Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

Where were you on November 11, 1982?

Where were you -- and what were you doing -- on November 11, 1982, the day Microsoft Flight Simulator was first introduced 40 years ago?

• Like 6

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

21 minutes ago, David Mills said:

Where were you -- and what were you doing -- on November 11, 1982, the day Microsoft Flight Simulator was first introduced 40 years ago?

At the Computerland store in Tulsa, Oklahoma, where I was purchasing a copy to evaluate for Autumn Revolution, the name of the Tulsa IBM User Group and publisher of a national newsletter of the same name.  I was not an IBM employee as were most other members of the group.  I understood that "Autumn Revolution" was the IBM internal code name for the IBM PC development.

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I was trying to learn how to program BASIC on my Commodore 64 and playing Choplifter as there was no MS flight sim available for the C64 just yet. As soon as it was available though, I got it and dug into that nice manual and those 4 paper maps I miss so much 🙂 

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

1 hour ago, V1ROTA7E said:

I wasn't even a thought yet. lol

I was in my mommy's tummy!

• Like 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I remember Bruce Artwick and Simlogic back in the early eighties

Sublogic 😉

Edited by laserit
  • Like 3

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

5th Grade... mucking around with my Atari 2600 that I won in one of those scratch contests at McDonalds ! 

• Like 3

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

I was first year of high school, didn't even know what a PC is then, traveled to the US for AVIONICS diploma 1986 and then I knew what A PC is and most amazingly what a flight simulator is, oh boy, the old good days.

• Like 1

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 4K monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.

Waiting for the IBM PCJr to launch... which I bought in 1984 along with my first copy of "Microsoft Flight Simulator for IBM PC and PCJr".  Still have the 149 page handbook.

• Like 3

Bert

28 minutes ago, laserit said:

I remember Bruce Artwick and Simlogic back in the early eighties

Sublogic 😉

A group of us on the before internet Prodigy online service in the early 1990's formed Sunair, Airways of Imagination, the first ever virtual airline, and three of us met with Bruce and Stu Moment at an office at KCMI to inquire of al things, if they could do a custom Sunair paint job for us on their Flight Assignment:ATP simulator aircraft.  Perhaps also the first forey into custom liveries.  They declined as their focus was on keeping ATP fully current on airways and IAP's.  That was shortly after their success in litigation with MS.  Bruce and Stu should clearly be the first inductees into any flight simulator hall of fame.  That Sunair group later migrated to Compuserve after the demise of Prodigy.

There is a lot of rich history to this flight simulator endeavor.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I was in 4th grade, that would have been a Thursday so I was in school.  Couldn't get out of class and didn't have any money of my own anyway.  I was about 3 years away from discovering SubLogic FS II.  In 1982 the only flight sim I knew was a paper airplane.  And I made my share in those days.

• Like 2

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

10 minutes ago, fppilot said:

A group of us on the before internet Prodigy online service in the early 1990's formed Sunair, Airways of Imagination, the first ever virtual airline, and three of us met with Bruce and Stu Moment at an office at KCMI to inquire of al things, if they could do a custom Sunair paint job for us on their Flight Assignment:ATP simulator aircraft.  Perhaps also the first forey into custom liveries.  They declined as their focus was on keeping ATP fully current on airways and IAP's.  That was shortly after their success in litigation with MS.  Bruce and Stu should clearly be the first inductees into any flight simulator hall of fame.  That Sunair group later migrated to Compuserve after the demise of Prodigy.

There is a lot of rich history to this flight simulator endeavor.

I believe ATP had a Short 360?  Or 330?  I seem to remember flying one in ATP, but it could be something else I'm thinking of.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

By an amazing coincidence, the first operational flight of the Space Shuttle was also Thursday, November 11, 1982, the exact day that Microsoft Flight Simulator was introduced. There had been four previous manned test flights of the Shuttle, but November 11 marked the first operational flight, STS-5. STS-5 marked the first time in history that more than three astronauts were carried into space together, and the first time that a satellite payload and human beings were launched aboard the same vehicle. I was watching the liftoff onsite from the Kennedy Space Center on November 11, 1982. So I'll be joyously celebrating both 40th anniversaries this Friday.

• Like 6

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.