Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

MS Server Problems and VPNs: IMPORTANT

Deleted

Edited by altenae

MSI Tomahawk Z790, I7-13700K, DDR5 6000mhz, MSI 4090, 3x SSD 980 PRO, Corsair 360 Liguid CPU cooler, Corsair H1200V2 power.

With so many users worldwide, the problems can be different. Maybe there are some ISPs limiting connections to specific services (by the way an ISP doesn't limit specific 'programs' - cause they can't see what program is running on your device - but they can limit specific internet services, protocols, ports or servers).

I think first of all, there is in fact a problem with Microsofts CD network. But that doesn't exclude the possibility, that certain people also have proplems with their ISP.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

FlyByWire Simulations

19 hours ago, bluescast said:

Good info. Comcast has been a joke for years. Switched to Fiber in 2007. 

I hate to say this but I'm retiring soon and want to move from the DC metro area but I'm so used to great internet speeds from Verizon that I'm not sure what area can accommodate my reliance on fiber gigabit speeds.

Sad was looking at an 8 acre horse ranch in Buckeye, Wv.  Wonder if Mesa, AZ has quality internet. 

Glad you solved your issues. 

I work in internet.

Buckeye WV is probably a no, you'd be lucky to find cable and it would likely only be if they had strung cable out there in the 1980s/90s to provide cable TV.

Mesa is fine but it's all Cox territory, the telco there (CenturyLink) is only useful if they're wired into the building with fiber. Just like Verizon in the Northeast - if you have fiber, great, otherwise you're going to the cable company. Cox is a little more expensive (generally) than Comcast for the same product, but it's mostly all HFC, so you usually get a little more consistency with their coax.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2023 at 8:24 AM, GSalden said:

Fingers crossed, but I haven’t had any server issues for 2 weeks now. No VPN and living in the Netherlands….

ziggo?

Rig Specs; CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3d, GPU AMD Liquid Red Devil 7900XTX 24GB,  Memory 32GB 2x8 3000 CL30, WD-SN850 Black 500 GB, WD-SN850 Black  2TB, Asus MoBo X670E D Hero, Be Quit Straight power 1200 Watt platinum. 18 Noctua fans , Aquacomputer Octo tempsensores, yes I am a PC freak.

watercooled 2 x360 rads noctua's push pull EKWB blocks for GPU and CPU 

Screen LG 34GN850-B  with freesync premium     

22 minutes ago, pilotter said:

ziggo?

Yes…

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

On 4/15/2023 at 7:39 PM, regis9 said:

Lorby SI has a neat tool that gives info real-time on MSFS download rates.  Might be helpful in looking at this.  

Mine seems to max out around 300 mbps.  This is below the alleged top speed of my interest connection but I’m not sure if MSFS needs more than that.

https://www.lorby-si.com

Your internet connection is a shared medium though.  I get 1 gig but I have 78 connected devices in my home, each using some of that available bandwidth so the only time I would ever expect MSFS to match your ISP's maximum throughput is if it were on a dedicated link with no competing traffic.  

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Posted (edited)

99% of the time, I'm not using a VPN to increase (or make-it-work) download speed from MSFS architecture. But it solved me an issue when I was in an hotel with highspeed Internet (valid) but with awful speed access to MSFS servers. I just add to start a VPN to make it work.

Another example during the Dune DLC launch with and without VPN :

Edited by vbazillio
  • Like 1

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio

Posted (edited)

Using the Lorby MSFS Newtork Monitor, I found MSFS was doing in average just 11 Mbps (out of a 300 Mbps connection). That was during a short hop EIDW-EGLL, both default (EGLL Premium Deluxe). Speed tests and other downloads report closer to the 300 Mbps I pay. My TV and tablets were off, and I wasn't downloading anything to my phone during the flight.

Haven't tried yet with the Map Enhancement Tool, wil do tonight. But I can consider my MSFS connection as throttled, right?

Edited by Luis Hernandez

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Posted (edited)

Deleted

Can people stop bumping old posts for no reason? 

Edited by kerosene31
  • Like 1

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

On 3/13/2024 at 8:15 PM, pilotter said:
On 4/16/2023 at 8:24 AM, GSalden said:

Fingers crossed, but I haven’t had any server issues for 2 weeks now. No VPN and living in the Netherlands….

ziggo?

You are aware that it is 55 weeks by now?

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

Not only is there an issue of ISPs throttling speeds to MSFS but I believe also an issue with MSFS servers getting overloaded at peak tines.

As I understand it, MSFS will connect to the closest server to where you live, therefore if I, in the UK use a VPN connected to South Korea, I understand that I will likely be connected to an MS server in that region which is not busy because everyone there is asleep during our peak periods.

I would avoid connecting via Australia though as their speeds are generally very low.

My son and I share a subscription to NordVPN which has been very reliable with decent enough speeds for MSFS and only costs a couple of pounds a month (they always have special offers on).  So definitely try a good VPN if you haven't already.  You have nothing ro lose and you can also use it to do things you probably shouldn't be doing too 😀

p.s. I think Nord may have a free 4 month trial available at the moment.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kerosene31 said:

Can people stop bumping old posts for no reason? 

Ehhh, do you consider a post from March 13th, 2024, as old? 🤔

Edited by Luis Hernandez

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Luis Hernandez said:

I think @kerosene31 considers a response to something that was said 11 months ago to be bumping old threads...

On 3/13/2024 at 7:15 PM, pilotter said:

On 4/16/2023 at 7:24 AM, GSalden said:

ziggo?

Edited by F737MAX
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Luis Hernandez said:

This thread started a year ago.  This one isn't as bad, but there's ones from 2021 regularly popping up for seemingly no good reason.

Information may be dated, and confusing. 

Edited by kerosene31

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

2 hours ago, orchestra_nl said:

You are aware that it is 55 weeks by now?

yes well aware, this was hinted in an other thread and GSalden is active member , I think it's ok?

Rig Specs; CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3d, GPU AMD Liquid Red Devil 7900XTX 24GB,  Memory 32GB 2x8 3000 CL30, WD-SN850 Black 500 GB, WD-SN850 Black  2TB, Asus MoBo X670E D Hero, Be Quit Straight power 1200 Watt platinum. 18 Noctua fans , Aquacomputer Octo tempsensores, yes I am a PC freak.

watercooled 2 x360 rads noctua's push pull EKWB blocks for GPU and CPU 

Screen LG 34GN850-B  with freesync premium