Sign in to follow this  
Sethos

TAA Users; give DLAA a try

Thought I'd give people a heads-up about DLAA, if they weren't familiar with it. It has become my go-to AA choice because it's so crisp and works fantastic with further sharpening from ReShade (With MSFS' own sharpening disabled of course)

DLAA uses the same machine learning algorithm as DLSS to improve the image but it does it all at native resolution, meaning no blurring from the upscaling process. So you're left with a crisper image that is an improvement over TAA alone.

However, that also means you don't get the performance benefits from the DLSS upscaling process.

- Make sure you use the correct option. You want the DLAA under the DLSS selections , not the standalone one!

- The ghosting / trailing you see when using TAA is still present

- I can't comment on performance hit, as I don't have any 1:1 data, nor how it stacks up against increasing the internal render.

- Your mileage may vary

Few examples of how it looks in comparison to TAA

Fullscreen Images (cycle between two tabs to see the difference):

TAA Example 1 / DLAA Example 1

TAA EXample 2 / DLAA Example 2

Some zoomed pictures from the first examples above;

You can clearly see how much of the fine detail in the distance is lost and compressed with TAA

1taazoom1gyf9f.jpg

1dlaazoom1j5er2.jpg

Here you can see TAA straight up removes the approach lights because their detail is so fine and the tree turns into an Atari era piece.

1taazoom20sdha.jpg

1dlaazoom2aweom.jpg

So worth a shot if you want to improve image quality a bit 👍

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

DLAA makes the glasscockpit elements look less sharp than TAA, by a considerable margin.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Does DLAA still give you blurry gauges?

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

28 minutes ago, Farlis said:

DLAA makes the glasscockpit elements look less sharp than TAA, by a considerable margin.

Do you have a prominent example of this? I've yet to see any significant degradation, especially not what I'd classify as considerable

Here's my sim, with MSFS' own sharpening disabled and Lumasharpen enabled through ReShade

Fenix TAA vs DLAA

PMDG TAA vs DLAA (Notice the gear lights, they are actually improved by DLAA)

Edited by Sethos

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

The issues with DLAA for me tends to be a bluring of moving/changing values so doesn't show that strongly in static images.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

Using DLSS by itself (Ultra Performance, Performance, Balanced, Quality) will lead to the aforementioned blurry glassy cockpits. On the other hand, using DLSS with DLAA retains similar sharpness to TAA but results in bad ghosting which is virtually non-existent with TAA.

Very unfortunate as I also prefer DLAA.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Farlis said:

25 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Does DLAA still give you blurry gauges?

1 minute ago, Matchstick said:

The issues with DLAA for me tends to be a bluring of moving/changing values so doesn't show that strongly in static images.

There is a newer Nvidia DLSS dll file that significantly reduces the blurry gauges compared to the .dll that MSFS ships with.

If you're confident to do so, make a copy of the original file called nvngx_dlss.dll in your folder where MSFS.exe is located.

Download version 3.1.13 of the .dll file here:

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-dlss-dll/

And place it into your MSFS folder. That's it.

Much improved and you gain the performance benefits of DLSS. YMMV, however, I like what it offers.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

19 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

There is a newer Nvidia DLSS dll file that significantly reduces the blurry gauges compared to the .dll that MSFS ships with.

If you're confident to do so, make a copy of the original file called nvngx_dlss.dll in your folder where MSFS.exe is located.

Much improved and you gain the performance benefits of DLSS. YMMV, however, I like what it offers.

Thanks for posting.

For people using Frame Generation, you need to replace nvngx_dlssg.dll as well.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-dlss-3-frame-generation-dll/

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

I have to say, not sure if this is down to framerate (capped at 80FPS here), hardware (difference in 2000, 3000 and 4000-series GPU and their tensor cores doing the work), people conflating DLSS with DLAA or related to something else but I'm absolutely not seeing the blurring people are talking about, neither during a static scene nor movement. TAA and DLAA are identical on that front.

Here's a recording snapshot, of an 80FPS recording, panning back and forth between the screens. Doing a frame by frame on the video and capturing the same frame, any ghosting / trailing / blurring caused by the movement would show up here;

PMDG TAA / PMDG DLAA

Edited by Sethos

14 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

Thanks for that.  Because I am on an older installation (original), I am facing protection issues with this, and when trying to use ReShade, which I really want to use, but it doesn't find MSFS.

I need to go into the Xbox app apparently and convert MSFS to the newer style installation, which removes a lot of these issues.  I will do it when I get the courage!  :laugh:  

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Thanks for the info, I tried it and it cut my FPS in half as compared to DLSS in balanced mode. Did not appear to be smooth frame output on my machine.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

40 minutes ago, Sethos said:

I have to say, not sure if this is down to framerate (capped at 80FPS here), hardware (difference in 2000, 3000 and 4000-series GPU and their tensor cores doing the work), people conflating DLSS with DLAA or related to something else but I'm absolutely not seeing the blurring people are talking about, neither during a static scene nor movement. TAA and DLAA are identical on that front.

Here's a recording snapshot, of an 80FPS recording, panning back and forth between the screens. Doing a frame by frame on the video and capturing the same frame, any ghosting / trailing / blurring caused by the movement would show up here;

PMDG TAA / PMDG DLAA

Here's what TAA vs DLAA looks like on my end.

LmlCvvs.jpg

maVikOf.jpg

As you can tell, the results aren't pretty.

Screenshots were captured on a system running 7800X3D, RTX 4090 (DX12, Frame Generation) and latest version of nvngx_dlss.dll and nvngx_dlssg.dll (3.1.13). I use a modified version of Final Light (reshade) but it was deactivated during this test run. In any case, it made no difference to the ghosting.

Framerate cap set to 162.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

I too just replaced both DLLs and didn't feel that there was any difference in the ghosting. But thanks for the suggestion!

Edited by mmcmah

In an ideal world MSFS would be able to apply DLAA to everything except the instruments and leave those unaltered but I have no idea if that's even hypothetically possible let alone something Asobo want to take on.

27 minutes ago, AviationEnthusiast said:

Here's what TAA vs DLAA looks like on my end.

As you can tell, the results aren't pretty.

Screenshots were captured on a system running 7800X3D, RTX 4090 (DX12, Frame Generation) and latest version of nvngx_dlss.dll and nvngx_dlssg.dll (3.1.13). I use a modified version of Final Light (reshade) but it was deactivated during this test run. In any case, it made no difference to the ghosting.

Framerate cap set to 162.

Thank you for posting a comparison, that's certainly a more stark contrast between them in comparison to what I'm seeing. We have an identical system, I'm also running DX12 + FG, so it's odd we're seeing such different results.

The only way I can get any kind of real noticeable blurring is by using the 'wrong' DLAA setting, that I've dubbed "DLAA", looks more akin to what you're seeing.

TAA

Nvidia DLAA

"DLAA"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1