Sign in to follow this  
Zimmerbz

DX11 or DX12

I have been switching between DX11 and DX12 to see what looks and runs better on my system.  After a few flights on both with the Fenix 320, I saw no performance differences (smooth on both) and visually I saw no difference either.  Am I doing something wrong or is there not much of a difference between the two?  Just curious to hear what you think.  My specs are in my sig.   Thanks!

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

I tried DX12 with SU11 at EGLL and got better performance : appreciably higher FPS / smoothness. But it caused weird issues with the Fenix A320: rotary knobs stopped working once airborne and, on second attempt, ND and other parts of the cockpit became corrupted. DX11 still works but is slower on my system.

12900ks, 3090ti, 32gb 

4 minutes ago, tfm said:

I tried DX12 with SU11 at EGLL and got better performance : appreciably higher FPS / smoothness. But it caused weird issues with the Fenix A320: rotary knobs stopped working once airborne and, on second attempt, ND and other parts of the cockpit became corrupted. DX11 still works but is slower on my system.

12900ks, 3090ti, 32gb 

I didn't have that issue with the Fenix... Everything just seemed the same as DX11 so i didn't know if I did something incorrectly or if the difference is minimal.  Maybe I was expecting too much!

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

I'd never go back to DX11 now, just as I wouldn't go back to DX10 or DX9 either. 

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

For me on my 5 year old PC with a new 2060 super video card there isnt much different FPS wise or visually - however DX12 is smoother overall with much less stuttering.    But with the wide variation of PC configs and settings I think there is no one answer and its just try each one to see how it works for you.....

Edited by marcg11
  • Like 3

No prob with the Fenix in DX12 mode but I do get the occasional random flash that doesn't happen in DX11.

The FPS is about the same.

I found DX12 and DLSS to be both noticeable worse than DX11 and TAA. Particularly the differnce between DLSS and TAA was stark. Flight Deck displays text and graphics where very grainy compared with sharp and clear with TAA. I found appearance between DX11 and DX12 to be identical but locked at 23 or 29fps I noticed microstutters with DX12 whereas everything is very smooth with DX11. i9 10900K at 5.3ghz and 3090

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, St Mawgan said:

I'd never go back to DX11 now, just as I wouldn't go back to DX10 or DX9 either. 

That's Emperor's new cloths syndrome. DX12 is still in Beta and for years DX10 preview was available in FSX never completed until Steve's DX10 fixer and even then I believe most people just didn't use it. like everything else with PC gaming improvement the actual improvements pail in comparison to the hype.

Edited by FBW737
  • Upvote 3

I revisited DX12 after the driver update came out last week. While I didn't have any major issues apart from a couple of graphical anomalies I just find on my system DX11 & TAA just yields a much nicer image and performance between the two is much the same for me. I am sure this will improve over time as DX12 matures in the sim.

At this point I am definitely not a fan of DLSS though

Edited by RJC68
  • Like 1

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

I’ve found that performance is similar with my hardware on both.

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Stuck with DX12 after the driver update and SU10 for a couple of weeks then reverted to DX11 for a few days.  Although there are some graphical issues with DX12 like black and grass squares appearing on a few runways, the performance and smoothness of DX12 means I'm now sticking with it.

DX12 is certainly going to develop in the future and get better and better I believe.  Not sure about DLSS though - I'm sticking with TAA for the time being, though also expect DLSS to get better over time with Nvidia and ASOBO tweaking it bit by bit.

• Like 2

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I notice with DX12 and DLSS my graphic card fan is far quieter than with DX12 and TAA or DX11. So i am living with slightly less crisp visuals to reduce the load on my system. I am sure that extra headroom will be needed in larger cities. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

DX11 for the time being…there are too many glitches with airport ground textures with DX12.

Intel i9 12900K, Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z690-A Wifi D4, GSkill 32gb, RTX 4090

Regards Chris Kathi

I tried several variations and combinations of both. Long story short, I went back to DX11 and TAA. I sometimes used DLSS on "quality" and thought it was pretty nice overall.

But as others have said, the DX12 beta will cause a lot of unusual ground textures issues that are well, pretty bad looking sometimes.

2080ti, 32gb ddr4 and 8086 natural clock to 5.0ghz.

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

I'm seeing no real difference between DX11 or 12. Some airports flicker a little with TAA vs none with DLSS but it's barely even a thing.

The last Nvidia drivers seemed to sharpen up my display blurries considerably and has now and made DLSS a useable option. 

So I take the view that 12 is here let's use it. A year from now 12 will be the norm.

As this Sim evolves month by month we will see this area improve and it's a great thing.

• Like 1

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU