Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Going to put V6 in a holding tank

I downloaded P3d V6 yesterday and played with it for hours.  At this time, I'm going to delete it from my hard drive and put the installation folders into a "holding tank" so to speak.  P3d V5 has been with us for a few YEARS now, and in that time, I've really "fed" that version.  My V5 is 285 GB, with 304 GB of planes and helicopters, and a myriad of SCENERY enhancements that are absolutely beautiful and fun to fly to and from.

I really cannot develop V6 to acceptability until Active Sky, ORBX, and UPDATES to my favorite addons are available.  I love EA in V5, and the clouds I'm presently getting with Cloud Art piggy-backed onto Active Sky are very realistic.  Additionally, I am strong user and advocate of Force Feedback, so I have invested in and use Microsoft FF2 joysticks (I have 5 of them...because they are not produced anymore).  I don't fly without force feedback.  I even have it in MSFS!  Force Feedback cannot be activated in this version with the software (Russell Dirk's software) that I use. 

Since this version is only $60, as opposed to the $200 of years past, I feel that it was a good investment...FOR THE FUTURE!  When all of the above is available for this version, I will "awaken" V6 from its suspended state, and re-install it on my hard drive.  I will continue to investigate its development every day on this forum and elsewhere, but for now, I need to enjoy my day with flying an enjoyable sim that has taken years to get it to this level of satisfaction.  In my opinion, V6 isn't ready for prime time just yet.

Stan

Edited by spilok
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 2

One of the possible features that could tempt me to invest in P3D v6 would be a better weather model, and the use of Active Sky to get the most advanced features into play.

Both MFS and XP12 now have modelled the Troposphere with non-ISA lapse rates for pressure, and that is interesting to train cold or hot weather scenarios. Since P3D is aimed at professional solutions I would expect it to to provide developers with the necessary SDK / tools for manipulation of the weather engine so that features like that of non-ISA geopotential height can be present.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

7 hours ago, spilok said:

I downloaded P3d V6 yesterday and played with it for hours.  At this time, I'm going to delete it from my hard drive and put the installation folders into a "holding tank" so to speak.  P3d V5 has been with us for a few YEARS now, and in that time, I've really "fed" that version.  My V5 is 285 GB, with 304 GB of planes and helicopters, and a myriad of SCENERY enhancements that are absolutely beautiful and fun to fly to and from.

I really cannot develop V6 to acceptability until Active Sky, ORBX, and UPDATES to my favorite addons are available.  I love EA in V5, and the clouds I'm presently getting with Cloud Art piggy-backed onto Active Sky are very realistic.  Additionally, I am strong user and advocate of Force Feedback, so I have invested in and use Microsoft FF2 joysticks (I have 5 of them...because they are not produced anymore).  I don't fly without force feedback.  I even have it in MSFS!  Force Feedback cannot be activated in this version with the software (Russell Dirk's software) that I use. 

Since this version is only $60, as opposed to the $200 of years past, I feel that it was a good investment...FOR THE FUTURE!  When all of the above is available for this version, I will "awaken" V6 from its suspended state, and re-install it on my hard drive.  I will continue to investigate its development every day on this forum and elsewhere, but for now, I need to enjoy my day with flying an enjoyable sim that has taken years to get it to this level of satisfaction.  In my opinion, V6 isn't ready for prime time just yet.

Stan

I feel this way also. I WANT to buy v6 but I'm not ready to dump v5.4 now. Heck, I bought some Orbx airports in early June and I haven't even installed all of them yet.

7 hours ago, jcomm said:

Both MFS and XP12 now have modelled the Troposphere with non-ISA lapse rates for pressure, and that is interesting to train cold or hot weather scenarios. Since P3D is aimed at professional solutions I would expect it to to provide developers with the necessary SDK / tools for manipulation of the weather engine so that features like that of non-ISA geopotential height can be present.

Actually this is the only complain I have in P3Dv5 (from v4 actually)......

11 hours ago, spilok said:

Stan

Wouldn't be wiser not to buy something only to put that into a hold, and just wait until dust will settle, things will get necessary updates and then spend ur money on mature product ?

• Upvote 2

Artur 

9 hours ago, Beardyman said:

Wouldn't be wiser not to buy something only to put that into a hold, and just wait until dust will settle, things will get necessary updates and then spend ur money on mature product ?

Yes.  Had I known the state of V6, I would have done JUST THAT!  But since I spent the $60, I will be optimistic that some day in the future, it will have been "hotfixed" or revised to the point that the scenery, weather, clouds, and compatibility capabilities are such that we have a significantly improved sim over the current  5.4 version. I am EXTREMELY happy with 5.4 and 6 is nowhere near it.  This is only MY opinion right now.

Stan

LM doers offer a satisfaction guarantee or at least they used too, so I think if in the first 30 days if you are dissatisfied with P3D they will give you your money back and revoke your license key.

44 minutes ago, FBW737 said:

LM doers offer a satisfaction guarantee or at least they used too, so I think if in the first 30 days if you are dissatisfied with P3D they will give you your money back and revoke your license key.

That will be a strong consideration.

13 minutes ago, spilok said:

Yes.  Had I known the state of V6, I would have done JUST THAT!  But since I spent the $60, I will be optimistic that some day in the future, it will have been "hotfixed" or revised to the point that the scenery, weather, clouds, and compatibility capabilities are such that we have a significantly improved sim over the current  5.4 version.

As you were already using P3D, I'm surprised you were not aware that any new release has always involved a small delay while addon software catches up. In fact, with this release there have been plenty of reports of users being able to install various existing softwares without issues, including Orbx. I believe some previous posts offered you advice on this.

I do not have an opinion on V6 myself, as I have not yet installed it, but only because I have a complex home cockpit setup, and changes involve a lot of work, testing and checking functions. I currently use both 4.5 and 5.3 at different times. However I notice that many of the negative comments about V6 in the P3D forum are from people who supposedly switched from P3D to the other sim a couple of years ago, claiming on that forum, that they would never go back to P3D. So their opinions on P3D V6 must be of doubtful value. Unfortunately they are taking up a lot of space on the P3D forum.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

John B

Having just 'rediscovered' v 5.4 I have a hard time justifying V6 given the obvious fact of the rather lacking 3rd party support.

Getting your favourite PMDG / IFfly / FSLABS / ORBX / whatever to load at the tarmac via registry shenanigans or whatnot (and not really knowing if performance under the hood is up to snuff) is not sufficient for me. 

• Like 4

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

My V6 is in holding period for me too.  I am not wasting time with registry hacks and what not (I did that during v3 days).  Only addon which has true v6 support is FSUIPC and FSDreamTeam has v6 installers (but they are not making anymore P3D sceneries).  All my major airliners are for v5.4.  I am fine with it.  I am enjoying the other sim way too much.

Edited by Skywolf
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

I copy folders from v6 to v5.4 like scenery,texture,effects and a few more

and it is a huge difference. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, klimpen said:

I copy folders from v6 to v5.4 like scenery,texture,effects and a few more

and it is a huge difference. 

That's an interesting variation. How does it then compare with V5 scenery with Orbx Base and OpenLC. Also how well do any addon airports fit in that hybrid installation. Any issues with ground levels etc. 

John B

3 hours ago, Biggles2010 said:

As you were already using P3D, I'm surprised you were not aware that any new release has always involved a small delay while addon software catches up. In fact, with this release there have been plenty of reports of users being able to install various existing softwares without issues, including Orbx. I believe some previous posts offered you advice on this.

I do not have an opinion on V6 myself, as I have not yet installed it, but only because I have a complex home cockpit setup, and changes involve a lot of work, testing and checking functions. I currently use both 4.5 and 5.3 at different times. However I notice that many of the negative comments about V6 in the P3D forum are from people who supposedly switched from P3D to the other sim a couple of years ago, claiming on that forum, that they would never go back to P3D. So their opinions on P3D V6 must be of doubtful value. Unfortunately they are taking up a lot of space on the P3D forum.

Don't be surprised.  I've been simming since the beginning...at least 25+ years.  Yes, new releases do have that understood delay time built into them, but usually a new release shows me SOMETHING that demonstrates that it is better than the version that it is replacing.  This one, on the other hand, was so very different in the quality of its imagery, sky, clouds, and this "new lighting" that was replacing EA, that I had serious pause.  I did not perceive a positive difference from version 5 in any way (again, my opinion) unless one was willing to do some significant work with it.  This one was so different for me. I even contacted my force feedback software developer, Russel Dirks, and he emailed me back saying that his software will never work with this version. He is not willing to edit the software to make it work since he is now retired.  Version 5.4 works better for me right now, looks much better, and contains thousands of dollars in addons that I enjoy very much.

I admit this version threw me a curveball, but as I said...given the great price for it, I am willing to keep it and watch it be tested by others.  When I feel the time is right and it's relatively fluid in accepting the many addons that I have previously purchased, I will bring it out from storage.

• Upvote 2

I’m seriously considering availing myself of LMs generous 14 day return policy. What I now have is a full fat V5.4 that meets my every sim want , dozens of aircraft, free and payware and looks great with ORBX or photorealistic scenery and all the utilities I want.

After spending two days with version six I have another default P3D waiting for hours of unnecessary work trying to shoehorn addons already working in P3DV5. Just can’t see much point in that and can better use the storage space.

Curiosity satisfied.

• Like 2

Vic green