Sign in to follow this  
rondon9898

More stupid gusts, this time on final

1 minute ago, ha5mvo said:

@ryanbatc meteoblu or whatever data provider play little part in that.

the issue is the effect of the data , wether or not it’s representative of the current live weather, on the way the plane flies.

Take an airliner, say a reputable A320 , and let it fly at variable 2-3 knot gusts then see what happens…

Little part?  From my understanding MSFS is still using the entire forecast models from Meteoblue for worldwide wind and weather modeling.   Therefore if in the sim there are always gusts something must not be correct with the MB data?  Or perhaps Asobo is just inserting fake turbulence near the ground?

I rarely fly airliners in the sim.  Are you saying just small gusts are bouncing big airliners around as well?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

10 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Troll alert..

Yeah. I found it strange that you liked his reply to me here when I called him a troll because knowing him it was clear he was being sarcastic. Nice to see you now agree with me.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

7 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

I rarely fly airliners in the sim.  Are you saying just small gusts are bouncing big airliners around as well?

Exactly that

10 minutes ago, ha5mvo said:

Exactly that

Hmmm yeah that seems to be a weather issue then.  I just flew in that same weather in my pics above in the 737 and it was a lot more manageable.  So maybe with clear skies they just randomly insert fake gusts to simulate turb... I'm not sure.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

25 minutes ago, Alvega said:

Yeah. I found it strange that you liked his reply to me here when I called him a troll because knowing him it was clear he was being sarcastic. Nice to see you now agree with me.

LOL! Alvega the fact that you remembered that and then brought it up is so petty!

I gotta be careful next time I like a post. Alvega is keeping receipts! 😄

Edited by WestAir

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

12 minutes ago, WestAir said:

LOL! Alvega the fact that you remembered that, and brought it up, is so petty! I love it. 😂

I gotta be careful next time I like a post. Alvega is keeping receipts! Haha. 

Looks like you are trying to join his club.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

55 minutes ago, Alvega said:

Looks like you are trying to join his club.

I wouldn't take what I say too seriously, Alvega. My comment was intended to be a friendly jab. 😉

Edited by WestAir
Spelling!

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

46 minutes ago, WestAir said:

I wouldn't take what I say too seriously, Alvega. My comment was intended to be a friendly jab. 😉

Touché.

• Like 1

Alvega

I finally had a chance to use the sim for the first time since the update. If simply looking out the window, the turbulence effect wasn’t that far off from what I see IRL. The effect on the instruments, however, was absurd. IAS would fluctuate instantaneously +\- 10 knots. VS jumped all over the place. On approach, the windsock flipped from side to side 180 degrees every second. All of this was in an area that I had just flown IRL and had very little turbulence.

i appreciate that ASOBO is being ambitious with the airflow simulation…but something is still off in the implementation right now. 

• Like 2

Chris

10 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

Little part?  From my understanding MSFS is still using the entire forecast models from Meteoblue for worldwide wind and weather modeling.   Therefore if in the sim there are always gusts something must not be correct with the MB data?  Or perhaps Asobo is just inserting fake turbulence near the ground?

Re: Meteoblue data, whilst Ive heard off others that its reliable in other parts of the world, here in the UK its very inaccurate and seems to show quite extreme conditions of wind and rain when the reality turns out to be moderate, it's forecasts are consistantly wrong by large degree.

This doesnt explain inaccuracies when using Metar data of course.

(For the record, Im quite OK with the current wind model, feels like the most accurate depiction in a flight sim that ive experienced but I mostly fly light aircraft similar to my IRL type experience)

Randazzo of PMDG in his latest status update:

"Some of these fixes are things that we were working on during the MSFS SU10 beta period in order to improve stability of of control-related functions such as pitch, yaw, roll and thrust. The MSFS environment is significantly more dynamic than the real world environment- and this creates some interesting engineering challenges in order to ensure that the airplane flies properly. "

13 hours ago, redshift27 said:

Randazzo of PMDG in his latest status update:

"Some of these fixes are things that we were working on during the MSFS SU10 beta period in order to improve stability of of control-related functions such as pitch, yaw, roll and thrust. The MSFS environment is significantly more dynamic than the real world environment- and this creates some interesting engineering challenges in order to ensure that the airplane flies properly. "

Polite way to say: "It's completely wrong"

I actually trust RSR's assessment here; not only because he's really good at looking at math and numbers, but because his team is exceptional at looking at math and numbers.

Personally I find the gusts to be a breath of fresh air, but if devs see it differently with the numbers, maybe it's worth a second look.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WestAir said:

I actually trust RSR's assessment here; not only because he's really good at looking at math and numbers, but because his team is exceptional at looking at math and numbers.

Personally I find the gusts to be a breath of fresh air, but if devs see it differently with the numbers, maybe it's worth a second look.

The physical gusts are fine, it's the avionics going crazy that's causing problems.  In auto thrust it causes massive spikes.  I think FNX said they were going to add a filter or something in the next update.  

In the sim the winds shift between 1-5 knots and varies a little bit laterally and it causes everything to go hay wire, even though the aircraft doesn't jump around that much.  These change about every second.  It's crazy.  Check out one of my VODs and look at the ND, and you'll see what I mean.

I thought ASOBO said they were trying to make gusts 'procedural', so that may be the reason.  Jorge even talked about adding CAPE values in one Q&A.  If you're a storm chaser, you'll know what that means.  I don't mind that, even if technically that could be considered taking a creative liberty, because IRL, you can't predict mother nature to that degree anyways.  Really, they just need to be present to make it 'realistic'/believable.  You deal with unexpected WX all the time, IRL, so the sim should be no different.

Edited by Jeff Nielsen
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply