Sign in to follow this  
rondon9898

More stupid gusts, this time on final

On 10/8/2022 at 10:38 AM, abrams_tank said:

I agree with you on most points.  However, I do think it's okay though to post in the other forums once in a while, even if you don't own that simulator.  Just be respectful and genuine.  My gripe with hobart escin's account is that he/she virtually only posts here in the MSFS forum, while admitting he/she uses P3D now, and every post from hobart is a post which is negative on MSFS, never anything positive about MSFS - that's not genuine at all.

I see other posters who own P3D and they don't own MSFS, and when they come in here to the MSFS forum, they are respectful enough and they actually have genuine interest and questions about MSFS, or some add-ons in MSFS. Like I saw some strictly P3D users enquire and discuss in a respectful way, about the Fenix A320 or PMDG 737 when they were released on MSFS, and from their posts, they show a genuine interest of picking up MSFS (and you can also see they normally post in the P3D forum, which is also normal).  IMO, I think that's totally okay, and I don't mind interacting with them in threads in the MSFS forum here at Avsim.

I think if we can keep things respectful and genuine, we should be able to post in the other forums, even if we don't own the simulator.

Yeah, I don't think you should have to own MSFS in order to post here. But I do think that if you post in multiple threads, ad nauseum, talking about how much MSFS sucks, you'd better have experience using the bloody thing if you want to be seen as credible. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, eslader said:

Yeah, I don't think you should have to own MSFS in order to post here. But I do think that if you post in multiple threads, ad nauseum, talking about how much MSFS sucks, you'd better have experience using the bloody thing if you want to be seen as credible. 

Yup, I agree with you. I think it depends on the context of the account and how that account is used.

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

On 10/9/2022 at 1:22 AM, ryanbatc said:

Hmmm yeah that seems to be a weather issue then.  I just flew in that same weather in my pics above in the 737 and it was a lot more manageable.  So maybe with clear skies they just randomly insert fake gusts to simulate turb... I'm not sure.

You might have missed my point. What I was talking about is the effect of even smaller amplitude variable winds have on a plane's behavior. Take your 737 and create a synthetic variable gust of merely a couple of knots oscillating from side to side and see what happens...

Thing is, that if the flight model doesn't translate to a correct behavior, then the fidelity of the weather data is a rather moot point

• Like 1

On 10/8/2022 at 2:59 PM, ha5mvo said:

@ryanbatc 

Take an airliner, say a reputable A320 , and let it fly at variable 2-3 knot gusts then see what happens…

Sorry I'm not Ryan, but coinsidentaly  did exactly what you said in flew PMDG 737-600/800 and Fenix A320. The only things I noticed was PFD wind vector was a bit "jumpy". Not sure if that suppose to be this way .

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

34 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

Sorry I'm not Ryan, but coinsidentaly  did exactly what you said in flew PMDG 737-600/800 and Fenix A320. The only things I noticed was PFD wind vector was a bit "jumpy". Not sure if that suppose to be this way .

I wouldn't mind the vector if the plane would not oscillate around its vertical axis (yaw) from a 2 knot gust varying from side to side.

For the first time ever, yesterday I managed to record MSFS stupid gusts at FL390. Not only stupid gusts on final, but even during cruise. Unbelievable. And people call this realistic 🙈

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Jeeeno said:

For the first time ever, yesterday I managed to record MSFS stupid gusts at FL390. Not only stupid gusts on final, but even during cruise. Unbelievable. And people call this realistic 🙈

Indeed!

Thx for the video! I have to agree something is really not ok there 😕

Even in here it looks overdone...

I haven't been able to experience such overdone effects in my short test hops though...

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

30 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Indeed!

Thx for the video! I have to agree something is really not ok there 😕

Even in here it looks overdone...

I haven't been able to experience such overdone effects in my short test hops though...

In the mountains it's more likely to have strong turbulence, but given how MSFS behaves it's definitely overdone. 

3 hours ago, ha5mvo said:

Take your 737 and create a synthetic variable gust of merely a couple of knots oscillating from side to side and see what happens...

How do you do that?

8 minutes ago, Pathfinder633 said:

How do you do that?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

1 hour ago, Pathfinder633 said:

I mean the changing from side to side bit

When you define gusting winds you can also set the max shear variation in terms of wind direction.

Then the frequency slider let's you modulate how many oscillations occur per minute.

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

6 hours ago, ha5mvo said:

I wouldn't mind the vector if the plane would not oscillate around its vertical axis (yaw) from a 2 knot gust varying from side to side.

My planes didn't oscillate. What 3rd pay airplane you use? 

• Like 2

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

9 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

My planes didn't oscillate. What 3rd pay airplane you use? 

Yeah, I have never seen any of my aircraft in MSFS "oscillate"  Very strange. 

• Like 3

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310