Sign in to follow this  
mryan75

Up to 30% increase in FPS: update your dlss.dll file

17 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

I don't understand why some people think it's worth sacrificing image quality for fps by using DLSS instead of TAA, wouldn't lowering the LOD a bit achieve the same performance hit while preserving the image quality? or is there something else that I will win using DLSS that I've missed?

I see an increase in image quality going from TAA to DLSS. Looks better, runs better. 

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

I think I could get used to DLSS in VR for non-screen reliant aircraft, the fuzziness isn't that bad and the performance gain is quite big which is a bonus. For Garmin/Screen aircraft though it's still a blurry mess, seems there's been zero follow up to whether nVida/MS/Asobo have worked on this area as they were going too after they specifically talked about it in a Q&A once, so using TAA is still best for me there.

Pico Neo3 Link VR - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

3 hours ago, styckx said:

There is no, there never will be a genie in a bottle performance fix. This silliness has been going on forever with every game and here we are in 2023 still going strong. The ghost of [BufflerPools] arguments laughs from the grave

Except this has worked for literally hundreds of people who’ve done it. But you do you. 

6 hours ago, mpo910 said:

The file is about DLSS improvement and you got better performance with TAA, you wrote. 

Is that really related to that file? Is this file being used for TAA too?

I saw improved performance with DLSS and TAA as well. Don’t know why, don’t really care. 

1 hour ago, Ixoye said:

I don't understand why some people think it's worth sacrificing image quality for fps by using DLSS instead of TAA, wouldn't lowering the LOD a bit achieve the same performance hit while preserving the image quality? or is there something else that I will win using DLSS that I've missed?

Shimmering is reduced by about 95% on DLSS and head tracking is much smoother TrackIR 5). DLSS-DLAA is what works best for me. The ghosting is most noticeable on the airspeed indicator in the 737, but you’re never going up or down so fast that it’s an issue. 

I've tried the DLSS swapper and without doubt got a huge further update in performance. But the disappointing part is that there's no discernable improvement in the quality of the visuals - in terms of poor resolution, ghosting and blurring of glass cockpits.   Going from 130 FPS to 190 FPS doesn't hold much practical use, compared to seeing an improvement in how DLSS handles these glass panels.

I do take @mryan75's point about TrackIR (which I use exclusively).  It's absolute butter smooth with DLSS.  But then again it was already butter smooth using MSFS's native DLSS, without the need to apply DLSS Swapper.

It's back to TAA for me.  I can't tolerate the poor quality of the WT G1000 or the GTN Xi with DLSS.

Edited by JYW
  • Like 3

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

5 hours ago, St Mawgan said:

I see an increase in image quality going from TAA to DLSS. Looks better, runs better. 

That's not my experience, I get blurry instruments.

• Like 2

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | Seasonic Vertex 1000W I LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

17 hours ago, mpo910 said:

The file is about DLSS improvement and you got better performance with TAA, you wrote. 

Is that really related to that file? Is this file being used for TAA too?

I have no clue how this thing works under the hood. I’ve tried DLSS with all the settings but I cannot stand the blurring of numbers/ghosting effects. 
With TAA I get much better frames on my system, at least 5-10fps with less stuttering. Again I do not know how it works, but it seems to have an effect for me. I guess the effects will vary.

Interestingly with the latest beta (.21), it reverted itself back to what MSFS original was. As soon as I loaded in (SR22/NZQN) knew something was off and I went and checked the version of the file. Changed the file to the 3.5 version and all the stutters went away.

Chen Chen

MSFS: FENIX A320 / PMDG 737 / FBW A32NX / WT 787-10

NZAA 

Anyone hazard a guess why these dlss files are not updated with every nvidia driver release?

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

11 hours ago, JYW said:

It's back to TAA for me.  I can't tolerate the poor quality of the WT G1000 or the GTN Xi with DLSS.

I was the same until I tried DLSS-DLAA. The ghosting is way better and shimmering gone completely. Give it a try. 

1 minute ago, mryan75 said:

I was the same until I tried DLSS-DLAA. The ghosting is way better and shimmering gone completely. Give it a try. 

I have.  It was the first DLSS configuration I tried, after reading your post.  😄

Don't get me wrong, most of the visuals are fantastic.  But the quality of the G1000Nxi and GTN750 was still really poor, compared to TAA.

• Like 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

10 hours ago, gboz said:

Anyone hazard a guess why these dlss files are not updated with every nvidia driver release?

It's up to the game manufacturer to choose which DLSS version to use.  Nvidia wont do it by default in case it causes game compatibility problems. They would get slaughtered!  :laugh: 
Plus they would have to access and drop files in the folder of every game - getting permission from all the game manufacturers would be a lot of work.  And some game folders (like the older MSFS installations) are actually protected.

The drivers are tested fairly extensively by themselves and the game manufacturers (particularly for the current main stream games), but to add all of the different permutations of the DLSS files along side that would be quite exhausting.
The game manufacturers pick a DLSS version at release and tend to stick to it to prevent problems.
At major version changes of the game, or if there was a major benefit from a new DLSS version, the manufacturers would consider changing it, but there really isn't much difference between incremental DLSS versions.

I expect MSFS2024 would probably switch to DLSS 3.xx at release, unless there is an even better v4 by then, but at some stage they have to lock it down for testing and stick to that version. 
It would be part of the alpha / beta process to test with a fairly new version I would expect, as they wouldn't want to launch with old DLSS technology if the newer versions are stable.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 2

Rob (but call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind).

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

On 12/2/2023 at 11:52 AM, St Mawgan said:

Me too, I find DLSS DLAA setting much sharper than TAA and better 'smoothness' as well when panning.

Just the ghosting in glass cockpits is a bummer. Everything's a trade off.....

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

2 minutes ago, Bunchy said:

Me too, I find DLSS DLAA setting much sharper than TAA and better 'smoothness' as well when panning.

Just the ghosting in glass cockpits is a bummer. Everything's a trade off.....

WITH updating the DLSS files? What res do you use?

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

Yes, latest DLL 3.5.1.something.

I use 4K

Stu

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.