Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

Women in Swimwear on MSFS Forum

I hope the moderators will permit me to tell you a very funny story -- an embarrassing story that makes me look quite uninformed about the technology of targeted internet advertising.

Starting a few months before Christmas, I began noticing a lot of pictures here on the MSFS forum of women in swimsuits. Now these pictures were very tastefully showcased, and there was nothing inappropriate whatever about them. You could have shown these same photos on any television program. Trust me, I had no complaints at all.

Nonetheless, I couldn't help wondering why clothing manufacturers would choose to advertise their women's swimwear here on AVSIM. That didn't make any sense to me. Most of the users here are male, and the female members of AVSIM certainly don't log onto this site to shop for bathing suits. So why, I wondered, would swimwear merchants choose to pay money for these ads on AVSIM? Again, I wasn't complaining. I was just perplexed.

Finally, on New Year's Eve, after a few beers, I thought I'd figured out the reason for these seemingly-out-of-place ads. I knew that Bob Scott, AVSIM President & CEO, was a very adventuresome, accomplished, and entrepreneurial-type guy. So I concluded that Bob Scott had probably launched a new business venture and was using his popular AVSIM website to promote his new products -- women's swimwear. After a few more beers, it all made perfect sense to me. I had seen the big picture. For once I felt intellectually superior to @abrams_tank for having figured this out all by myself.

What I didn't understand of course is that the ads you see on the MSFS forum are largely determined by your web browsing history. Everyone sees different ads because everyone's browsing history is different. If you've been browsing for a new set of golf clubs, you're going to see golf club ads on AVSIM and other websites. If you've been browsing websites for auto parts, you'll be seeing ads pop up everywhere for auto parts, even on websites that have nothing to do with auto parts.

So the reason I kept seeing ads for women's swimwear on AVSIM was because …

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

I never see any ads on AVSIM...guess Bitdefender is doing it's job!  😀

• Like 2

System: i7-11700K, ASUS Prime Z590M-PLUS Motherboard, G-Skills Trident Z Series 64 GB DDR4 3200, Corsair RM1000x80 PLUS Gold, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll, GeForce RTX 4070 Super FE, NVIDIA Drivers 552.44, WD Blue NVMe m2  500GB SSD for Windows 10 Home v21H2,  WD Black SN850X 2 TB NVMe m2  for MSFS, Toshiba 2TB HD for data and other programs, ViewSonic XG2705-2K  27" 2560x1440 144hz Monitor,  Thrustmaster Airbus flight stick, Logitech M510 wireless Mouse.

Hello,

You can use Ublock and Ghostery extensions : no more ads !
Everybody should clean their browser (history, cache, cookies) at least once a month.
Choosing the right browser is also important if you want your privacy to be respected.

• Like 2

I do get a lot of ad's for the brand of women's clothing I had bought for my wife for Christmas. I use AdBlock on my PC but my mobile gets pretty swamped when I look at Avsim there. I'm yet to find a good blocking service for mobile. 

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

I am and have been a member on various forums that outlaw the use of adblockers and the like because it denies the site owners of (one of) their income streams. 

i9-13900K | 6400MHz DDR5 (32GB) | GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | ViewSonic 27in QHD VA 165Hz Curved | Windows 10 |

MSFS Premium Deluxe | PMDG 737 | PMDG 777 | Horizon 787-9

Marc

😄
Love your self-deprecating humor, Dave !

• Like 2

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

This has "Hangar Chat" all over it. Maybe the mods can move it over to the appropriate spot?

• Like 1

That's why I use an adblocker.....

Edited by W2DR
  • Upvote 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

On 1/15/2023 at 7:50 PM, David Mills said:

So the reason I kept seeing ads for women's swimwear on AVSIM was because …

52633134681_78aac2c6bf_k.jpg

This post showed up in my phones suggested news stories. It made it sound like someone was posting swimwear pics. I quickly clicked the link to check.

Edited by Maladoror

Alienware Aurora R13, i9 12900K, Z690, 3080ti, 64GB DDR5, 2TB NVMe

Give a rest. These ads are from Google or an ad site . AVSIM does not have control over what Is shown. We have posted numerous  times that ADBLOCK eliminates this.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals