Sign in to follow this  
btacon

Aircraft and Avionics Beta: The 700 Longitude Is A Blast

2 minutes ago, Bdub22 said:

We used to be able to access charts before in WT mods. I'm confused. 

The WT mod is now official, hence licensing issues come into play. 

• Upvote 1

Yes. This is no longer a "mod". This is part of the base game, and as such, they can't just bring in Navigraph charts without some sort of agreement. As long as Navigraph builds a plugin that shows the charts, it should all be the same in the end. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

I'm sure the flight model needs some finetuning, but during vnav descent, the Longitude met all speed and altitude targets. Occasionally, vnav went off profile but recovered quickly. 

I'm sure more knowledgeable folks can elaborate and clarify further.

That pretty much word for word describes my experience with the new Longitude. Good navigation system depth and functionality always with a focus on automation, as is the case in the real aircraft. 

I’ll say it again..it’s a Blast!

-B

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

1. TOGA mode engaged
2. Autothrottle armed
3. Push throttles forward to TO position
4. I use FLC for the climb
5. I never touch manual speed until I need to slow down to approach speeds
6. Autothrottle retards at 50 feet agl

I'm sure the flight model needs some finetuning, but during vnav descent, the Longitude met all speed and altitude targets. Occasionally, vnav went off profile but recovered quickly. 

I'm sure more knowledgeable folks can elaborate and clarify further. 

Thanks a lot! I got confused with the throttles to TO position (tried only pushing the TO/GA button).

Will the engine thrust be automatically reduced at some stage after takeoff? Like in the A320 there's a thrust reduction altitude. 

I agree the plane flies VNAV path beautifully, it's really impressive. And I much prefer the G5000 in the Longitude to the avionics in the CJ4. 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

8 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Will the engine thrust be automatically reduced at some stage after takeoff?

Yes, autothrottle goes from Hold to Climb FMS FLC 250kt. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Will the engine thrust be automatically reduced at some stage after takeoff? Like in the A320 there's a thrust reduction altitude. 

They do, but it's less audible than in something like a A320, where the throttles are pulled back to CLB.  During climb, the FACECs in the Longitude are maintaining MCT%, which gradually reduces with increased altitude.  Straight after TO, the initial reduction is pretty small.

Just a tip re: the autothrottle, don't forget to check the rotary speed knob on the MCP ("FMS" vs "Manual").   I wasn't getting the profile speeds that I'd entered, then spotted that the speed knob was still in Manual!   Alternatively, you can keep it in Manual of course and just adjust the IAS value yourself, as per standard FLC mode.

Edited by JYW
  • Like 2

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

11 minutes ago, JYW said:

Just a tip re: the autothrottle, don't forget to check the rotary speed knob on the MCP ("FMS" vs "Manual").   I wasn't getting the profile speeds that I'd entered, then spotted that the speed knob was still in Manual!   Alternatively, you can keep it in Manual of course and just adjust the IAS value yourself, as per standard FLC mode.

Just did a takeoff and the MCP speed was in FMC. But after transitioning to CLB thrust, the target speed stayed at 170kts. So I changed to manual speed. Otherwise the takeoff went well. 

EDIT: Just remembered, I had FLC active, not VNAV, for the takeoff. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

11 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

EDIT: Just remembered, I had FLC active, not VNAV, for the takeoff. 

Yes, you can set VNAV on the flight director on the ground in the Longitude now. The amazing new G3000/G5000 is (partially) modelling Garmin advanced VNAV, which is climb profiles as well as descent.

I have noticed though, that when you take off with VNAV, the annunciation will initially be "V  TO".  It should then automatically transition to "V FLC" but currently doesn't, unless you press FLC.   The "V" then remains (as long as the speed knob is set to "FMS") along with "FLC", and the correct climb speeds are used.

If you don't hit FLC after take off, the profile seems to stay in "V TO" mode.

Edited by JYW

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

On 12/9/2022 at 3:36 PM, RabH said:

I finally got to try the update properly today and I have to say it is just superb, although I did have some problems getting the autothrottle and autpilot to behave properly with my first flightplan. I was attempting a flight from Glasgow to Manchester using a Simbrief flightplan and everytime I tried the autothrottle wouldn't hold the speed resulting in me switching to manual throttle, also the autopilot wouldn't follow the flightplan to Norbo! This was my routing!"EGPF NORB1H NORBO T256 ORVUL/N0434F230 T256 DCS L612 LAKEY LAKE1M EGCC" and I just couldn't get the plane to turn to the Norbo fix, other than using the DIR function! Eventually I decided to try the flight in the opposite direction and everything worked as it should have and I was totally blown away! It wasn't perfect as I had some poropoising at times using FLC but that was probably down to me...

Hi RabH. The turn for NORBO is quite tight. I'm wondering if you have set too high an airspeed for the turn. Perhaps try using a slower airspeed for that particular departure. Do you have the Track Vector set up to display in the Map Page. This would indicate to you the anticipated direction to get/keep you on track.

Regards...Kenny

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kenny584 said:

Hi RabH. The turn for NORBO is quite tight. I'm wondering if you have set too high an airspeed for the turn. Perhaps try using a slower airspeed for that particular departure. Do you have the Track Vector set up to display in the Map Page. This would indicate to you the anticipated direction to get/keep you on track.

Regards...Kenny

Kenny, you may well be right about that. The following day I repeated the flight but it was now runway 05 and it made the turn no problem, probably because it wasn't so tight a turn. I've had many other flights since then and it has worked almost flawlessly so I'm a very happy bunny👍Thanks a lot for your input.

i9-11900k@5.1ghz | MSI Rtx3080ti 12gb | 32gb DDR4 Ram 3600mhz | 1Tb M.2 SSD | 4K LG C1 48" TV | Asus Tuf Gaming VG27AQ 27"  | Corsair iCUE H100i  Liquid Cooler |

On 12/8/2022 at 5:17 PM, Espana Pete said:

Yes, the G5000 is a big difference to the G3000 I was also used to and no matter how I try I have failed to enter the flight plan manually as is required until WT enables import direct from Simbrief or Navigraph.  Roll on a decent Idi0ts Guide to the G5000 is what I need.

None of the aircraft in this update will be getting Simbrief integration because of rights or something.

I think Navigraph said they'd be looking into making their own addon for it?

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

None of the aircraft in this update will be getting Simbrief integration because of rights or something.

I think Navigraph said they'd be looking into making their own addon for it?

Simbrief integration should be coming back. The A310 has it, for example. Embedded charts has to be done by Navigraph, MSFT can't/don't want to build it in directly, likely for legal reasons (if you don't have a Navigraph subscription, should the game then encourage you to buy one? Doesn't make sense. OTOH, you buy a Navigraph sub, they give you a plugin that integrates with the game, done.)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Personally I really like the Garmin update, but I find the Longitude really twitchy and wild in both manual and autopilot mode, maybe it's just me.

• Like 1

Keep being impressed by the VNAV in this aircraft. Just descended in VNAV PTH all the way from FL430 to IAF to the RNAV approach into KLAS at 3800ft. It kept all the speed and altitude restrictions along the way. The G5000 is such a breeze to use - most of it is self-explanatory. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bendead said:

Personally I really like the Garmin update, but I find the Longitude really twitchy and wild in both manual and autopilot mode, maybe it's just me.

Nah, not just you. The autopilot is way too aggressive and twitchy. 

• Like 1