Sign in to follow this  
V1ROTA7E

Blackbird…*caugh*…Milviz puts ATR project on hold

2 minutes ago, Donka said:

I wonder if the Asobo Porter had any bearing on this. Blackbird took their time to get Phase 2 released and wonder if that was due to an impact on sales.

It didn’t help to boost the Porter profitability, I suppose. Besides, the war in Europe has an impact on some dev including Milviz as they employ the talents of free lancers from Eastern Europe. 

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

That’s too bad, but understandable.  I’m sure it wasn’t an easy decision with the sunk costs they’ve already incurred but probably the best business decision to at least wait and see before investing more.

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

6 hours ago, jbdbow1970 said:

Unfortunate news. Ms will not sell anything High Fidelity with a higher price and will cater to the general/casual market.

This is a pretty odd comment to make, bearing in mind the effort Asobo has gone through for a lot of what we see today. Yeah it's not perfect at the moment, but they sure as hell aren't half-assing it.

Anyway sad news from Milviz, but from a business perspective it makes sense. Why inject cash in a project you're not sure will pan out financially. We'll see what Hans puts out and Milviz can take action from there. Hell, even re-target to P3D if they need to.

• Like 1

Thr ATR will appeal to a niche market. If Blackbird and Asobo release an ATR that are indistinguishable in fidelity, the winner goes to the first to release. The Asobo version has backing from ATR themselves which is huge. As Blackbird mentioned, the Asobo version will most likely sell cheaper than what Blackbird needs to make a profit and recoup high development costs.

By the time Blackbird would get their ATR to market, 90% of the customer base would have already bought the Asobo one. This is a smart decision by Blackbird. We will still get a really good ATR so not much to worry about. Now Blackbird can shift their resources to other aircraft from their lineup. 

• Like 2

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

8 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

Hans Hartmann is no joke.

Isn't he the one that took like 7-8 years to finish the Aerosoft CRJ for FSX/P3D?

• Upvote 1

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force, Retired

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Former B-1B Crew Chief / Flightline Maintenance Expediter

Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector

Formerly Young (😩)

42 minutes ago, b1bmsgt said:

Isn't he the one that took like 7-8 years to finish the Aerosoft CRJ for FSX/P3D?

That was 7 years to initial release. Add on another 3-4 years of different "versions" of the same plane into P3D and MSFS. After all that the CRJ still can't reliably make a turn without losing the flightpath.

I prefer regional jets to the longhaul types but immediately lost interest in this ATR when HH was mentioned as the developer. Should he ever figure out the CRJs I'll reconsider.

• Upvote 3

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

4 hours ago, Nuno Pinto said:

I....er... uh... Yeah, nevermind (CRJ?).

As for Milviz, although it is sad to see it's nothing i wasn't expecting, they have a REALLY long development cycle (Yeah, B350i, i moved to MSFS a few months after finally being able to fly it).

Wait what?  He did the crj?  I thought that was aerosoft and not Hans.  Well heck...the crj isnt a great addon.  If that's the case it's most unfortunate that blackbird is on hold.

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hans Harmann was one of the team that developed the Flight1 ATR - to date still the best ATR released for any flight simulator.  Even then it had a high level of system depth.

I am sure the upcoming release will not disappoint.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7800X3D  + RTX 4080 + 32GB DDR5

1 hour ago, ryanbatc said:

Wait what?  He did the crj?  I thought that was aerosoft and not Hans.  Well heck...the crj isnt a great addon.  If that's the case it's most unfortunate that blackbird is on hold.

I still have some hope on quality. The CRJ was a bit rushed, some elements ported from previous sims, and the SDK was still young.

I don't know if the modern ATR was released on P3D

Edited by bendead

1 hour ago, ryanbatc said:

He did the CRJ. Yes. But the hate I see for it is quite unfair. 

1: the ones calling the shots on it are Arosoft, not Hans, so they decided the kind of simulation depth they wanted and the features. Microsoft has said they want a high definition addon for the ATR, and looking at the A310, they're not afraid to deliver just that.

2: The CRJ was literally the first semi-complex airliner add-on for the sim. It wasn't perfect, but it was still very, very good for the time. How much updating it gets is again Aerosoft's call, not Hans'

• Like 2

spacer.png

News Editor at Techraptor, previously at Twinfinite.

spacer.png

I personally quite enjoy flying the crj. I think it doesn’t get enough credit. Yeah it’s not perfect…

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

You can listen to Hans talk about the ATR on the developers stream from a month ago (45mins in). They have been working directly with ATR and have full support from them 

Curious why we think two companies talking to each other to determine the products each company will sell to us is a good thing. That can lead to price fixing, bad products, etc. Competition is the key to innovation and lower prices.

Edited by N9718
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2

FSX Gold SP2 (FSGen + GEX + UTX + REX) --- XP10 / XP11 --- MSFS 2020

Intel i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz / 16GB / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo / MFG Crosswind v3

20 minutes ago, N9718 said:

That can lead to price fixing, bad products, etc.

It can, but close or duplicated products are also not only bad for the devs (who have to share profit) but also for us, because it means an opportunity was lost to bring another highly wanted aircraft. There are so many more: how about an U-2, a DC-8, DC-9, 742, DC-10...? My dream would be a CV-990. These flew in times, when speed was not limited to 250 below 10000. The Swissair Coronado is told to have flown fake attacks on ships in the port of Piraeus.

1 hour ago, Abriael said:

and looking at the A310, they're not afraid to deliver just that.

To be fair, the A310 was already in development before Microsoft came in and paid them to include it in the base sim. No idea if the ATR was already planned before MS got involved.