Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

TWITCH MSFS Development Livestream

35 minutes ago, Rimshot said:

So how about getting air pressure in millibar where needed? Or will they stick to the solely use of inches mercury indefinitely? How come MSFS has this so wrong when every other (past) sim got it right? SU12 and counting and no mention of this immersion breaking nonsense.

Can this not be done by devs, by altering values in the animation using a conversion table?

I would've thought this was straight forward in MSFS.  And I'm surprised it wasn't in the day 1 release, 2 years ago.  

I've done it in several add ons.  Or is this closed off to devs?  (Shame if it is.)

Edited by GoranM

Atr is nice and I might buy it. But having Hans demonstrate sub pages of sub pages for a span that felt like 30min was the wrong place. I literally fell asleep 

• Upvote 1

Lukas Dalton

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1772471519

Here's a link directly to the archived MSFS Development Livestream from today (March 22).

The original link -- at the top of this thread -- now just goes to the official MS Twitch homepage.

• Like 5

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

Just had a chance to pick up on some of the WU13 stuff, and two standout things: 1) Antarctica! Although it's not great, they now have terrain there and next year they'll get some higher resolution stuff* 2) Very detailed new orthos for Hawaii that just came out.

* He said he only found out about availability of this new stuff when looking into companies that could provide aerials for this part of the world where planes rarely fly. Gives me some confidence that he's quite serious about scouring the planet for anybody who can give him better quality orthos.

Edited by scotchegg

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

9 hours ago, lwt1971 said:

Jorg: we read the forums all the time, and a whole team is there to surface Qs/issues to dev team

Except for the VR sections, they're clearly ignoring those.

Edited by MarcG
  • Like 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Thanks, David, for the link, looks like another winner.

Truly outstanding what Asobo and Microsoft are doing. Hope the momentum carries into 2024.

We've never had a flight simulator that is as good as MSFS 2020 is.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, pmb said:

Given that the WU is made with ORBX and ORBX had a very nice PNG scenery for Prepar3d, we could have hopes. Not sure, if those who once made PNG are still with ORBX those days, though.

Kind regards, Michael 

They said it was being made by Orbx ? I hope they do a better job than NZ that I find cartoonish (oversaturated colors for instance) from where I have l have flown so far.

Tapini and Kokoda fields were in the old P3D packages but not much else. And I don't see the US Samoas that was an excellent Orbx addon. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

9 hours ago, Paul K said:

Oceania has my vote! Along with Australia and SE Asia, it's very much my simming region of the world.

Default Oceania in MSFS misses one thing : decent atolls, coral reefs and lagoons and a little love here and there like the US Samoas (the naked cliff in Ofu island is awful !) 😃.

I looked into the announcement and am a bit puzzled. It sounds like a hodgepodge, from Borobudur to Hawaii ! I love flying in Indonesia which would deserve a WU of its own in my opinion but this is not Oceania. Why PNG that I love flying too which is well represented in the default sim already and enhanced by dozens of excellent freeware ?

The choices of airports is  bizarre. Like in the Solomons which is not so good in default ; I welcome the quaint AGGN but why not have added two or three iconic fields of the "slot", Honiara or Munda ?  

Good to see some interest for the region but more focus would have been welcome.

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

9 hours ago, Rimshot said:

So how about getting air pressure in millibar where needed? Or will they stick to the solely use of inches mercury indefinitely? How come MSFS has this so wrong when every other (past) sim got it right? SU12 and counting and no mention of this immersion breaking nonsense.

Have you tried General Options > Misc > Units of measurement. You can get millibars there.. 

• Like 1

Dominique

13 hours ago, micstatic said:

I’m a little disappointed no Honolulu given this announcement 

There's some hope that, when updating Hawaii, they might fix a big problem with the underlying Bing images that have a bad transition from photorealistic to synthetic that passes exactly in the middle of PHNL airport, and since the SDK doesn't allow to completely replace a Bing image, but only create a secondary layer ( things from the primary image will still affect a custom scenery ), this forced us to pause PHNL development, to wait if the problem would ever be fixed.

So there's hope we might resume working on it, because it was looking great, and we know it's a highly requested airport.

Edited by virtuali
  • Like 9

9 hours ago, GoranM said:

Can this not be done by devs, by altering values in the animation using a conversion table?

I would've thought this was straight forward in MSFS.  And I'm surprised it wasn't in the day 1 release, 2 years ago.  

I've done it in several add ons.  Or is this closed off to devs?  (Shame if it is.)

I haven't got a clue, but I'm surprised as you are this is not a standard feature of MSFS...

39 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

Have you tried General Options > Misc > Units of measurement. You can get millibars there.. 

I'm aware of that setting, but even when set to metric or hybrid ATIS/ATC still give QNH in inches mercury, no matter where you are in the world.

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

4 hours ago, virtuali said:

There's some hope that, when updating Hawaii, they might fix a big problem with the underlying Bing images that have a bad transition from photorealistic to synthetic that passes exactly in the middle of PHNL airport,

I could have sworn that was fixed with the last USA update.

6 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

Thanks, David, for the link, looks like another winner.

Truly outstanding what Asobo and Microsoft are doing. Hope the momentum carries into 2024.

We've never had a flight simulator that is as good as MSFS 2020 is.

This really is a landmark project. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

15 hours ago, scotchegg said:

* He said he only found out about availability of this new stuff when looking into companies that could provide aerials for this part of the world where planes rarely fly. Gives me some confidence that he's quite serious about scouring the planet for anybody who can give him better quality orthos.

Yes I agree.. sounds like he's already found data for some other parts of the world yet to be enhanced by WUs given that both Brazil (world update) and South Korea (city/airports update) are marked as "planned" in the dev snapshot wishlist. Hopefully he can procure some for Africa and South Asia too.

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

9 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

Truly outstanding what Asobo and Microsoft are doing.

I agree. They can also be so frigging frustrating at times, but the positive 100% outshines the negative. I have to say I really appreciated the CTD telemetry data. They should make this a common occurrence on these Q&A sessions. 

Edited by Drumcode
  • Like 1

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |