Sign in to follow this  
Banfi

"Eliminating" the PC screen projection while in VR

Hi, friends. I have another beginner question, which, I hope, will not make you laugh too much J My question relates to possibility of improving performance in VR.

PC desktop mode is fine. I use almost ultra set up and reach around 60 fps (with RTX 3060 Ti). Great quality and decent performance. On the other side the VR mode is far from good as regard the quality of visuals, not mentioning the poor performance smoothness.

I have ultra wide 21:9 2K monitor (3440 x 1440), which itself reduced the fps when in “normal” mode, which I understand, but when switching to VR, the HP Reverb G2 goggles take another huge portion of PC performance, which I also understand. Switching from normal to VR mode result in enormous drop of fps (around 60 for ultra in PC mode, to 12-20 in VR mode). One option is the minimize quality in VR to high or even less, but are there other options? I was thinking to eliminate the PC screen projection while in VR mode, since the former is taking too much processor capacity away with no reason, as I do not use the monitor while in VR. Is it possible? As I understand, the game is shown simultaneously on PC screen in full 2K mode and on VR goggles, which is enormous waste. Or I am mistaken and the PC screen projections is not running while in VR?

Thank you for any tips.

As far as I know, the 2D screen being on while in VR has minimal or even no performance impact. Getting rid of it does nothing. You'll just have the bite the bullet and turn down the settings. You can however tune the settings quite a lot so that reducing some settings have minimal quality impact.   There are plenty of VR graphics guides out there. I've personally found that many settings have little to no visual difference above medium. 

• Like 1

Thank you, andreh, for your swift reply. It was just my presumption grounded on my limited knowledge of PC working and performance. Wish you a nice day

• Upvote 1

On 10/24/2022 at 2:53 AM, Banfi said:

Hi, friends. I have another beginner question, which, I hope, will not make you laugh too much J My question relates to possibility of improving performance in VR.

PC desktop mode is fine. I use almost ultra set up and reach around 60 fps (with RTX 3060 Ti). Great quality and decent performance. On the other side the VR mode is far from good as regard the quality of visuals, not mentioning the poor performance smoothness.

I have ultra wide 21:9 2K monitor (3440 x 1440), which itself reduced the fps when in “normal” mode, which I understand, but when switching to VR, the HP Reverb G2 goggles take another huge portion of PC performance, which I also understand. Switching from normal to VR mode result in enormous drop of fps (around 60 for ultra in PC mode, to 12-20 in VR mode). One option is the minimize quality in VR to high or even less, but are there other options? I was thinking to eliminate the PC screen projection while in VR mode, since the former is taking too much processor capacity away with no reason, as I do not use the monitor while in VR. Is it possible? As I understand, the game is shown simultaneously on PC screen in full 2K mode and on VR goggles, which is enormous waste. Or I am mistaken and the PC screen projections is not running while in VR?

Thank you for any tips.

Well....the reason why your FPS drops is you are going from a 3440x1440 screen to 2 2160x2160 screens. This is a MASSIVE increase in pixels to push. the G2 is pushing 9.2 million pixels, your 2d screen is only doing 4.9 million pixels. Also don't forget that FPS/hz is king in VR. The more the better, otherwise the immersion is bad on top of making you feel sick. Coupled with the fact that the 3060ti isn't really a strong card to pair with a G2....We all have to turn the settings down to get acceptable VR performance. 

The MSFS display of the goggles wont eat your FPS, they are just a mirror. What you can do though is make WMR window set to not display the headset view...this will be a bit of a bump in performance.

Edited by CaptainNick
  • Like 1

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

15 hours ago, CaptainNick said:

Well....the reason why your FPS drops is you are going from a 3440x1440 screen to 2 2160x2160 screens. This is a MASSIVE increase in pixels to push. the G2 is pushing 9.2 million pixels, your 2d screen is only doing 4.9 million pixels. Also don't forget that FPS/hz is king in VR. The more the better, otherwise the immersion is bad on top of making you feel sick. Coupled with the fact that the 3060ti isn't really a strong card to pair with a G2....We all have to turn the settings down to get acceptable VR performance. 

The MSFS display of the goggles wont eat your FPS, they are just a mirror. What you can do though is make WMR window set to not display the headset view...this will be a bit of a bump in performance.

Dear Nick. This is indeed very simple, clear and helpful answer. Appreciate it and thank you 🙂

I make sure my desktop MSFS window is minimum size and I think it helps because my display is 4K and some resources must be used to display such a large window.  

If I don't make the desktop window as small as possible, when I exit VR, framerates tank to just a few per second or less.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 11:43 PM, CaptainNick said:

What you can do though is make WMR window set to not display the headset view...this will be a bit of a bump in performance.

Yes - this is important (you just press the pause on the WMR screen to turn the live feed off).  Makes a tangible difference on my system in MSFS and a massive difference in X-Plane 11/12.

• Like 2

Ryzen 7 7700x @5.5GHz; ASUS X670-P Motherboard; nVidia 4080 (factory o/c); 32G 5600MHz DDR5 SDRAM; HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, AJZip said:

Yes - this is important (you just press the pause on the WMR screen to turn the live feed off).  Makes a tangible difference on my system in MSFS and a massive difference in X-Plane 11/12.

Appreciate it. Thank you so much 🙂

Everyone says the cost to the GPU is minimal...which tells me nothing.  How minimal?  Maybe it doesn't have to re-render the scene, but there are transistors flipping away in there to show that image.  Has to have some cost....and I get no benefit.  It also can affect the G2 since as I sit here, the front cameras don't see a room, they see an image that also moves in sync....this had caused tracking issues in the past, so I ALT-enter to go to a window then move it off the bottom of the screen to prevent feedback.

It would be better for VR if they would blank the screen or window to black with a bunch of non-moving dots to give the G2 front cameras something to track, instead of a feedback-inducing moving image.

But the devs would only know this if they themselves played and tested in VR.

• Like 1

AMD 7950x3d, MSI 4090 Supreme Liquid, 64GB@6000 CL30, MSI X670E ACE, 4TB Crucial T700 nvme, MSI AIO, Asus 43" HDR1000, Quest Pro, VKB gunfighter, Bravo throttle, TPR, IBM Model M keyboard, Shure SM58

I second the pausing of the WMR mirror. Regarding the tracking, I put a large jpeg of a broadcast test pattern on my screen and it makes a big difference to the tracking.

Edited by Eggs
  • Like 1

I dont see a pause option at the bottom of my WMR screen... is there a setting for this i need to turn on? Going to try the test pattern today too 🙂

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

You need OpenXR and run it in Turbo Mode.

Terrain LOD and Object LOD (no idea what it really does) is set to 25 for VR on my aging system.  But I am getting 30-40 fps in my Quest 2 (which is making it very smooth)

• Like 1

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

3 minutes ago, Skywolf said:

You need OpenXR and run it in Turbo Mode.

Terrain LOD and Object LOD (no idea what it really does) is set to 25 for VR on my aging system.  But I am getting 30-40 fps in my Quest 2 (which is making it very smooth)

Ah! You are using Open XR Toolkiit perhaps... i dont use that ... just WMR... hmmmm

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug