Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

Where were you on November 11, 1982?

Wasn't even thought of then.

• Like 1

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 3200mhz - GTX 3070.

According to my log book, I was crewing on a C-130 Hercules from Christchurch, New Zealand to McMurdo, Antarctica at the beginning of the 1982 Austral summer season in Antarctica. We used sextants to get us there and back but closer to McMurdo we had to use grid navigation because the south magnetic pole, as most of you will well know, is considerably offset from the geographical South Pole. These early season Operation Deep Freeze flights opened up McMurdo and Scott Base from the long dark winter. We took down the new summer changeover personnel, freshies and mail and we bought home the winter-over's. They were the personnel who kept the base operating in the permanent darkness of Antarctica's long winter. On shutdown in Christchurch on a miserably wet tarmac, the winter-overs disembarked the aircraft and stood happily in the rain showering themselves so pleased were they to feel precipitation for the first time in half a year!

None of us were thinking about computers.   

Cheers

Terry    

Edited by Lord Farringdon
  • Like 6

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

I had just started primary school. A few years after that I played my first flightsim and it was a cracker.

• Like 4

I don't know exactly when around that time (probably December) but I went to a large business-sector computing trade show.  Most was still mainframes but there was a big push for the 'new kid on the block'...IBM's weirdly named 'Personal Computer' that was slowly penetrating the UK's consciousness.   And ALL of them were running this brand-new knock-your-socks-off flying simulator as the bait to get folks to stop at their stands. 

Of course, in terms of the individual exhibitors' objectives it was self-defeating as most stands had one running...but it was great for the punters because it gave lots of opportunity to while away the time flying instead of doing the job we were supposed to be doing.  Story of my life ever since...😄   

• Like 2

Ryzen 7 7700x @5.5GHz; ASUS X670-P Motherboard; nVidia 4080 (factory o/c); 32G 5600MHz DDR5 SDRAM; HP Reverb G2

Getting ready to celebrate my 10th anniversary and having no idea such a program even existed 😁

Probably worried about which LEGO set i was gonna get lol.

• Like 1

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

1 hour ago, Lord Farringdon said:

According to my log book, I was crewing on a C-130 Hercules from Christchurch, New Zealand to McMurdo, Antarctica at the beginning of the 1982 Austral summer season in Antarctica. We used sextants to get us there and back but closer to McMurdo we had to use grid navigation because the south magnetic pole, as most of you will well know, is considerably offset from the geographical South Pole. These early season Operation Deep Freeze flights opened up McMurdo and Scott Base from the long dark winter. 

Now that is a real adventure there, must have had quite the time.

• Like 2

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

I was only three so I guess I was pestering my parents and older siblings to the best of my ability.. 😉

• Like 1

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

1 hour ago, Lord Farringdon said:

According to my log book, I was crewing on a C-130 Hercules from Christchurch, New Zealand to McMurdo, Antarctica at the beginning of the 1982 Austral summer season in Antarctica.

Terry

i think we may have passed in the night ...... over the tasman sea.

enjoyed the day / night, celestial etc & of course a well worn chart.

• Like 1

for now, cheers

john martin

Was actively flying the Sublogic flight sim on a Tandy TRS80 Model III - had been for about a year ± at that point iirc. Can't stress enough that in those days, it was just incredible to be able to be at home and "transport" oneself into a simulated realm of flight. Been at it ever since... 

• Like 2

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
i9-9900K - EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC2 Ultra Gaming - 32GB DDR4 3200 - EVGA Z390 FTW - Windows 10 Pro

I was quite young then, so I was probably out playing in the good old British mud.  
At that stage I had a very particular medical issue where I had to go outside and eat soil three times a day so that I wouldn't die - I am lucky my older brother told me about it!  :unsure:

• Like 3

Rob (but call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind).

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

8 hours ago, David Mills said:

Where were you -- and what were you doing -- on November 11, 1982, the day Microsoft Flight Simulator was first introduced 40 years ago?

Flight Simulator wasn't even a thought in my mind at that time.  I didn't purchase my first version until 1986 for a Tandy 1000TX computer.:wacko:😎

• Like 1

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

8 hours ago, David Mills said:

Where were you -- and what were you doing -- on November 11, 1982, the day Microsoft Flight Simulator was first introduced 40 years ago?

As far as I remember, I was working in my office with at the time new PC Intel 286, with a green and small curved monitor and getting close to use the first installment of Flight Simulator several months later. And a lot younger, by the way!

• Like 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

26 minutes ago, vadriver said:

Terry

i think we may have passed in the night ...... over the tasman sea.

enjoyed the day / night, celestial etc & of course a well worn chart.

I'm sure we would have done John 🙂 .  You might appreciate the dilemma one of our Navigators found himself in when departing at about 22:00 from McMurdo with a 06:00 ETA Christchurch. As we headed north, it took some time for the Antarctic sun to set and then it never really did, instead remaining in a sort of permanent twilight until it rose again approaching New Zealand. The poor old nav couldn't  get a decent day or night celestial shot and had to dead reckon us home. But here I am writing about it, so he obviously did a damned fine job in the circumstances 😄.   

Apologies OP for the topic drift.   

• Like 1

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

Was flightsimming on a Sinclair ZX Spectrum (which is still in my attic)

Jean-Jacques

• Like 3

Jean-Jacques Struyf

between EBBR and EBCI