ago. I've moved on. 

Well, that's a very subjective and limited view in my opinion. I wonder how hard it can be to see why a 737-200 might be interesting to others...

• Like 1

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

What would be the point? 

It’s kind of special aircraft . One of the kind that can land on I unpaved runway.

Edited by sd_flyer
  • Like 4

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

I had their FSX incarnation, flew the Combi all over the western US and Canada.  Really fun retro bird to fly, and arguably the best night lighting I've ever seen in a simulation.

Richard P. Kelly

1 hour ago, Mace said:

I wonder if they're still using the 737-200's up in northern Canada -- like Buffalo Air or Air North etc. etc. -- they have the gravel guards on the landing gear I think.

There are still a few carriers using them, Nolinor, Chrono Aviation, Canadian North (soon to be phased out according to Wikipedia), Air Inuit.  Air North has retired them.

This is great news, I love the smokey, loud -200s 🙂

Edited by regis9
  • Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I love the old steam gauge aircraft, it’s a flight sim we can have aircraft from any era… that’s the great thing about it.

Another great thing about flight sim is the ability to pick and choose what you buy according to your taste. A very old concept really… think it started since trade started. 

• Like 6

Milviz hasn't even delivered on the steam gauge Porter/Porter Phase II (which they had said would have been delivered by now).  I'm glad someone is working on a 732, but good grief, finish the stuff you've promised to your PAYING customers.

Edited by cmorg
  • Like 1

-C

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, EVGA RTX3080 FTW3 Ultra, 64GB DDR4 @3600MHz

MSFS, XP11, XP12, DCS, IL-2, Falcon BMS, LMNOP

The -200 was a great aircraft, known affectionately at my company as the "mud hen".  With gravel kits, she served all of the arctic and southeast Alaska (including Dutch Harbor) at a time when half those airports were gravel.  With obviously no PBN capabilities (and preceding their existence), this airplane flew published NDB approaches with charted visual segments that involved hopscotching from marine navigation bouy to bouy, following channels through terrain to said gravel runways in low vis.

What's the point? Moved on from that? Well as an industry we have, but... what's the point in my flying the aircraft I'm in, in my avatar, then?  It's a question of whether there's still a place for modern airmen to be pilots... or whether we're just computer operators.

However, I agree that based on Milviz's track record, it'll be years before we see this plane. Nice idea though. 

• Like 2

Andrew Crowley

Someone contact Milviz please.  Bob says it's pointless. Better scrap the project now. 🙄

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

What would be the point? 

Great contribution.

Now how about you explain to all of us what you think the point "wouldn't be".

Jase

• Like 4

Jaseman. Lovin it up here........

Catch us over at MassieSim32 -> https://discord.gg/B4buuHGhcr

3 hours ago, Mace said:

Fitted with a CIVA INS would be so nice.  This sim needs an INS-equipped airplane.

Canadian carrier Nolinor still operates them last I heard. In Canada they are used on gravel strips.

4 hours ago, enright said:

Same point as the PMDG DC6, the mad dog, or any other historical aircraft.

When I saw 737-200 I had an immediate flash back to getting a free pack of playing cards on Delta Airlines - ahhhh... those were the days. I wonder if they'll simulate haze in the passenger cabin from everyone smoking.

It would actually be interesting to go back and forth between a 737-200 and an 800 too see how far things have progressed.

Purchased a sealed deck of 1970s Delta Airlines 'Chicago' promotional playing  cards. Here's what they look like. : r/chicago

5 hours ago, Matchstick said:

Do you mean what is point in creating the 737-200 in general ?

If so it's a late 60s aircraft and a very very different kind of beast to the 737-300 let alone the 737NGs PMDG are creating.

In age (and style of flying - arguably) it's closer to the DC-6 than the 737-700 

Hate to burst yall’s bubble but the -200 isnt that far off from the NGs. If you take out the avionics, the main systems are the same. 

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

Boeing had a 737-200 that could land off pavement. Was flown in Alaska for instance. I would buy this bush airliner. Well all right, that's a stretch.

Stretch? The 200 was stretched? Oh snap, I'll be quiet now and let Wikipedia say it properly:

Wikipedia:

"With the improved short-field capabilities of the 737-200, Boeing offered the option of the gravel kit modification features preventing foreign object damage, which enables this aircraft to operate on remote, unimproved or unpaved runways, such as gravel runways, that other similarly sized jetliner cannot. Until retiring its -200 fleet in 2007, Alaska Airlines used this option for some of its combi aircraft  rural operations to serve many unimproved runways in Alaska. Gravel-kitted 737-200 Combis are still used by Canadian North, Air Inuit, Nolinor, and Chrono in Northern Canada where gravel runways are common. In July 2019, there were 46 Boeing 737-200s in service, mostly with "second and third tier" airlines, and those of developing nations."

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.