Sign in to follow this  
Sky_Pilot071

What Does MSFS Do Best?

8 minutes ago, Noel said:

Because they understand all they can hang their caps on is FAA certification esoterica and it's really really important to maintain that elite clique they live for?

But as I stated on another thread, the version that almost all XP users buy, is not the version that has FAA certification. https://www.x-plane.com/pro/certified/

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, SAS443 said:

No difference whatsoever. Building avionics proficiency is very easy when you have the WT G1000 at your disposal and are aware of the shortcomings & simulator quirks.

Nice! And beyond avionics training/proficiency, as an example, the sim contributes to your aptitude of accurate pattern/circuit approaches in relation to height and geographical landmarks. The whole MSFS package just strengthens the subtle aspects of flying that makes you a better pilot (simulated and real). The old saying … a pilots licence is a ticket to continue to learn how to fly. You are given the basics and from there you build your flying skills. What does MSFS do best - integrates with the concept of making you a better pilot.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Ten Minutes of the F-14 Tomcat and Supercarrier - Launch - Mission - Recovery | DCS World | 4K

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I wonder why any discussion of how good MSFS is, seems to instantly attract XP Trolls?

Clearly, they find trollling more enjoyable than flying on their preferred sim. The explanation for this, I leave to the psychologists. Incidentally, it is notable that as far as I know, no MSFS users troll in other forums (I've looked). I would be surprised to find any -- we are having too much fun flying!

Edited by cobalt
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I wonder why any discussion of how good MSFS is, seems to instantly attract XP Trolls?

3 hours ago, lwt1971 said:

A weird insecurity I guess... especially when it comes to flight dynamics/realism where a certain few are under the delusion that only their "precious" does it well, and that MSFS is only for visuals 🙂 (repeating that talking point to others and to themselves is comforting to them seems like 🤷‍♂️). I find it more amusing than anything else these days, especially given where and what MSFS is at present.

1 hour ago, cobalt said:

Clearly, they find trollling more enjoyable than flying on their preferred sim. The explanation for this, I leave to the psychologists. Incidentally, it is notable that as far as I know, no MSFS users troll in other forums (I've looked). I would be surprised to find any -- we are having too much fun flying!

🤣

Sorry to say, but: is this a kind of paranoia? XP trolls? Where? You may need to readjust your troll radar. If you watch Pathfinder633's profile - he joined avsim on August 18th, 2020. I'm not sure 😅, but if I'm not mistaken, MSFS debuted around this date. And if you watch Pathfinder633's posting history ... I leave the conclusion to you.

Watch my YT-channel: https://www.youtube.com/@flyingcarpet1340/

Customer of X-Plane, Aerofly, Flightgear, MSFS.

4 hours ago, Noel said:

Because they understand all they can hang their caps on is FAA certification esoterica and it's really really important to maintain that elite clique they live for?

Slightly odd if so, Sorry iff totally missing the point but sounds like a somewhat blurry mismatch between virtual reality and actual reality, lol..

MSFS does best for me a re-vitalising of a game.simulator that has definately gone more mainstream. I agree with the point that total units sold would be nice to know, but as already mentioned these data are not always easily available for whatever reason. There was obviously an initial wave of units sold at release and my total guess is a second wave at some point. Just my 2 cents.

3 hours ago, cobalt said:

no MSFS users troll in other forums (I've looked). I would be surprised to find any

with one exception: I have been convicted to be trolling the x-plane forum when I complained about strange pitch black clouds, or strange antialiasing artefacts etc. I won't do that again, I just avoid to visit "other" forums. 🤣

the standard phrase is: "nothing wrong with criticism ...." but as soon as you do criticise something their x-periment world collapses.

Edited by turbomax
  • Like 2

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

48 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

I've never in my life been in the x-plane forum. 

dangerous place. brace for impact.

• Like 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

15 minutes ago, Pathfinder633 said:

Its exactly the same as this place

NO!! Not at all! If you criticise MSFS in this forum, it's the opposite. You are very welcomed, and they invite you to drink a beer with them - as we have learned (not only) in this thread. BTW: it isn't "the X-Planer's" - they aren't a homogenous mass. Same for the "MSFS'ers".

So ... what did we learn from this thread?

Watch my YT-channel: https://www.youtube.com/@flyingcarpet1340/

Customer of X-Plane, Aerofly, Flightgear, MSFS.

45 minutes ago, flying_carpet said:

NO!! Not at all! If you criticise MSFS in this forum, it's the opposite. You are very welcomed, and they invite you to drink a beer with them - as we have learned (not only) in this thread. BTW: it isn't "the X-Planer's" - they aren't a homogenous mass. Same for the "MSFS'ers".

So ... what did we learn from this thread?

As the OP I like to create positive MSFS threads because I feel it deserves the positive vibes.

One thing I can add is that MSFS has energized the hobby so much that I feel flight simming has a great long lasting future that we all can all be proud of.

sp

Edited by Sky_Pilot071
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

One thing I can add is that MSFS has energized the hobby so much that I feel flight simming has a great long lasting future that we all can all be proud of.

Ohhhhh yeah. I think it’s safe to say no other sim has had more of an impact on the hobby in its history. And from a newbie developer as well. Quite astonishing (despite its faults).

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

15 hours ago, SAS443 said:

I'm about to upgrade PPL to IR rating next spring. I use the WT G1000NXI all the time in the sim. Last week for instance I practiced en route holdings via OBS inbound/HDG select outbound in MSFS, and did the same practice the day after in a real plane with G1000. (In VMC, uncontrolled airspace)

No difference whatsoever. Building avionics proficiency is very easy when you have the WT G1000 at your disposal and are aware of the shortcomings & simulator quirks.

Nice! MSFS has the best default G1000, G3000, G5000, GNS 430, and GNS 530 now!  And for the GNS 430/530, I think you need to buy payware to get something better than what Working Title has done.

I think MSFS is gradually taking a lead in IFR flight capabilities for GA for home use flight simulators. What a job Working Title has done over the last few years!

• Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

9 hours ago, Pathfinder633 said:

Its exactly the same as this place

I have form! 😀 And, yes, it is. The worst thing, in either forum, is those that cry TROLL at any post that appears to criticise their sim and hurts their delicate feelings. Man up people and argue your case instead! Sticks and stones.....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

MSFS has the best default G1000, G3000, G5000, GNS 430, and GNS 530 now! 

My question would be not only about default avionics but also which payware addon in any other sim has better Garmin systems than MSFS default?

• Like 1