Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Yoke or stick?

Which do you prefer?  I have both the CH Yoke and the Saitek Stick.  I much prefer the stick.

The stick takes up much less on your desk or table.  I also find the stick a more precise control.  I can see why modern aircraft are going with the side stick.

I might be prejudiced since I learned to fly with a stick (Luscombe).  There were times I wished I had a stick in the Cherokee or Mooney I was flying.  While the Saitek returns to the neutral position by itself the Luscombe stick didn't.  I liked the way you could hold the stick between your knees while your were looking at a chart in the old days of pilotage navigation.

In flight simulation most of us tend to use the control our favorite comes with.  I imagine some of us who have both the yoke and stick controls use the one appropriate to the aircraft du jour.   Being a lazy sort myself I stick to the stick in whatever I am flying.  And I really do prefer the stick.

There are probably good reasons some manufacturers install yokes in their aircraft (Boeing) and others install side sticks (Airbus).  But maybe someday they will give the customer a choice...like a choice of manual or automatic transmissions in automobiles; also in the olden days.

Noel

Edited by birdguy

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

For me it depends on the Aircraft. Boeing = Yoke and Airbus = Stick. 

Apart from that, I somewhat prefer the stick out of conveniance first and foremost. My yoke is the Aplha / Bravo stuff. Big and cumbersome and kind of in the way and a nuisance to clamp down on the desk. The Airbus Stick and throttle in comparison is very easy; just plop it down in the desk and off you go... 😃

For some odd reason I am reluctant to fly the 737 with a stick... 

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

H.O.T.A.S. ! I have a yoke, but it takes up way to much room.

Edited by Penzoil3

1 hour ago, G550flyer said:

I prefer both. Depends on what I am flying.

Ditto. Along with the appropriate throttles

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Stick.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Microsoft FF2 Joystick...unquestionably!

Stan

H.O.T.A.S.  Because it has a stick (and a whole lot more!).😁

• Like 1

I have the CH Products Fighterstick.  A couple of reasons for me using a stick.  First, I started flying combat flight sims, so a stick made more sense.  Second, the stick does not take up much space.  Third, it works and is paid for.  Guess that was three reasons, but no one has ever accused me of being a mathlete.

Edited by stans

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Stick... on the left and a separate throttle quadrant on the right. Perfect for flying the 'bus.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

If you're going to be busy doing lots of stuff with your hands off of the controls, then the yoke is probably better. If you're going to be busy doing lots of things with your hands on the controls (e.g. dog fighting for your life) then you want a HOTAS. 4 hats and 5 buttons and you don't have to move your hands, only your fingers (and that's just the stick).

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Yoke for me 

JetLine Systems Gravity GT2-Windows 10 Home Edition (64-Bit), NZXT H500 Mid-Tower, Black, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 PRO WIFI, LGA 1151, Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900K (5.0GHz Turbo) 8 Core / 16 Thread, Corsair Hydro H60 120mm Liquid Cooling, 32GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3000MHz RGB, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, GDDR6, 750 Watt Corsair RM Series Power Supply, 5.1 Channel Realtek Integrated HD Audio, Primary SSD Drive:1TB Samsung 970 EVO, M.2 NVMe PCIe (SSD), Secondary SSD Drive:2TB Samsung 970 EVO, M.2 NVMe PCIe (SSD) 4TB WD Black 7200 RPM Mechanical , SimOn Solutions 737 Professional Compact Trainer (MIP, OH). CFY 737 Max Motorized TQ Gold V3, MSFS2020, ProSim 737. 45" Samsung 4K TV.

Fulcrum One yoke for me. A huge upgrade on the Saitek. I’m making the smoothest landings I’ve ever done. Eight inches of travel ensures very fine adjustments.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I find that a stick is more versatile - flying a 737 with a stick feels good enough, but flying an A320 with a yoke feels extremely weird. Takes up less desk space too.

7800X3D - RTX 2080 FE - 64GB DDR5 - Dan C4-SFX