Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

Where were you on November 11, 1982?

2 hours ago, lwt1971 said:

Just now a tweet from MS/Asobo.. then vs now, the nostalgia is on point. Looking forward to getting the feels on the new Meigs Field coming in the 40th anniv release 🙂

Are they releasing a recreation of Meigs as it was?...and if so do you know what date they will choose?

(I wont click that link out of principle)

Edited by Sceadu

2 minutes ago, Sceadu said:

Are they releasing a recreation of Meigs as it was?...and if so do you know what date they will choose?

(I wont click that link out of principle)

Good question and don't think they specified clearly about the year or timeline that Meigs would be matched to.. but I'd assume it would be Meigs and immediate area surrounding it, as it was then, but transplanted in the Chicago of now? And only if that airport add-on is installed I'd assume.

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

12 minutes ago, Paul K said:

Two days to go. I'm about to start pacing up and down in expectant-father mode.

After the last couple of updates I have far more of a feeling of dread than expectation. Hopefully I'll be wrong.

40 years ago? Beginning to delve in to the innards of the big IBM systems. I'd been in operations since the late '60s but by the '80s started to get serious and was moving into performance/ internals and the like. Certainly not into flight sims. Never saw the point in all that wire-frame stuff. Only got interested when MS Flight came out 30 odd years later and the graphic capabilities began to become available in PC hardware (which I'd been using for training development stuff pretty much from the beginning).

Good times now though.

• Like 1

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

How far we've come, a near miss of two worlds:

spacer.png

This obvious 'shop of two MSFS versions I made about 5 years ago, and was originally posted in the screenshot forum.  Sorry...couldn't resist the repost here. 

Enjoy, TFM

Edited by TheFamilyMan
  • Like 2

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Can you believe that the Flight Sim program was all on two 5-1/4" floppy disks.  160 KB each.

Roy

• Like 2

I was in 11th Grade at Aiyura National High School, in the highlands of Papua New Guinea when I was introduced to the first flightsim by my British physics teacher. My teenage mind was blown then and still is with MS flightsim successions over the years. It was the first sim that led  me to RW flying both in PNG and the US.

• Like 1

Edited for speeling

Visit the tribe @ http://islandsim.com

Brezhnev died on this day. Our chemistry teacher, a shy girl on 25 y.o., ran into the classroom in tears, sat on her desk and said "The war will start soon, children. This Reagan word not allowed wants to bury us and our country"....

Made this video 2 years ago! It got outdated very quickly with CPUs and GPUs!
Microsoft Flight Simulator - Concept to Reality - 1975 to 2020 - Trailer

Forty years ago I was finishing up my education and getting ready for my first job!

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Beautiful Sunset Flight Over Burlington, Ontario + Cool Instrumental + GoPro Aerial Cameras | 4K

On 11/9/2022 at 8:27 PM, G-YMML1 said:

Brezhnev died on this day.

You have a wonderful memory. I used to know that, but forgot that Flight Sim was born on the day Brezhnev died. He'll never know what he missed.

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

On 11/7/2022 at 7:59 PM, TheFamilyMan said:

Living in a dorm at CSU Chico while in the thick of my Computer Science undergraduate degree.  Heck, at that time I thought that having a full screen editor on an ascii terminal was living the high life; having a personal computer was a luxury well beyond my means though I had a few friends that did.  Dang, those seemed so impressive (and given the tech at that time, they were).

Dude!  I was also living the dorm life that year at Cal State San Bernardino - also a Comp Sci major / Philosophy minor.   There were some Apple IIe's in a small room next to the computer lab full of Televideo terminals (with that unique blue monochrome display they had) that us "serious" students used.  I saw some dude playing Sublogic Flight Simulator on one of those Apples and felt a slight tinge of envy as I went back to work on my Fortran assignment...  🙂

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!