Sign in to follow this  
Pastaiolo

XP12: the good, the bad, the ugly

11 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

I am enjoying it immensely.  Bit of Orbx UK otherwise default aircraft/weather.

Nice layer of alto-cumulus with a lower layer of cumulus.

Orbx3.png

Visibility effects are superb - lovely haze!

Orbx4.png

what's your fps with all that nice orbx scenery? 😉

also shame that you are limited to the UK or canaries, oh and balearics 😄

• Like 3

1 hour ago, UKflyer said:

You can (or probably will be able to) use Ortho. But it won't solve those ugly details. Look at the trees right on the river bank.

TJSzlvS.png

I've witnessed those things a lot in XP11. Trees in the middle of parking lots, cornfields, cities...

Generally, autogen spoils Orthos a lot - like building mismatches, etc.

But until MSFS gets its flight model polished, XP will always have its justification. An important point, but pretty much the sole one.

Edited by tweekz
  • Like 3

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

5 minutes ago, tweekz said:

You can (or probably will be able to) use Ortho. But it won't solve those ugly details. Look at the trees right on the river bank.

TJSzlvS.png

I've witnessed those things a lot in XP11. Trees in the middle of parking lots, cornfields, cities...

Generally, autogen spoils Orthos a lot - like building mismatches, etc.

But until MSFS gets its flight model polished, XP will always have its justification. An important point, but pretty much the sole one.

yeh i have ortho for all of Europe ZL15-17 and used it in XP12 this morning. The problem is once you have got used to something better it's hard not to notice the stark difference

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tweekz said:

Those clouds look like you're flying over Antarctica. 😄

Antarctica or a volcano erupting? Pick your poison! 😄

"They're pissing on our heads and they tell us they're pissing on our heads, but we say it's raining because we don't want to be labeled 'conspiracy theorists' ".

30 minutes ago, tweekz said:

And ground physics. And realistic water operations. And helicopters. And aircraft with unconventional configurations. And visibility settings. Yeah the sole one. 😄

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

"They're pissing on our heads and they tell us they're pissing on our heads, but we say it's raining because we don't want to be labeled 'conspiracy theorists' ".

36 minutes ago, Murmur said:

And ground physics. And realistic water operations. And helicopters. And aircraft with unconventional configurations. And visibility settings. Yeah the sole one. 😄

And an understanding of flight dynamics that doesn't allow for answers like the one on this thread:

https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/questions/10265/cfd-broken-body-not-affecting-airflow-coanda-effec.html

I love MFS for the looks and functionality, and even for promissing weather modelling comming with future updates, but xp12 Will most probably still bem my way to go for more realism in flight dynamics...

Edited by jcomm
  • Upvote 3

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

2 hours ago, UKflyer said:

what's your fps with all that nice orbx scenery? 😉

Fps is averaging 40.

Not sure why you think I'm limited though because I have almost 2,000 hours in MSFS.  

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

39 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Fps is averaging 40.

Not sure why you think I'm limited though because I have almost 2,000 hours in MSFS.  

i mean kind of limited in XP no? In terms of realistic landscape..

2 hours ago, tweekz said:

And flaps get damaged at overspeed, birdstrikes, blackout through hypoxia, blackout/redout through high g-load, seasonal weather effects (accumulating/melting snow/ice, drying rain puddles etc.), accumulating ice on the wings in respective weather conditions and accordingly falling from the sky, ... and even more. Nothing worth mentioning 😄.

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

1 hour ago, Murmur said:

And proper windshield effects. And a UI that doesn't deserve to be shot out of a cannon into the sun due to being so sluggish and awful. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

2 hours ago, Murmur said:

It's all about the physics, yes. So exactly what I said. Very important, if not the most important - but the rest of the software lags behind.

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

I'm really glad that people are enjoying XP12. 

Posting pictures of clouds for either sim seems to be a bit pointless to me. Both can sometimes make clouds look good, both can sometimes make them look awful. MSFS is improving and probably has a good edge for now, but no doubt XP will improve. It's interesting that it appears to be so much of a struggle for the devs. It seems that modelling a single 'cloud' is no problem, but the random interaction of them and implementation of them en-mass seems to be an issue which hasn't quite been overcome by anyone.  

Edited by 2reds2whites
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, UKflyer said:

i mean kind of limited in XP no? In terms of realistic landscape..

Not at all.  X-Plane has terrain realistic enough for all phases of flight. All surface features are in the correct place, the atmosphere looks great with the lighting and visibility effects and airports have good textures and buildings.  

If its important to have satellite scenery for a procedure I'm flying I can use MSFS, a simulator I love to use too.  When XP12 was installed on my system, I didn't feel the urge to lock MSFS away somewhere.  I love flight simulation, not an individual company or its products.

• Like 4

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

25 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Not at all.  X-Plane has terrain realistic enough for all phases of flight. All surface features are in the correct place, the atmosphere looks great with the lighting and visibility effects and airports have good textures and buildings.  

If its important to have satellite scenery for a procedure I'm flying I can use MSFS, a simulator I love to use too.  When XP12 was installed on my system, I didn't feel the urge to lock MSFS away somewhere.  I love flight simulation, not an individual company or its products.

fair enough 👍