Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Paid version of Google Map Mod.

5 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Unless you manage to leave those two entries in the file and try to start MSFS in default mode.. 😉

"Stuck on the Updates screen"..  sound familiar?

Cant happen any longer, as said above.  The app now clears them when it shuts down whether you click stop or not.

I thought perhaps in that other thread he possibly hadn't played the sim for a while. The change to the maps mod removing the entries automatically  happened a couple of weeks ago.  

Edited by The Moose
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Unless you manage to leave those two entries in the file and try to start MSFS in default mode.. 😉

"Stuck on the Updates screen"..  sound familiar?

When you land and press the stop button on the app , or whatever it is called, it automatically removes the two lines in the host file. It's pretty fool proof. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

32 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

When you land and press the stop button on the app , or whatever it is called, it automatically removes the two lines in the host file. It's pretty fool proof. 

As I've mentioned twice now, It's so foolproof you don't even have to hit the STOP button.  Since version 7.1.6  It'll delete the host file entries when the app closes whether you you remembered to click stop or not.

The day that this uses the Google photogrammetry I´ll give it a second try.

24 minutes ago, peloto said:

The day that this uses the Google photogrammetry I´ll give it a second try.

That sounds like you gave it a first try.  What were the downsides such that you're not still using it?  Does it eliminate default photogrammetry?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

4 minutes ago, Noel said:

That sounds like you gave it a first try.  What were the downsides such that you're not still using it?  Does it eliminate default photogrammetry?

Nope, default photogrammetry is still on top and works fine, just doesn't blend in the same way obviously.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

20 minutes ago, Sethos said:

Nope, default photogrammetry is still on top and works fine, just doesn't blend in the same way obviously.

Keep in mind, you can switch maps anytime, so you can go from default Bing, to New Bing ( which is much better), to Google, which is better yet,. just by a mouse click which changes servers. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Sorry for (possibly) stupid question, but what is "New Bing" ? 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

16 minutes ago, anden145 said:

Sorry for (possibly) stupid question, but what is "New Bing" ? 

That's just the Bing data directly off the Bing servers, i.e the same you'd see on Bing Maps. The stuff we have in the sim is something that is hosted on a separate server and is modified for consistency, colour corrected, clouds removed, blended etc. but then it's also 'stuck in time' from when they pulled it in to modify it and isn't updated at the same time as the live Bing data. Some of it might be years old in comparison.

Edited by Sethos
  • Like 2

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

2 hours ago, Noel said:

There is more than a year or almost two, and I compared some lost zones in the world between Google and Bing, and even I thought I was preferring the Bing appearance, and not having other app running in the PC. With photogrammetry I didn´t compared nothing, though reading their FAQ regarding photogrammetry it says:

https://github.com/derekhe/msfs2020-map-enhancement/wiki/FAQ

• Autogenerated buildings, trees, and roads stay the same as before
  • Photogrammetry from google not included, will keep using Bing's

This is because google has photogrammetry (3d building) in these areas. I can't fix this. https://www.google.com/maps/@51.146285,6.363364,322a,35y,360h,70.19t/data=!3m1!1e3

Google photogrammetry I think is really more better than Bing, and I could consider it, if the Map App works well, smoothness etc..

Edited by peloto

13 hours ago, anden145 said:

How does it handle photogrammatry and 3D cities etc? Is that different from Bing? Better or worse? Is there more of it or?

Another thing about the HOST file? Does it edit the HOST file or replace it (remove any existing entries in it) ? 

They can't replace the default bing photogrammetry.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 1

It's obviously illegal, but each to their own.

I saw a comparison and in some parts Google is better, in others Bing. Given the legal issues and that you also lose the touches they add by hand in "native" MSFS and third-party airports adapting to native, I stick to the stock choice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maelmoor said:

It's obviously illegal, but each to their own.

I saw a comparison and in some parts Google is better, in others Bing. Given the legal issues and that you also lose the touches they add by hand in "native" MSFS and third-party airports adapting to native, I stick to the stock choice.

Yes, according to the EULAs of both google and MSFS, but if you look at it as a mod, and it's not hurting anyone directly, then it's "ok" in the mind's of people who are using it. Sort of like driving 70mph in a 65mph zone or using the bathroom at work and hanging out in there for a few minutes longer than you need while watching youtube videos on your phone instead of hustling back to work. So it's not like you will be breaking a law with jail as a consequence. 

But seriously, i am wondering, i have read somewhere that Aboso and MS say they have to "fix" (or "colorize" - i don't know the exact term) the photogrammetry and 3D cities, and this is why it takes time to roll out new, better tiles even if are available in Bing, but if people can just "drop" google maps into MSFS, and they like it a lot, then why can't MSFS do the same with Bing? 

And not to be "that guy" but microsoft is a huge corporation, they have the money, why would they not do all they can to update photogrammetry and 3D cities now, and make photogrammetry and 3D cities even better? Just asking...thus, people would not be looking for alternatives.

10850K, MSI Unify Z490, 32gb G.Skill Ripjaw 3600 CL16, MSI 5700 XT 8gb, Nochua NH-U12a, WD 500gb Black SSD (OS- Windows 10 Pro), Samsung 2tb Evo plus SSD (games), Superflower 850 watts power supply

12 minutes ago, SlowFlyer said:

but if people can just "drop" google maps into MSFS, and they like it a lot, then why can't MSFS do the same with Bing? 

No they don't. Some people like it, but most don't. I prefer they do it how they are doing it, so we have no clouds over terrain, we have good water masking, no squares with different colors and all the other problems,

Edited by Alvega
  • Like 1

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

4 minutes ago, Alvega said:

No they don't. Some people like it, but most don't. I prefer they do it how they are doing it, so we have no clouds over terrain, we have good water masking, no squares with different colors and all the other problems,

You are either using a different Google maps Mod  than I am, or you are just making up negative stuff for some reason.... Hey if you don't like it, don't use it, but why try to rain on everyone elses parade? Almost a half million people have down loaded this Mod, so I would say it is pretty popular among users. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Upvote 2