Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

Give DX12 another chance after SU14

2 minutes ago, SKEWR said:

I'm OK with trying DX12, but as I fly airliners, are the glass cockpit displays fixed and not blurry?

DX12 doesn't make glass cockpits blurry, DLSS does.

• Like 6

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

That issue or blurry glass cockpits with DX12/DLSS cleared up for me a long time ago. 

• Like 1

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

10 minutes ago, flyhalf said:

That issue or blurry glass cockpits with DX12/DLSS cleared up for me a long time ago. 

I don't notice it now too, at least not as much as before.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

2 hours ago, SKEWR said:

I'm OK with trying DX12, but as I fly airliners, are the glass cockpit displays fixed and not blurry?

Use TAA with DX12. I do. DLSS for night flight is still terrible as night lighting is much dimmer under DLSS and I have the latest DLSS versions installed from that other website and is still bad. Airport taxiway and runway lights at night look much better under TAA. 

Edited by B777ER

Eric 

I'd love to try it but the sim won't start... Stays in loading screens forever

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

23 minutes ago, SKEWR said:

I'd love to try it but the sim won't start... Stays in loading screens forever

Do you have an empty Community folder? If it's not empty, then empty your Community folder (rename the folder if you don't want to delete all the add-ons inside of it) and try again.

Outdated add-ons can cause MSFS to CTD or behave weirdly.

Edited by abrams_tank

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

On 12/5/2023 at 5:01 PM, jwhak said:

Holy word not allowed Batman... Got Bloom on and still no flash so far in TAA. Like my RTX 2070 Super just ate some spinach popeye style. Thankful for this absolutely spectacular.

Happy Landings All

Got too excited my end. With bloom on seeing flash again (crud).

23 minutes ago, jwhak said:

Me too, it never went away.

Alvega

5 hours ago, jwhak said:

5 hours ago, Alvega said:

Me too, it never went away.

Workaround other than shutting bloom off is to turn on the Ultra preset when MSFS first starts up before loading a flight. Load a flight and then start it. Once loaded into the airport, you can go back into options and adjust graphics as you need to include keeping bloom on. Flashing should not appear.

Edited by B777ER
  • Like 1

Eric 

On 12/5/2023 at 6:35 PM, David Mills said:

Everyone please remember that, when you switch DX versions, you must completely shutdown and reboot the entire sim before the DX changes take effect. Simply toggling the DX settings within the sim and then immediately loading a new flight will do nothing. You'll still be with your previous DX version until you reboot. 

David, when I do this -- switch to DX12 and reboot -- I find that it reverts back to DX11. How do I make the switch and save it?

8 minutes ago, cobalt said:

David, when I do this -- switch to DX12 and reboot -- I find that it reverts back to DX11. How do I make the switch and save it?

Are you applying the setting before you restart? If you are and this is happening it makes me wonder what hardware you are using.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

1 hour ago, B777ER said:

Workaround other than shutting bloom off is to turn on the Ultra preset when MSFS first starts up before loading a flight. Load a flight and then start it. Once loaded into the airport, you can go back into options and adjust graphics as you need to include keeping bloom on. Flashing should not appear.

Hmm, I'll have to check this out. Thanks.

Alvega

SU 14 is the first time that DX12 has been usable for me without being a stutter fest.  DLSS still blurs the displays and so I stick with TAA.  Besides DLSS and FG which I can't use with a 30 series card, what are the benefits of using DX12 vs. DX11?  I'm not an expert in these things.

• Like 1

Ryan

11 minutes ago, rjack1282 said:

SU 14 is the first time that DX12 has been usable for me without being a stutter fest.  DLSS still blurs the displays and so I stick with TAA.  Besides DLSS and FG which I can't use with a 30 series card, what are the benefits of using DX12 vs. DX11?  I'm not an expert in these things.

Exactly. What does DX12 bring to the party vis a vis MSFS?

Since SU14 I too can now use DX12 without stutters and without some of the artifacts I was seeing in distant objects.

I updated the nvngx_dlss.dll to the latest version and in the sim set AA to DLSS Super Res with DLAA.

Everything looks sharp as a tack with no display blurring and it runs smooth as silk. 

No change in in FPS which averages ~40.

But, for me, it was exactly that way on DX11.

I've read lots of articles comparing DX11 to DX12.

I know DX12 is supposed to provide more direct control over the GPU, better support for multi-core processing, etc., etc.

But if I left the room and someone switched the sim from one to the other, the only way I would know if the sim was on DX11 or DX12 would to open the settings and check. 

Am I missing something? Maybe if I had a 40 series GPU?

If I did, what improvements would I actually see?

Lloyd Noel (Ontario, Canada)

Intel i9 10900KF@5.2GHz / NZXT Kraken X73 AIO / MSI MPG Z590 Gaming+ / 32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance LPX / Gigabyte RTX4080 Super Gaming OC / Corsair RM1000e 1KW PS / 1TB WD Black M.2 (Win 11 Pro) / 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 .(MSFS2020) / 512GB Sabrent Rocket M.2 (XP12) / 1TB TimeTec SATA (Misc. & FS Support)

1 hour ago, Jazz said:

Are you applying the setting before you restart? If you are and this is happening it makes me wonder what hardware you are using.

Of course. As I said, I changed to DX12 under Graphics Options, clicked on "save", and then restarted MSFS, but it reverted to DX11. Just as an aside, it has not been possible to save custom graphics settings for some time now, and I have a lot of company in this. The only way to do it that know of is via the usercfg.opt file -- but this does not include the DX choice.

Alienware Aurora R11, 32 GB ram, Intel i7-10700F, GeForce RTX 2080 Super, Ultra graphics settings

Edited by cobalt