Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

Where were you on November 11, 1982?

Not around yet! But I love hearing all of your stories.

Edited by Sonosusto
  • Like 1

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

I was on my honeymoon in Barbados. Took a Southbound 747 from NYC.

The return flight on another 747 was packed with American college students who were being evacuated from Granada following an attempted coupe by rebel forces.  Coincidentally, it also was some of the worst turbulence I ever experienced, before or after.  I actually had thoughts at the time that it might be a very short marriage...       

Edited by overspeed3
  • Like 2

I was logged into a BBS arguing in ASCII, that MS FS 1.0 was not as good as Sub-Logic's original FS1 version on the Apple II.

• Like 2

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

Probably playing Galaxians on my ZX Spectrum instead of doing my homework. 

• Like 2

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

I was a 6 year old boy living in the Netherlands (still there cause I'm Dutch 😉

My dad was only a couple of weeks away from buying a c64, I think that happened in feb 83. My grandmother died in those weeks so the joy of our new commodore was a little suppressed. Flightsimming was not in the picture yet.

Great stories btw 👍

• Like 1

financing my son and helping him open a computer store selling Commodore 64s

Just after the morning parade of the local Returned Servicemans League remembering all those who died

during all wars since 11- 11 - 1918

• Like 1

4 hours ago, David Mills said:

Where were you -- and what were you doing -- on November 11, 1982, the day Microsoft Flight Simulator was first introduced 40 years ago?

It took me another 4 years to install this flightsimulator on my PC. But once I had it, I never stopped enjoying each new version.....

• Like 1

Menno 

i7-11700, 16GB, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, RTX 3070, Windows 11, MSFS 2020 DeLuxe, P3D 4.5

Most probably shatting in my pampers back then 🤣

• Like 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I was 16 and living the 80s life : long hair, great music and luckily no cell phones. 
We saw eachother outside ….

• Like 6

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

In 1982 i was already in the world of simulation fixing with a clothespin a postcard on the fork of the bicycle so that rubbing against the spokes of the wheel simulating the sound (noise) of an engine. Someone remember that game? It was so funny , as smooth as butter without stutters. 

Edited by LIML2020
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, LIML2020 said:

In 1982 i was already in the world of simulation fixing with a clothespin a postcard on the fork of the bicycle so that rubbing against the spokes of the wheel simulated the sound (noise) of an engine. Someone remember that game? It was so funny , as smooth as butter without srutters. 

Nah, I don't recall because I was too busy at Federated and Babbages sneaking drive music apps onto their PC's, so that when customers walked in everyone heard the drive music orchestra, which inevitably ended up frying all their drives. I was a bad kid. When I was 9, I used to switch price tags on the Floppy Disks at the drug stores, because the clerks never knew what the real price was supposed to be, so I'd get 10 floppies for 25 or 50 cents. I got in trouble one day because my parents asked me how did I get the money to buy all those blank floppy disks 🙂

By the time I was 10, I had about 1500 blank floppies as I recall (well some had stuff on them).

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Probably playing Psion Flight Simulator on a ZX Spectrum. Remember Mono lake and Pyramid lake, and CFIT without ever seeing the terrain.

• Like 3

I vaguely remember those things, mostly remember the name Sinclair. I never played on it as I recall, but I did use an Intellivision. Back in the 80's, you weren't cool unless you owned an Intellivision and an Atari, plus a Laser Disc player. I didn't own a Laser Disc player though. Also, back then all the best technology was only available buying direct from Japan. One of my friends had a console that was like 5 years ahead of everything else, he bought it and several games directly in Japan.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

Ah... somwehere along the 1st year of my journey at Lisbon University, Department of Applied Maths and Computer Science.. 

Two years before, by october I had been given my 1st (ICAO) GPL 🙂

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 2

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...