Sign in to follow this  
vin747

Landing the FENIX 320

12 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

A bank agnle of over 30 degrees is something you should never do in a passenger jet. You cannot turn icing on in the Fenix, period. 

In an emergency situation sometimes happens to have over 30° bank angles, I think that it is for this reason too that some pilots hate fbw airplanes. I don't like "periods" in a study level airplane, hoping that someone will solve the problem in the future.

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

1 hour ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Several airports have ILS glideslopes that are completely unreliable. I was surprised when I found this to be true also with FT's KLAS. If I didn't disconnect the autopilot and go manual flight I would have flown into trees and houses. Granted, that was in the A310, but I doubt it would have been any different in the Fenix. 

I was I was beginning to wonder if it was just me noticing this. That ILS on 26L is way too low.

• Like 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

8 minutes ago, Claudius_ said:

In an emergency situation sometimes happens to have over 30° bank angles, I think that it is for this reason too that some pilots hate fbw airplanes. I don't like "periods" in a study level airplane, hoping that someone will solve the problem in the future.

Well unfortunately for you, most new aircraft designs today are FBW, Airbus, Boeing, etc. passengers don't care for aerobatics in the aircraft they are sitting in. 

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

16 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Well unfortunately for you, most new aircraft designs today are FBW, Airbus, Boeing, etc. passengers don't care for aerobatics in the aircraft they are sitting in. 

That was almost 30 years ago, and a demo flight of a brand new aircraft, with pilots still not completely understanding how it worked. Would you like to discuss Boeings 737 Max?

Which planes are fly-by-wire?
Image result for how many airliners today are fly by wire
First developed on military aircraft and on Concorde, fly-by-wire technology has equipped all Airbus aircraft including A220 since the first A320, back in 1988 and the most modern version of concurrent aircraft, such as the B777, B787 and Embraer E-jets.Jun 22, 2022

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, DAD said:

thanks for sharing, I have the same observation that the Fenix can be landed just fine manually. just 1 question, though, which A/P mapping do you use? When you disable the AP at around 1:09 it beeps and stays silent. whenever I disconnect the AP it beeps and keeps beeping until I click on the red master warning ... which right before landing is sometime tricky and annoying

I use "autopilot off" both in the Fenix and the A310. Works like a charm. Press once - disconnect AP. Twice: silence the alarm. I've also got "autothrottle disconnect" mapped to another key/button. Not sure how relevant the latter is in the Fenix - I use it mostly in the A310. 

1 hour ago, MDFlier said:

I was I was beginning to wonder if it was just me noticing this. That ILS on 26L is way too low.

Yup, that's the one. https://youtu.be/HkBZ_mLZBEQ?t=4802

1 hour ago, Claudius_ said:

I had a phone call in the middle of this flight test, sorry.

You just hung up on her?! Poor lady. Unless it was a salesperson. On topic: that's some impressive handflying - I usually stick to the autopilot when flying airliners. Bit excessive banking during some of the turns but I understand it was a test. Can see the FBW system kicking in. Landing seemed good - within the touchdown zone, decent fps upon touchdown. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Double post, sorry. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

3 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

You are mixing up runway threshold and touchdown zone. Two different things. Airliners land on the touchdown zone all day long at every airport I have been to, and I have been to some of the largest airports. I don't expect the Fenix, when on the glideslope, to land close to the departure end of the runway, that's for sure. https://skybrary.aero/articles/touchdown-zone-tdz

A landing within the touchdown zone isn't just preferable here, it's necessary for a safe landing. Beyond go-arounds, your calculated landing distance usually assumes crossing the threshold at around 50 feet and touching down within the touchdown zone.Apr 30, 2020

You are partly right - I was probably using the wrong expression. By "touchdown markers" I meant "aim point marking" (2 big white blocks).

2 hours ago, DAD said:

thanks for sharing, I have the same observation that the Fenix can be landed just fine manually. just 1 question, though, which A/P mapping do you use? When you disable the AP at around 1:09 it beeps and stays silent. whenever I disconnect the AP it beeps and keeps beeping until I click on the red master warning ... which right before landing is sometime tricky and annoying

There are many autopilot commands in MSFS and not all do the same job.

Like @Cpt_Piettalready said, you are looking to bind/map the command 'Autopilot off'
I have chosen to bind only this function to the button I use for this on my controller. It's a big red button on my joystick, after all!

You may not need to press the button twice to cancel the AP off alert in the Fenix. I'm pretty sure it stops by itself after the 3 chimes. If not, hit the same button again.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

2 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

You just hung up on her?! Poor lady. Unless it was a salesperson. On topic: that's some impressive handflying - I usually stick to the autopilot when flying airliners. Bit excessive banking during some of the turns but I understand it was a test. Can see the FBW system kicking in. Landing seemed good - within the touchdown zone, decent fps upon touchdown. 

Yes, I got divorced. Usually I manually fly just with WWII flight sims, but sometimes it is very useful with the civilian sims too. I tested the bank angle protection to verify a working fbw, it was there, and I find it rather boring and dangerous, I think that the pilot have to preserve his personal sensibility to the flight. But for us flight simmers it's interesting to learn something new. The landing was good at 1kt wind, I'll try with Xwind and bad weather to see what happens.

FENIX A320 is the best plane I have ever flown, after years of PMDG 747s & 777s. Not going back to Boeing. Airbus certainly better than Boeing in many aspects.

This is what you need to land:

Take it easy man. Relax !!! You need to relax. 

• Like 1

The landing on the Fenix A320 is not consistent. Even when there is hardly any wind (5-7kts) the aircraft is extremely wobbly and hard to keep on glideslope. Other timeS with other liveries it seem to be perfect. Flight modelling is probably not accurate or there is a bug. Its quite frustrating and Im giving up on the whole airbus thing and going back to my old PMDG Boeings. This was my first time trying an Airbus though. I dont like airbus... tooo much automation. Everything is “Managed”...LoL

On 12/14/2022 at 9:28 AM, MDFlier said:

I can confirm this is true too... I thought I ready FT fixed this but I can't seem to find that fix anywhere

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

10 hours ago, Kanwar Singh said:

The landing on the Fenix A320 is not consistent. Even when there is hardly any wind (5-7kts) the aircraft is extremely wobbly and hard to keep on glideslope. Other timeS with other liveries it seem to be perfect. Flight modelling is probably not accurate or there is a bug. Its quite frustrating and Im giving up on the whole airbus thing and going back to my old PMDG Boeings. This was my first time trying an Airbus though. I dont like airbus... tooo much automation. Everything is “Managed”...LoL

A very common complaint from (even IRL pilots) transitioning from a Boeing to an Airbus is "it's wobbly", due to PIO (pilot induced oscillations) - this mostly happens as a result of misunderstanding the principals behind flying a fly by wire Airbus. Generally, if you try to fly it like a Boeing, you'll have a fairly terrible time. 

A helpful thing to remember would be that your stick inputs alter the flight path, instead of thinking about it actuating aileron/elevator. Bump and reset. By this, I mean, when flying the aircraft manually, nudge the stick in the direction you want the airplane to go, and let it center again. Observe what it does. Then put in another input. If you become practised at this, you're bumping, centering, bumping, centering, bumping, centering - while pausing in between to quickly assess the flight path of the aircraft. All this, with your fingertips. The painful way to fly this is to "stir the porridge", i.e you're wiggling the stick around off center all the time, flying it with your "wrist", trying to stay on top of the airplane. It doesn't like that and you'll find yourself wobbling around all over the place. Let the fly by wire work for you.

• Like 2

Aamir Thacker