Sign in to follow this  
AviatorMan

Simple to fly turboprop?

I am looking for a turboprop to fly to learn the basics. What aircraft do Avsim users consider to be the best for this? 

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

Another vote for the TBM (assuming you have the deluxe version of MSFS) with the improvement mod (which you can find at https://github.com/luka97/msfs_tbm930_project). This way, you can learn the basics without spending any money. Then, if you decide you like turbo props, you could grab the Kodiak (wheeled, floats, or both). 

In addition, SWS is working on a PC-12 which will hopefully be released before the end of the year. If it's to the same quality as their Kodiak, then it'll be an instant buy for me.

Caravan Steam Gauge...

King Air Steam Gauge...

Kodiak...

• Like 1

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

I second the Caravan Steam gauge.

I have MFS Standard, so no default TBM for me.

Also have the Kodiak 100, which is very nice too.

Beware that turboprop simulation is not complete in MFS. Beta range for instance is not working like IRL, and there are other limitations related to the core turboprop model and the prop physics, but ASOBO has made clear these are areas that will suffer updates / enhancements in future SUs...

To summarize, I would pick the Caravan Steam Gauge.

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

The Kodiak.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I am just now finally getting into MSFS from P3D. After asking here and doing lots of research, I got it down to the Kodiak wheels version or the TBM to do a RTW flight in over the next few months to kick off my MSFS adventure before going back to big iron. Finally selected the Kodiak. If it helps, the reasons are the high wing which allows for better viewing of the scenery, solid SWS reputation and their ongoing updates to the plane and the overall sentiment from people here of how good it is. One major drawback of the TBM, the author of the improvement mod has placed further updates on hold. 

Edited by B777ER

Eric 

Out of the ones already mentioned, I like the Kodiak, but they are all fine.

One more worth considering - the Milviz PC6 .

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

I would go for the Black Square's Caravan as an entry level turboprop. The TBM mod is not bad, but it requires some digging around on github to find the most recent version. 

• Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

For simple to fly I would suggest the Piper Seneca by Carenado or the Justflight Turbo Arrow PA28. The Kodiak is study level. and so may not as accessible (I don't have it so  I'm not sure about that). 

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Is the Asobo PC-6 still all pooped up?  First and last time I tried to fly it a few months ago she wouldn't even start.   Even though I have meni successful hours in the Milviz version.

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

Any of the Carenados will handle a bit easier on the ground, and most of them land fairly smooth.
The V35 is only $15 from the marketplace and you can get a dark cockpit addon.
The c414 if you want something higher fidelity looking graphic wise.

• Like 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

25 minutes ago, Alpine Scenery said:

Any of the Carenados will handle a bit easier on the ground, and most of them land fairly smooth.
The V35 is only $15 from the marketplace and you can get a dark cockpit addon.
The c414 if you want something higher fidelity looking graphic wise.

... and neither of these are turbo prop. 🙈