Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

A programmable controller for MSFS: Loupedeck

Perfect, thank you very much!

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

I am fully satisfied with 2 Streamdecks XL, together with AxisOhs. You can set it up completely to your desired use for MSFS2020. I no longer use the keyboard or mouse. It is clear and there are enough profiles to be found. It works quickly and easily, You can arrange the buttons however you want, sometimes as they are on the dashboard of the cockpit. I imagine a real pilot doesn't use a mouse either, but buttons. Those two StreamDecks XL replace this as it were and give a little more fun. In addition, I use the stream decks for many other applications. Don't forget to donate the authors for their excellent work for the various profiles!

Edited by Simcees

8 hours ago, algy10 said:

425.00 ex. VAT  and less versatile, are you kidding? 

What??  That's nonsense.  I did not say that -- I think you need to re-read my post. 

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I have a StreamDeck and recently added an XTouch Mini for AP/G1000 control - the rotary knobs on the XTouch are a game-changer.  The two work great thanks to the profiles out there for the Streamdeck and the various script work that @guenseli has done for A&Os.  

This looks like a great combo solution that can cover both a StreamDeck and the XTouch, but it seems like it would be a pioneering effort.

Edited by Virtual-Chris

14 minutes ago, Mace said:

What??  That's nonsense.  I did not say that -- I think you need to re-read my post. 

Apologies, sorry, I miss-read your post.

I agree that you were not advocating the Simkit

Al

1 minute ago, algy10 said:

Apologies, sorry, I miss-read your post.

I agree that you were not advocating the Simkit

Al

I was asking a question, are things like Streamdeck / Loupedeck more versatile than a hardware KAP140?

I guess the answer is "yes", since it is programmable to whatever you want. 

What is "Simkit"?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

So, the Loupedeck has rotary knobs which could be used, for example, setting altitude or heading. But, you can't map that function directly to MSFS. So you need addition software to ... what?

This is where I get lost in the linked video. What does MIDI have to do with all this? Could this middle-ware be accomplished with Lorby's X/Os?

What sayest thou?

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

38 minutes ago, RichieFly said:

So, the Loupedeck has rotary knobs which could be used, for example, setting altitude or heading. But, you can't map that function directly to MSFS. So you need addition software to ... what?

This is where I get lost in the linked video. What does MIDI have to do with all this? Could this middle-ware be accomplished with Lorby's X/Os?

What sayest thou?

You only need the MSFS plugin from the Loupedeck Marketplace to integrate with MSFS. AXIS & OHS is additonal software that can be used to extend more advanced functionality.

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

I certaintly can see the use of the Loupedeck dials, but I personally (Age, I guess) think it looks very difficult to set up, and having to buy profiles and SpadNext , makes it a very expensive addon, AND I don't even know what the Loupedeck itself cost. But it's absolutely a step in the right direction.

Edited by jlund

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

58 minutes ago, Donka said:

AXIS & OHS is additonal software that can be used to extend more advanced functionality.

But not with the LoupeDeck. AAO will pick up the MIDI commands, but that is about it. Somebody would have to write a LoupeDeck plugin that talks to the AAO Web API.

But to be honest, to me the LoupeDeck looks kind of limited compared to what it costs, and their SDK is too. The only benefit over a Behringer X-Touch (which costs 25% of the LoupeDeck IIRC) would be, that the rotary encoders and buttons can be labelled dynamically on the screen, while with an XT there is no screen, just a bunch of LEDs, so you either have to remember or use cardboard cut-outs.
And the MSFS specific feature set of the LoupeDeck isn't great (IMHO), compared to what can be done with an Elgato StreamDeck - where nothing is hard coded and can be changed by the user, where no additional keyboard or MIDI segments are required and where you have the full visual feedback with the graphical gauges. The option to configure the actions freely is especially important when thinking about advanced aircraft, where neither the default events nor the controller assignments in the sim work due to their custom made cockpits and aircraft systems. A hard coded plugin just won't cut it in those use cases.
And... $20 for a set of LoupeDeck Icons? Really?

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 2

LORBY-SI

1 hour ago, Lorby_SI said:

But not with the LoupeDeck. AAO will pick up the MIDI commands, but that is about it. Somebody would have to write a LoupeDeck plugin that talks to the AAO Web API.

But to be honest, to me the LoupeDeck looks kind of limited compared to what it costs, and their SDK is too. The only benefit over a Behringer X-Touch (which costs 25% of the LoupeDeck IIRC) would be, that the rotary encoders and buttons can be labelled dynamically on the screen, while with an XT there is no screen, just a bunch of LEDs, so you either have to remember or use cardboard cut-outs.
And the MSFS specific feature set of the LoupeDeck isn't great (IMHO), compared to what can be done with an Elgato StreamDeck - where nothing is hard coded and can be changed by the user, where no additional keyboard or MIDI segments are required and where you have the full visual feedback with the graphical gauges. The option to configure the actions freely is especially important when thinking about advanced aircraft, where neither the default events nor the controller assignments in the sim work due to their custom made cockpits and aircraft systems. A hard coded plugin just won't cut it in those use cases.
And... $20 for a set of LoupeDeck Icons? Really?

So which device among all available devices would you recommend?

He appears to be leaning towards the x-touch. 

I have a SD XL and am very happy with it.  

I'm going to try the Stream Deck XL with (already have) Lorby AO. 

Could someone suggest a guide or tutorial series that could offer clues as to getting started?

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

3 hours ago, flyforever said:

So which device among all available devices would you recommend?

I know you’re not asking me, but I believe that the XTouch is the most affordable, easiest, and most flexible way to add rotary controls to the sim. If you combine it with a StreamDeck, you have the best of both worlds. 

One day, the Loupedeck may be an easier, better, and cheaper alternative, but as it stands, it’s ability to interface with the Sim seems limited (but maybe I misunderstand what their plugin can do). 

Edited by Virtual-Chris

55 minutes ago, RichieFly said:

I'm going to try the Stream Deck XL with (already have) Lorby AO. 

Could someone suggest a guide or tutorial series that could offer clues as to getting started?

Just download some Streamdeck profiles from flightsim.to. Look for anything by @guenseli