Sign in to follow this  
rondon9898

More stupid gusts, this time on final

15 hours ago, hobart escin said:

Content removed!

Wrong. I just made a post mocking the Canada World Update and mocking the work that Asobo/MSFS team did on the Canada World Update here: 

If Asobo or the MSFS team does a bad job, I call it like it is.  I have been pretty harsh on Asobo/MSFS team on the Canada World Update. In fact, if you follow the Canada World Update thread, you will see that I have been critical and harsh on Asobo/MSFS team in multiple posts.

15 hours ago, hobart escin said:

BTW, shouldn't you spend more time gathering even more 'proof' that everything is perfect because you saw a Youtube video made by a real pretend pilot who claims to like the new wind gusts?   Simming just seems to get in the way of your endless quest, so I would suggest you fly less and harvest forum post quotes more.   Oh and be sure to relentlessly like every post on here that agrees with your point of view.    

I use MSFS. So naturally, the majority of my posts are here in the MSFS forum. From time to time, I may post in the P3D or XP forum, but probably less than 5% of my posts are in those forums.

On the other hand, you said you don't use MSFS anymore and that you use P3D. So why are you constantly posting here in the MSFS forum, mocking MSFS?  If you use P3D, then go post in the P3D forums from time to time!

Yes, it's okay if you post in the MSFS forums once in a while if you use P3D. That's normal. But almost all your posts are here in the MSFS forum, which is not normal for somebody that primarily uses P3D and doesn't use MSFS.

Edited by charliearon
removed content from post
  • Like 3

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

C'mon guys, can we not put all this "My sim's" better than yours rehtoric to rest. It's a great time for all sim pilots with the choices now available. Just enjoy the choices we now have.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

Back to the topic in hand...

I've been loving the challenge of the low-level gusts since SU10. A lot of flights have been around coastal CT in smaller GA aircraft (up to the TBM) and I was experiencing severe gusts for all of the last week (but the METAR was showing winds in the region of 10-20kts).

When I read this topic, I suddenly wondered if the gusting was overdone, but yesterday morning, with a METAR showing Winds Calm, I took off in live weather and it was beautifully smooth, as I would have expected.

Later, when landing in Iqaluit the winds were variable at 6kts. Again, a pretty smooth experience.

I am really enjoying the air at lower levels now.

One thing I did notice was the turbulence over open water at high altitude — it seems stronger than that over land at the moment, and I notice the transition immediately when crossing the water/land boundary. For example, last night as soon as I was over open ocean from Iqaluit towards Greenland, gusts were variable at crazy, while the whole time I overflew Greenland it was smooth, until I emerged on the other side of Greenland on the ocean again. So perhaps some work still needs to be done there? 

3 hours ago, hobart escin said:

If anyone here has an agenda, it's you.   You're some kind of inalienable Asobofanboy that absolutely refuses to believe anything could ever possibly be wrong with MSFS2020 under any circumstance, and you'll go to the ends of the Earth to prove your point.  

BTW, shouldn't you spend more time gathering even more 'proof' that everything is perfect because you saw a Youtube video made by a real pretend pilot who claims to like the new wind gusts?   Simming just seems to get in the way of your endless quest, so I would suggest you fly less and harvest forum post quotes more.   Oh and be sure to relentlessly like every post on here that agrees with your point of view.    

Troll alert..

• Like 5

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

this  is  like  a tag  team  event 🙂

• Like 1

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

The thread that refuses to die!

To be honest, I take what the sim throws at me in the air. Same thing in the real world. You really want to know what is unrealistic - flying along at 2,500' and a wind gust lifts me off the seat and my head hits the canopy! It startles you. It is like the plane hit a wall of cement.  Always happens once or twice a year. Not often for sometime that logs between 30-50 hours a year of recreational flying.

If I had to identify an unrealistic component in any sim - it is not being able to align an aircraft with the runway just before touchdown or on the rollout. Regardless of the weather or wind you are always able to make the final adjustment to align and point the nose down the middle of the runway. Whether you slip or crab into the wind, your instincts and inputs get the plane aligned just before landing. In the sim, this is not always possible to get the aircraft aligned as it should be especially at touchdown. Strong gusts will accentuate this behaviour.

• Like 2

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Beautiful Sunset Flight Over Burlington, Ontario + Cool Instrumental + GoPro Aerial Cameras | 4K

6 hours ago, hobart escin said:

If anyone here has an agenda, it's you.   You're some kind of inalienable Asobofanboy that absolutely refuses to believe anything could ever possibly be wrong with MSFS2020 under any circumstance, and you'll go to the ends of the Earth to prove your point.  

BTW, shouldn't you spend more time gathering even more 'proof' that everything is perfect because you saw a Youtube video made by a real pretend pilot who claims to like the new wind gusts?

And there we have it class. Let's summarize the identification of those who have no intent to add anything constructive to the discussion or any supporting data to solidify their point of view. When countered with information and facts, their only response is to resort to insults. You see this from sim'n all they way over to politics.  As Bob indicated, smells of a troll. Any who, thanks for the excellent example.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

Of course it's a troll. Nothing wrong with liking p3d, but if you don't use MSFS you have no business commenting on it because you can't possibly know what you're talking about. The only possible reason to keep doing so is because you're a troll who thinks it's funny to defecate all over something other people like. What's annoying is that the mods just close threads when such things keep happening, rather than sending the troll on vacation and letting the rest of us get on with the thread.

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, eslader said:

but if you don't use MSFS you have no business commenting on it because you can't possibly know what you're talking about.

Words that speak the absolute truth. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Latest video at The Flight Level Beautiful Sunset Flight Over Burlington, Ontario + Cool Instrumental + GoPro Aerial Cameras | 4K

39 minutes ago, eslader said:

Of course it's a troll. Nothing wrong with liking p3d, but if you don't use MSFS you have no business commenting on it because you can't possibly know what you're talking about. The only possible reason to keep doing so is because you're a troll who thinks it's funny to defecate all over something other people like. What's annoying is that the mods just close threads when such things keep happening, rather than sending the troll on vacation and letting the rest of us get on with the thread.

I agree with you on most points.  However, I do think it's okay though to post in the other forums once in a while, even if you don't own that simulator.  Just be respectful and genuine.  My gripe with hobart escin's account is that he/she virtually only posts here in the MSFS forum, while admitting he/she uses P3D now, and every post from hobart is a post which is negative on MSFS, never anything positive about MSFS - that's not genuine at all.

I see other posters who own P3D and they don't own MSFS, and when they come in here to the MSFS forum, they are respectful enough and they actually have genuine interest and questions about MSFS, or some add-ons in MSFS. Like I saw some strictly P3D users enquire and discuss in a respectful way, about the Fenix A320 or PMDG 737 when they were released on MSFS, and from their posts, they show a genuine interest of picking up MSFS (and you can also see they normally post in the P3D forum, which is also normal).  IMO, I think that's totally okay, and I don't mind interacting with them in threads in the MSFS forum here at Avsim.

I think if we can keep things respectful and genuine, we should be able to post in the other forums, even if we don't own the simulator.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

I've decided if the conditions warrant turbulence we should experience it.  But I think Asobo/meteoblue (if they are still partners) are just throwing in some pretend turb model at low altitudes for fun.

Today I was at work and we had many many pireps of LGT-MOD chop/turb by aircraft of all sizes.  The METARs correlate very well because many of the winds are gusting and quite dramatically.

I also just flew the sim in some of the areas in my zoomed up map and it was really bumpy and even at 2000 ft (just about 1000 agl) some of the winds were over 30 knots!  You can see the large gusts from my real wx metar/ skyvector.  And then with my terrible photoshop skills I pulled data from Windy and overlayed it onto this section of the upper Midwest USA (2000 ft grib model).  Today is bumpy in real world and in sim!  And so the sim is correct.  Somedays though, it's clear with stable air and we've got crazy bumps in the sim when it should be super calm.  Blah!

Departing 6Y3 (just to the SW of that island on the left side of my pic) it was super bumpy...ASI was jumping all over and I had to be on the controls.  Check out those whitecaps on Lake Michigan!

52413953070_1f8cbec575_k.jpg6Y3_V35B by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

A closeup of the area

52414100128_019cc39bb5_k.jpggusterly by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

And some reference for a regional area (I checked many of these metars showed large gusts just now)

52414033355_a211db1e1a_k.jpggusterly2 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

@ryanbatc Beautiful analysis and correlation of the sim to real conditions! Great to see content like this with facts!

Edited by Doering

@ryanbatc meteoblu or whatever data provider play little part in that.

the issue is the effect of the data , wether or not it’s representative of the current live weather, on the way the plane flies.

Take an airliner, say a reputable A320 , and let it fly at variable 2-3 knot gusts then see what happens…