4 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

20:27 the wrapup conclusion:

Yes, he tested the i9 13900k a day ago and found it to be a power hog, needs a monster cooler,  and expensive. Not a good buy.

But he likes the cheaper i5 13600k and points out "this is the last chance for a new DDR4 build or if you want  to hold on to your old DDR4 memory and really cut down on price". 

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

2 hours ago, Fielder said:

20:27 the wrapup conclusion:

Yes, he tested the i9 13900k a day ago and found it to be a power hog, needs a monster cooler,  and expensive. Not a good buy.

But he likes the cheaper i5 13600k and points out "this is the last chance for a new DDR4 build or if you want  to hold on to your old DDR4 memory and really cut down on price". 

Some Great points. The 13600k might not be as good for flight sim due to the l3 cache. 
I just had to make an unexpected rebuild. I elected to go with am4 platform so I could reuse my semi fast ddr4. Decided I’d ride the 5800x3d for a few generations then do another rebuild 

• Like 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

4 hours ago, micstatic said:

Some Great points. The 13600k might not be as good for flight sim due to the l3 cache. 
I just had to make an unexpected rebuild. I elected to go with am4 platform so I could reuse my semi fast ddr4. Decided I’d ride the 5800x3d for a few generations then do another rebuild 

The Z790 DDR4 MB is an option for Intel MBs not on AMD 7000, And temps in games on the 13900K are about the same as AMD CPUs only if you start run synthetic benchmarks software that stress the CPU then both get HOT.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

17 hours ago, RobJC said:

You might want to look at AM5, as that platform will be around for years. It is the 7000 series CPUs. The 5000 series CPUs are AM4, so the time to build a system around that motherboard has passed. Jmho. 

Possibly.  Looks like the release date for those will be Q1 2023 if I'm reading correctly?  Not in a huge hurry so I could try to snag other parts in the meantime and hope there's black Friday sales or something.

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

It`s been noted by some eagle-eyed users that the Z790 CPU cover is marked 17xx-18xx, this may mean the next CPU is compatible.

Edited by G-RFRY

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

More like rest in peace 13900K. Its end of the line.... Unless you're making a minor upgrade, it's a complete waste of time to build around that chip. 

• Like 2

On 10/20/2022 at 9:50 PM, pgde said:

Also, isn't there an issue with Windows11, AMD's 7xxx series and SMT degrading performance? See 

Ooops wrong info sorry 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith

I did a uppgrade for a friend with tight budget for MSFS2020, old system AMD 1800X mobo ASUS crosshair VI hero from 2017 gpu nv1070.

put in a NVIDIA 3080 and flash to the latest bios for the MoBo swap cpu to a 5800X3D uninstall with DDU install new drivers up and running.

perfomance up in pair with latest systems with a 5year old Mobo even that it not support pcie 4.

do this with a intel system from 2017 Z270

ERRONUEOS SUBJECT... Intel only beats AMD by 1 or 2 points on that benchmark; that's not even a quarter of a frame. Meaning , to MSFS, there is absolutely  NO difference . They are both top chips. In fact AMD, may be more beneficial using very high resection and multiple monitors.  🤷‍♂️