Sign in to follow this  
Sky_Pilot071

What Does MSFS Do Best?

3 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

7950X3D upgrade

not the best choice for MSFS, for MSFS exclusive use ( as in my case) 7800x3D is preferable.

I admit my fps are less than 100 with everything max @ 4K: only 70 fps in 2D, only 65 fps @ 8K in VR HP G2, low density airport, no traffic tools, without FrameGeneration:

70fpsin4kcpdnd.jpg

65fpsinvrvjios.jpg

Edited by turbomax
  • Upvote 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

5 minutes ago, Lucky38i said:

You’re going to get regressive results on a 7950X3D compared to a 7800X3D because of the split CCD. Not sure why people buy components just because it’s the most expensive as opposed to their needs. 

also why is this topic still open? It’s been on a tangent for several pages now, I’m sure OP’s answer has been answered ages ago. It’s just constants spats at this point

Last I checked, it wasn’t clear if that was true, even though some people were claiming it - the data I’ve seen was unconvincing. They’re both great chips and the price difference is not much in the scheme of the total build. 

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

12 minutes ago, turbomax said:

not the best choice for MSFS, for MSFS exclusive ( as in my case) 7800x3D is preferable.

I admit my fps are less than 100 with everything max @ 4K: only 70 fps in 2D, only 65 fps @ 8K in VR HP G2, low density airport, no traffic tools:

70fpsin4kcpdnd.jpg

65fpsinvrvjios.jpg

Nice, 65 FPS with the G2 is decent though as I said before good luck getting that in the Fenix at iniBuilds EGLL! 

That’s what I mean by not quite there yet, even with state of the art gear you need to fly a simple plane or accept that you’re not going hit the native refresh rate. Maybe with the next sim, or maybe the 5090 will finally do the trick.

Edited by OzWhitey

Oz

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

EGLL @ 4K in 2D. Nvidia FrameGeneration ON, default B787 with AAU2 beta, no traffic tools, mostly MAX settings:

72 fps, "not quite there yet" 😄

have to learn to live with that for the next 2 years.

spacer.png

Edited by turbomax
  • Like 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

very nice.

3 minutes ago, turbomax said:

EGLL @ 4K in 2D. Nvidia FrameGeneration ON, default B787 with AAU2 beta, no traffic tools, mostly MAX settings:

65 fps,

have to learn to live with that for the next 2 years.

I'll have to test with that on my new 7800X3D rig, but I can tell you, unless I was dreaming, I was getting 130-140 fps smooth at 4K Ultra the other night with the Flysimware C414 with LatinVFR SCEL and FSLTL AI.

Granted that's not the 787 or Fenix and it's not New York or London, but I'm very impressed in the limited amount of testing i've done so far.

And this is without any PBO or EXPO profiles.   (!) 

• Like 2

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

48 minutes ago, Mace said:

I was getting 130-140 fps smooth at 4K Ultra

that's exactly what I am getting with FrameGeneration ON mostly in GA aircraft, but he insisted on Fenix at EGLL. that's why I chose the 787 with AAU2 beta. my TV monitor does "only" 60 Hz, my HP G2 in VR does 90 Hz.😄

most of my time I spend in the main menu anyway, that's where I am getting acceptable fps, stutter free @ 410 fps.

spacer.png

Edited by turbomax
  • Like 1

very nice.

9 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

I think I was hoping that the "mean girls" MSFS clique might actually look at the data and reflect on it rather than resorting to child ad hominem attacks and repetitive straw man fallacies. 

Meh, it's Avsim, I guess I should expect this low standard of debate by now

And do you think calling people mean girls and insisting Jan 2023 - Apr 2023 average Steam users is proof of mediocre performance significantly adds to the quality of the debate?

Edited by scotchegg
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

So, how is everybody doing?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

5 hours ago, Rimshot said:

So, how is everybody doing?

Pretty good, Bert. Though I think things got a little out of hand in this thread. 🙂

If #OccupyRedmond3 goes ahead, I’ll give you a call, cos we’ll need some hot cocoa. 

• Like 1

Oz

On 5/18/2023 at 3:09 PM, Noel said:

Uh, no we're making a rhetorical comment about how virtually no one cares about "FAA Certification" for MSFS.

Of course not, its a game

...let me put some meat on that.:

The majority of users here who profess the need for high fidelity this and that are Tubeliner types or into complex private aircraft and there are lots and lots of that type of user...so how many of you are using MSFS as part of your ATPL Training or even an IFR rating on your PPL?.

I'll bet I get a number for the former that's not much above zero, the latter?, go on surprise me.

Edited by Pathfinder633

4 hours ago, Pathfinder633 said:

Of course not, its a game

...let me put some meat on that.:

The majority of users here who profess the need for high fidelity this and that are Tubeliner types or into complex private aircraft and there are lots and lots of that type of user...so how many of you are using MSFS as part of your ATPL Training or even an IFR rating on your PPL?.

I'll bet I get a number for the former that's not much above zero, the latter?, go on surprise me.

I wonder why any discussion of how good MSFS is, seems to instantly attract XP Trolls?

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

4 hours ago, Pathfinder633 said:

user...so how many of you are using MSFS as part of your ATPL Training or even an IFR rating on your PPL?.

I'm about to upgrade PPL to IR rating next spring. I use the WT G1000NXI all the time in the sim. Last week for instance I practiced en route holdings via OBS inbound/HDG select outbound in MSFS, and did the same practice the day after in a real plane with G1000. (In VMC, uncontrolled airspace)

No difference whatsoever. Building avionics proficiency is very easy when you have the WT G1000 at your disposal and are aware of the shortcomings & simulator quirks.

Edited by SAS443
  • Like 3

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

26 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I wonder why any discussion of how good MSFS is, seems to instantly attract XP Trolls?

A weird insecurity I guess... especially when it comes to flight dynamics/realism where a certain few are under the delusion that only their "precious" does it well, and that MSFS is only for visuals 🙂 (repeating that talking point to others and to themselves is comforting to them seems like 🤷‍♂️). I find it more amusing than anything else these days, especially given where and what MSFS is at present.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 3

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

27 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

A weird insecurity I guess... especially when it comes to flight dynamics/realism where a certain few are under the delusion that only their "precious" does it well, and that MSFS is only for visuals 🙂 (repeating that talking point to others and to themselves is comforting to them seems like 🤷‍♂️). I find it more amusing than anything else these days, especially given where and what MSFS is at present.

Not to mention all the professional pilots that now use MSFS. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

50 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Because they understand all they can hang their caps on is FAA certification esoterica and it's really really important to maintain that elite clique they live for?

• Like 2

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X