Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Carenado Archer Mini Review

I was hesitant at first to pick this addon up, but for 20 bucks this thing is a steal.  I cut my teeth on a Piper very similar to this about 20 years ago - learning to fly out of Flying Cloud, MN (KFCM).  It was right before Sept 11th - and that happened and I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to pursue a career as a pilot.  I ended up flying some at FCM and then when I got to college I started flying to get my PPL in a Warrior III (which looks very similar to the Carenado Arrow III cockpit but with fixed pitch prop and fixed gear).  I will do a mini review of the Arrow but I am awaiting a Carenado update for better avionics and flight model refinements.

Anyway so I flew a few hours in a piper like this one (160hp).  I earned my PPL ASEL in a Warrior III (160hp) while in college.  After college I also flew an Archer II (180hp) exactly like this one for a few hours as well.  I guess I've been a low wing flyer for most of my adult life.  I have a handful of hours in basic cessnas, and then of course many recent more hours in the Beech Musketeer (fixed pitch prop/fixed gear/200hp).  The Musketeer is a little less forgiving than the hershey bar trainer the Warrior/Archer is.  Anyway enough rambling - but I did want to explain my history with low wings and that if you don't like to read a bunch - well just get the Archer from Carenado!  

Previously I thought the FSW C414 to be the finest texturing in a general aviation addon.  I would say Carenado has claimed the throne once again with this Archer.  The model and texturing is exquisite.  The textures are crisp and clear.  The day I bought it I went into VR and it felt like my first flight all over again.  The sounds...  oh the exterior sounds are spot on - they nailed em.  The handling, the wimpy stall horn, just like I remember.  The power on and off stalls.... just really a mush in the warrior and archer - Carenado seems to have replicated this.  Recovery is really simple , just full power, relax the pressure on the yoke to offload the wing, carefully retract a notch of flaps or two.  And of course don't use ailerons if a wing dips (you don't typically see that in the warrior, maybe a little more in the archer)... use rudder to keep the aircraft in coordinated flight.  I've found the C172 to break a bit more aggressively during stall practice.  Still fun though.  

This bird comes with the typical WT GNS430, the PMS GTN750 or TDS GTN 750Xi.  I did not test the PMS or use the GNS430 too much but the LPV GP (or any rnav approach with vertical guidance) works on the TDS for certain.  There is no autopilot.  Which I believe is totally reasonable and irl I never had one.  However in the sim I would love to see a simple 2 axis (or even though I'm not a huge fan, the default KAP140).  I have seen nicer Archers and Dakotas with AP's irl.  It's nice for the those longer hauls in the sim at the very least.  Also just a preference I'd love to see a GTN 650/650Xi as an option - standalone.  It would be more common to use a 430 or 650 in this plane imo.  (Then again I've seen a C152 irl with a GTN 750!)  There is instrument backlighting although it is a touch dim, and there is a red dome light as well (and a white cabin light).  You can definitely fly IFR but of course there is no icing protection (aside from required pitot heat).  I do not see an option to exclude the GNS430W (in other words no way to fly only with classic radios).  Also, an unfortunate first, I do not see any POH/perf charts in the install directory.  Maybe they forgot?  I had to dig some of my old stuff out.  I do find it to hit perf numbers pretty well.  There does seem to still be some odd Asobo mixture/leaning bug....  I just feel in the sim you have to lean out soooo much to do a basic best power config.  Maybe Asobo will work on this as we progress.

Landing feels great to me and don't forget to transition your eyes down the runway as you're 5-10 ft above the ground and hold the nose off just a little.  Depending on weight I found 60-70 kias to be a good final approach speed with full flaps... and then touchdown maybe around 50?  When I was in college (and a lot lighter!) I once calculated my Vso to be 38 kias!  I was super thin and the plane wasn't full of fuel...  anyway crazy times hehe!

You know, around here opinions are a dime a dozen - but for 20 USD... it's a great addon.  You won't get A2A quality (we need that Comanche stat!), but you're getting stellar textures/modelling, great sounds, flight model and a nice avionics selection at a fair price.

Unlike my usual Point A to B flight I've just selected some shots from a variety of flights...  two of the paints aren't in the default install - I did a color swap for N8068C and there's a Tim-HH one as well in there.  I may have heard a rumor that Tim is getting back into painting 😉

52667426281_0f80b7cc4c_k.jpg1 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

52667717389_0b11e415f6_k.jpg2 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

52667426096_9cc95a3b05_k.jpg3 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

All the registrations are dynamic so you can add whatever - this one and the red one have callsigns on the wing top and bottom (not appropriate in USA unless pipeline or skydiving but works elsewhere afaik)

52667863225_d6568e8352_k.jpg4 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

52667931158_730c046cd9_k.jpg5 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

The WT GNS430W looks right at home here - the warrior I flew had a KLN90B and then later in my training we got the Garmin 430W.  The interior just looks freaking great!

52667717024_6a90d1ed50_k.jpg6 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

I looked at the Mooney and this is a LOT higher texture quality.  I think I spent almost double on the M20R when it was first released.

52667425711_096331382a_k.jpg7 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

I wouldn't have minded some more modern schemes (help Tim!) but it's okay as the Archer is pretty old school

52666929752_d5145b7a07_k.jpg8 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

52667862795_33b80a65e0_k.jpg9 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

52667862640_34834ec0d8_k.jpg10 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

52666929377_191fff7795_k.jpg11 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

52667425216_dbac91fd6c_k.jpg12 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

I just love this pic for some reason

52667930298_a12bddfbd6_k.jpg13 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Day/Night IFR/VFR equipped 

52667930193_525066d0cb_k.jpg14 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

52667424876_9e0f460b1e_k.jpg15 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

52667424776_b385a7adde_k.jpg16 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

52667424711_d257c3ef2d_k.jpg17 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Short final in Duluth - see the yellow circles on either side of the runway?  Those mark the location the barrier cable - which retracts and extends above the runway when needed.  It's for the F16's based there that have a tail hook in case of emergency.   They grab the cable just like on a carrier.

52667424611_5aa7ea2f8e_k.jpg18 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

• Like 14

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

3 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

I was hesitant at first to pick this addon up, but for 20 bucks this thing is a steal.  I cut my teeth on a Piper very similar to this about 20 years ago - learning to fly out of Flying Cloud, MN (KFCM).  It was right before Sept 11th - and that happened and I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to pursue a career as a pilot.  I ended up flying some at FCM and then when I got to college I started flying to get my PPL in a Warrior III (which looks very similar to the Carenado Arrow III cockpit but with fixed pitch prop and fixed gear).  I will do a mini review of the Arrow but I am awaiting a Carenado update for better avionics and flight model refinements.

Anyway so I flew a few hours in a piper like this one (160hp).  I earned my PPL ASEL in a Warrior III (160hp) while in college.  After college I also flew an Archer II (180hp) exactly like this one for a few hours as well.  I guess I've been a low wing flyer for most of my adult life.  I have a handful of hours in basic cessnas, and then of course many recent more hours in the Beech Musketeer (fixed pitch prop/fixed gear/200hp).  The Musketeer is a little less forgiving than the hershey bar trainer the Warrior/Archer is.  Anyway enough rambling - but I did want to explain my history with low wings and that if you don't like to read a bunch - well just get the Archer from Carenado!  

Previously I thought the FSW C414 to be the finest texturing in a general aviation addon.  I would say Carenado has claimed the throne once again with this Archer.  The model and texturing is exquisite.  The textures are crisp and clear.  The day I bought it I went into VR and it felt like my first flight all over again.  The sounds...  oh the exterior sounds are spot on - they nailed em.  The handling, the wimpy stall horn, just like I remember.  The power on and off stalls.... just really a mush in the warrior and archer - Carenado seems to have replicated this.  Recovery is really simple , just full power, relax the pressure on the yoke to offload the wing, carefully retract a notch of flaps or two.  And of course don't use ailerons if a wing dips (you don't typically see that in the warrior, maybe a little more in the archer)... use rudder to keep the aircraft in coordinated flight.  I've found the C172 to break a bit more aggressively during stall practice.  Still fun though.  

This bird comes with the typical WT GNS430, the PMS GTN750 or TDS GTN 750Xi.  I did not test the PMS or use the GNS430 too much but the LPV GP (or any rnav approach with vertical guidance) works on the TDS for certain.  There is no autopilot.  Which I believe is totally reasonable and irl I never had one.  However in the sim I would love to see a simple 2 axis (or even though I'm not a huge fan, the default KAP140).  I have seen nicer Archers and Dakotas with AP's irl.  It's nice for the those longer hauls in the sim at the very least.  Also just a preference I'd love to see a GTN 650/650Xi as an option - standalone.  It would be more common to use a 430 or 650 in this plane imo.  (Then again I've seen a C152 irl with a GTN 750!)  There is instrument backlighting although it is a touch dim, and there is a red dome light as well (and a white cabin light).  You can definitely fly IFR but of course there is no icing protection (aside from required pitot heat).  I do not see an option to exclude the GNS430W (in other words no way to fly only with classic radios).  Also, an unfortunate first, I do not see any POH/perf charts in the install directory.  Maybe they forgot?  I had to dig some of my old stuff out.  I do find it to hit perf numbers pretty well.  There does seem to still be some odd Asobo mixture/leaning bug....  I just feel in the sim you have to lean out soooo much to do a basic best power config.  Maybe Asobo will work on this as we progress.

Landing feels great to me and don't forget to transition your eyes down the runway as you're 5-10 ft above the ground and hold the nose off just a little.  Depending on weight I found 60-70 kias to be a good final approach speed with full flaps... and then touchdown maybe around 50?  When I was in college (and a lot lighter!) I once calculated my Vso to be 38 kias!  I was super thin and the plane wasn't full of fuel...  anyway crazy times hehe!

You know, around here opinions are a dime a dozen - but for 20 USD... it's a great addon.  You won't get A2A quality (we need that Comanche stat!), but you're getting stellar textures/modelling, great sounds, flight model and a nice avionics selection at a fair price.

Unlike my usual Point A to B flight I've just selected some shots from a variety of flights...  two of the paints aren't in the default install - I did a color swap for N8068C and there's a Tim-HH one as well in there.  I may have heard a rumor that Tim is getting back into painting 😉

52667426281_0f80b7cc4c_k.jpg1 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

52667717389_0b11e415f6_k.jpg2 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

52667426096_9cc95a3b05_k.jpg3 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

All the registrations are dynamic so you can add whatever - this one and the red one have callsigns on the wing top and bottom (not appropriate in USA unless pipeline or skydiving but works elsewhere afaik)

52667863225_d6568e8352_k.jpg4 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

52667931158_730c046cd9_k.jpg5 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

The WT GNS430W looks right at home here - the warrior I flew had a KLN90B and then later in my training we got the Garmin 430W.  The interior just looks freaking great!

52667717024_6a90d1ed50_k.jpg6 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

I looked at the Mooney and this is a LOT higher texture quality.  I think I spent almost double on the M20R when it was first released.

52667425711_096331382a_k.jpg7 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

I wouldn't have minded some more modern schemes (help Tim!) but it's okay as the Archer is pretty old school

52666929752_d5145b7a07_k.jpg8 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

52667862795_33b80a65e0_k.jpg9 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

52667862640_34834ec0d8_k.jpg10 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

52666929377_191fff7795_k.jpg11 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

52667425216_dbac91fd6c_k.jpg12 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

I just love this pic for some reason

52667930298_a12bddfbd6_k.jpg13 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Day/Night IFR/VFR equipped 

52667930193_525066d0cb_k.jpg14 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

52667424876_9e0f460b1e_k.jpg15 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

52667424776_b385a7adde_k.jpg16 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

52667424711_d257c3ef2d_k.jpg17 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Short final in Duluth - see the yellow circles on either side of the runway?  Those mark the location the barrier cable - which retracts and extends above the runway when needed.  It's for the F16's based there that have a tail hook in case of emergency.   They grab the cable just like on a carrier.

52667424611_5aa7ea2f8e_k.jpg18 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

I trained on the Warrior and Archer at Schaumburg Airport just outside of Chicago, and was almost ready for my check ride when September 11th happened. I had to spend some more hours because we were grounded for some time. Fortunately I got my ticket in November of 2001.

Cheers, Pete

• Like 2

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

Nice review - and, in my opinion, an excellent rendition by Carenado

• Like 2

Ryzen 7 7700x @5.5GHz; ASUS X670-P Motherboard; nVidia 4080 (factory o/c); 32G 5600MHz DDR5 SDRAM; HP Reverb G2

Great composition of nice screenies with a fine description and review.

• Like 3

looks real good!

• Like 1

All my FSX/P3D repaints are here on Avsim, for my MSFS repaints, go to FS.2

Nice shots 👍

• Like 1

* FS2004 Supersky * ( Atmo Ambient Environment addon) creator.
* XP11 atmoXphere * (
Atmo Ambient Environment addon ) creator.
XP12.0.8 * with ACT (A
mbient Corrector Tweek ).

[Pc intel i3-4160 3.6ghz, 8gb ram, GeForce RTX-3060 12gb, Win10 Home 64bit]

Fantastic review and personal story,Thanks Ryan.

• Like 2

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

a really interesting narrative Ryan ! Many thanks for all these details and return to experience ... and of course for the splendid pictures ... Going to look for this new Carenado's Piper for sure  🙂