Sign in to follow this  
Krakin

Feature Discovery Series Episode 15: Helicopters

Edited by Krakin
  • Like 21

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

It says video unavailable, this video is private!

Martin Parr

Retired professional yacht skipper for vessels up to 46m

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

Hopefully this one will work:
https://youtu.be/67_Pc8mouOg

• Like 2

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

it should be fixed now

• Like 6

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

Looks great. 

• Like 2

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

🥰🤩

• Like 2

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I really like it that Asobo explains what and how they develop the sim.

Offcourse the communication channels back in the FS2004/FSX days weren't like they are now, but you also didn't read anything like this in the flight sim magazines you had back than.

• Like 2

Ooooooh.  Looks fun.  Neat that they have assistance mode for those of us without proper helicopter controls.

And they will appear to simulate a lot of rotorcraft-specific items!

Exciting!

• Like 7

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I suck at helikopter flying, nevertheless, looking forward to this!

• Like 5

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Incredible! ... As much as I love and appreciate their insights into how they do the 3D modelling and 3D audio for the new types of aircraft they develop, I could sit there and listen to Seb go on and on about the physics and flight model 🙂... hopefully they'll do an even deeper dive on these topics later.

Particularly cool how the ring vortex effect (https://youtu.be/67_Pc8mouOg?t=408) is simulated where on downward movement of the heli the rotors cause a spiraling vortex to form over them which then reduces its ability to stay in the air. Other aspects of helicopter physics simulated (CFD driven):

I guess the default helis that'll come with the 40th anniv release (Guimbal Cabri G2 and the Bell 407) will make use of all this. Assuming the existing 3rd-party helis will need to be updated to make use of these core features in the sim.

Also good to keep an eye on https://www.helisimmer.com for their expert review of MSFS heli support once it's out there, and all other things heli simming .

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

A new era begins in MSFS2020!!

If you want to really enjoy as real as possible the experience of flying a helicopter, you must use the appropriate hardware.
From my own experience I can recommend the options offered by OE - XAM ( http://oe-xam-simulators.blogspot.com/ ), not because they are better than other brands, but because it is the hardware that I use in my home setting. Remarkable!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Zangoose said:

That helicopter seems to have a Garmin unit in it - I wonder if that is either PMS or TDS or something unannounced. I suppose we shall soon see! 

Looks like this one from Garmin web site

rf-lg-2c09c41e-4e7d-4d14-9448-f1ae619e2d

// 5800X3D // RTX 3090 // 64GB RAM // HP REVERB G2 //

2 minutes ago, polosim said:

A new era begins in MSFS2020!!

If you want to really enjoy as real as possible the experience of flying a helicopter, you must use the appropriate hardware.
From my own experience I can recommend the options offered by OE - XAM ( http://oe-xam-simulators.blogspot.com/ ), not because they are better than other brands, but because it is the hardware that I use in my home setting. Remarkable!

When I used xp11 I definitely considered buying a decent helicopter setup.  I used one at the flight school near by my old facility and it wasn't extremely expensive and it made the sim so much nicer and enjoyable.

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |