Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Crikey, What's Happened After SU11

10 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

I am quite anxious about it all now. I spent most of yesterday testing and all this afternoon. I thought perhaps the terrain LOD had somehow changed after SU11 so I dropped it to 120m from 200. Changed most of settings to either medium or high. The bog standard test scenario is from my local airport EGGD (Bristol) where I have never seen fps drop below 30 in P3D or MSFS anywhere on the airport, even with some setting on ultra. Today it would bounce around 22 with stutters while taxxing and 27/28 at the end of the runway. I'm at a loss now and very miffed!  The thing that makes me so angry is the absurdity of having mandatory updates. I would have been quite happy with my sim several versions back. This having to update at the whim of Asobo and then always, I mean always, having issues is ridiculous. It reminds me of the FSX days.

It's really hard to troubleshoot there are just so many potential troubles.  I can attest for my install TLOD did not change in a bad way at all if anything it's better, more tolerant and I am acutely aware of this aspect.

All my settings remain at Ultra 16x/8x8/OLOD 200/TLOD 110 to 200.  I understand your frustration w/ mandatory updates but I can certainly see why they do it.  For me it helps to expect unforeseen problems and after having just achieved Nirvana (plus a tearline 🙃) was really bummed to have to commence w/ another round of troubleshooting post SU11.  It started w/ PMDG 738 changed its behavior w/ regard to ground maintanence engine and hydraulic service which I had set to off a long time ago so when brakes and nose-wheel steering were dead I started looking into controller settings and they were all good so eventually I remembered this issue.  Then it was just stuttering and poor FTV and I assumed it was SU11 when in reality it was pure server-side caused and that is where I discovered  offline mode off returned to perfect smoothness once again.  Now that they have apparently (and they said it I read) solved server-side issues it's all working as good or a little better than ever.  So there's hope for you too!  

I need to retry AccuSeasons.  It killed perf immediately post SU11 so I uninstalled it and perf improved by around 50%.  But that was still not good at all!  I hope AccuSeasons will not put undo stress on my current perfection and as it see it no way it should after all isn't it really just different colors?  Doesn't make senses to me.  I still also believe it's a very crude approach to implementing seasonal change in MSFS.  I am hoping Asobo does shader-driven vegetation change synced w/ geolocation of your flight including elevation/longitude/latitude/topography and species as able.  To me that would be smooth and seamless subtle change depending on region.  On the north face of Colorado Rockies mountain fall color change rapidly due to the rapid onset of cold temperatures.  Much different in other geolocation and this "organic" approach I think would not be that hard on processing is designed well.

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 hour ago, Noel said:

It's really hard to troubleshoot there are just so many potential troubles.  I can attest for my install TLOD did not change in a bad way at all if anything it's better, more tolerant and I am acutely aware of this aspect.

All my settings remain at Ultra 16x/8x8/OLOD 200/TLOD 110 to 200.  I understand your frustration w/ mandatory updates but I can certainly see why they do it.  For me it helps to expect unforeseen problems and after having just achieved Nirvana (plus a tearline 🙃) was really bummed to have to commence w/ another round of troubleshooting post SU11.  It started w/ PMDG 738 changed its behavior w/ regard to ground maintanence engine and hydraulic service which I had set to off a long time ago so when brakes and nose-wheel steering were dead I started looking into controller settings and they were all good so eventually I remembered this issue.  Then it was just stuttering and poor FTV and I assumed it was SU11 when in reality it was pure server-side caused and that is where I discovered  offline mode off returned to perfect smoothness once again.  Now that they have apparently (and they said it I read) solved server-side issues it's all working as good or a little better than ever.  So there's hope for you too!  

I need to retry AccuSeasons.  It killed perf immediately post SU11 so I uninstalled it and perf improved by around 50%.  But that was still not good at all!  I hope AccuSeasons will not put undo stress on my current perfection and as it see it no way it should after all isn't it really just different colors?  Doesn't make senses to me.  I still also believe it's a very crude approach to implementing seasonal change in MSFS.  I am hoping Asobo does shader-driven vegetation change synced w/ geolocation of your flight including elevation/longitude/latitude/topography and species as able.  To me that would be smooth and seamless subtle change depending on region.  On the north face of Colorado Rockies mountain fall color change rapidly due to the rapid onset of cold temperatures.  Much different in other geolocation and this "organic" approach I think would not be that hard on processing is designed well.

Hi Noel, thanks for the in depth reply. I have followed your lead and uninstalled Accuseasons, but to be honest I think it's something with the PMDG-737. eg, the DC6 will return about 38fps on the runway and 32 while taxiing and very smooth, the 737 as I said earlier will return about 22 while taxiing with lots of stutters. I think I will have to send a ticket to PMDG, although I have a feeling I know what their response will be.  EDIT:- Hmm, at first I thought Accuseasons was going to be the culprit, but as soon as I started to taxi, it started... sometimes getting as low as 19/20fps. Short of a complete reinstall, I can't see what other options are open to me. For others who maybe reading this, it's not a matter of reducing settings, as I have previously experienced perfectly good performance. This is somehting that has just arisen. I can't remember excatly when, but it's happened either since SU11 or the PMDG patch which was just released.

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

You can see my mediocre hardware. LAX (FeelThere) to KBUR (Orbx). KBUR is the place my fps is the worst. I kept down low at 2000 feet which is harder on the fps.  I had set graphics options to Ultra, then turned on DLSS Quality, both LODs at 140.

fps at 52 at LAX, then locks at 60 for most of the flight between airports, and 49-51 at Burbank.

I had one stutter in the 20 minute flight for 1/4 second. Otherwise glass smooth.

This is the same performance as when I first downloaded SU11 beta on its first day. Before with SU 10 I got less fps and lots more stutter. SU 11 continues to be a performance upgrade for me.

I doubt I have Windows settings etc. set better than most everyone else here. It must be hard for Asobo to fix issues when some like me randomly report being very pleased with the new SU, and others have worse performance with this same sim update. What can Asobo to make of the conflicting input?

I don't have server issues either (West Coast USA server always). No popups saying I'm now offline, etc.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

By the way when anyone posts a performance tip on Youtube, I always go ahead and do it even if it seems like it must be a placebo. 

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

2 hours ago, Fielder said:

You can see my mediocre hardware.

You claim to have an RTX 3070. How is this - by any stretch of the imagination - "mediocre hardware"?

2 hours ago, Fielder said:

By the way when anyone posts a performance tip on Youtube, I always go ahead and do it.

Yeah, until the day these placebo and voodoo fixes fubar your Windows installation - cue the next round of posts: how do I fix my busted registry?

99.99% of all so-called performance tips are voodoo or word not allowed, "sold" to you by snake oil salesmen trying to peddle some product.

Since the beginning of flight simulation there has only been one sure-fire way to improve performance, which ist  to turn down your graphics settings.

Edited by Ricardo41
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

Short of a complete reinstall, I can't see what other options are open to me.

Hi Howard,
A complete reinstall is not such an issue and it can make miracles sometimes.
I was facing some serious problems after SU11 (stutters and CTDs) and reinstalling MSFS fixed them.
Just make sure you make a copy of your C:\Users\YOUR NAME\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache and LocalState folders before uninstalling the sim to save your flights and airplanes cameras files.
It will take around an hour or two and you won't regret it.

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

43 minutes ago, David Roch said:

Hi Howard,
A complete reinstall is not such an issue and it can make miracles sometimes.
I was facing some serious problems after SU11 (stutters and CTDs) and reinstalling MSFS fixed them.
Just make sure you make a copy of your C:\Users\YOUR NAME\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache and LocalState folders before uninstalling the sim to save your flights and airplanes cameras files.
It will take around an hour or two and you won't regret it.

Hi David, I think I will have to follow your lead. At least it's not like reinstalling P3d, which I did several times, and it always took the best part of several days!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

14 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

Hi David, I think I will have to follow your lead. At least it's not like reinstalling P3d, which I did several times, and it always took the best part of several days!

I did a complete reinstall of Win 10, MSFS and a few addons that needed their own installers.  It's far easier to do that P3D ever was but takes several hours w/ a good connection but thankfullly its mostly hands off time.  Of note:  performance was not great after this complete reinstall of everything as I began to get hard pauses I never had before!  This may be of interest for you, my recent trouble shooting findings post new installs:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/625977-how-much-stuttering-do-you-experience-in-msfs/?do=findComment&comment=4869414

Of note, a Gsync Ultimate display will arrive today and this obviates the need for RTSS' framerate limiter I'm using currently due to smoothest performance albeit w/ the tear line.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

What would be the proper method of an uninstall?  Just run the Windows uninstaller?

i9 9900K at 4.9ghz, MSI RTX 3080, 32 G RAM, (3) 1TB SSD 

SU 11 is buggier, SU 10 was better. The new planes are nice, but they should have left the other stuff out of the build until it was ironed out.

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

27 minutes ago, Alpine Scenery said:

SU 11 is buggier, SU 10 was better. The new planes are nice, but they should have left the other stuff out of the build until it was ironed out.

Yeah in hindsight they didn't actually need many core improvements other than everything associated with Choppers and Gliders, they didn't need to touch the AI and release it broken for example. They could've left that on the back burner, called this a Content Update and waited until other fixes worked properly.

I sigh every Sim update, some things are so obvious but they continually make silly little errors which makes every update more a concern of what it breaks not what it brings.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

I'm not sure if it's related to the Fenix or AMD but but always clearing cache before starting MSFS seems to improve the frames from the teens to the SU10 levels for me ...

43 minutes ago, Alpine Scenery said:

When is black Friday sales starting? 

14ppkc-6.png

1 hour ago, MarcG said:

Yeah in hindsight they didn't actually need many core improvements other than everything associated with Choppers and Gliders, they didn't need to touch the AI and release it broken for example. They could've left that on the back burner, called this a Content Update and waited until other fixes worked properly.

I sigh every Sim update, some things are so obvious but they continually make silly little errors which makes every update more a concern of what it breaks not what it brings.

It could be something as simple as the new CFD atomopheric modelling, in place for gliders, isn't playing nicely with some configuratons for whatever reason.  That is a new feature, and obviously isn't "free", so there go a few more CPU cycles.  How many?  That'd be the question.

I'm not saying that is the reason, that is just one example of where it's difficult to separate concerns.

This is a wildly complex piece of software, to the point where sometimes it's not possible to even release a new plane without "core" simulator updates.  

I think they're doing really well with this so far, and the (FREE) content still flows.

I an in the porcess of reinstalling a backup from four weeks ago, so will wait and see how that works out. If that doesn't work, then it will be a complete reinstall.

Howard