Sign in to follow this  
Franz007

X-Plane shining in last navigraph-result

27 minutes ago, mjrhealth said:

They are pretty much building a new engine, and are smart enough to know if they fix AA at present it may cause bottom end machines FPS to tank which is a far worse problem.

I've found X-Plane 12 is a resource hog on my setup, I never knew just how bad it was until I tried 2020 with my flight deck. If I'm having issues using the latest and greatest hardware, how are they going to get the lower end machines looking/performing better?

Running XP12 on an AMD7950X3D, Asus 4090TUF, 64gb DDR 5 @ 6000, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB setup and I cannot run ONE monitor without stutters and/or flickers? This is with multiple sliders moved one notch from full right. Keep in mind, I'm not even running a 3D cockpit/flight deck!!

Running 2020 I'm able to run THREE monitors @ 4K with an additional FOUR monitors @ 1366x768 with Ultra settings and still maintain smooth performance.

I can't see where there performance tweaks are going to make that much of a difference. Only way I see this MAYBE getting better is if they find the issues and fix them. Just tweaking I don't think is going to cut it.

Edited by Mike_CFII_MEL
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

1 hour ago, Mike_CFII_MEL said:

how are they going to get the lower end machines looking/performing better?

Running 2020 I'm able to run THREE monitors @ 4K with an additional FOUR monitors @ 1366x768 with Ultra settings and still maintain smooth performance.

I dont know what if any plans they have for low end machines, there is XP11 for them until they upgrade.

1 hour ago, Mike_CFII_MEL said:

I can't see where there performance tweaks are going to make that much of a difference. Only way I see this MAYBE getting better is if they find the issues and fix them. Just tweaking I don't think is going to cut it.

Well, there are lots of factors that affect performance, most 3rd party stuff never cared (I got at least 3 bans from the org over the years arguing with their mods that 25fps isnt enough - before pulling my finger out and doing something about it myself), the last gen XP default scenery that ships for now isnt perf friendly at all.

Sparky744 + ortho + autoatc is pure joy in VR. As are all the VSkyLabs products own.

They covered a fair bit of their plans there in a previous dev q&a going back a few months.

e.g.

not sure if the others are public. transcript of the second one is tho

https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/13JkolLoebjceCGurDspg3ioijLhUuX-V9gKVDvcJGb0/mobilebasic#heading=h.lb4ymtifd380

They've been working closely with several commercial setups on complex visuals, sure bet any issues there are a top priority.

No idea where ms is up to, Ive looked at their dev tools a couple of times and they basically seem completely unusable garbage to me (and not just because its all windows only). Not that it matters now, 2020 dev tools are DOA and 2024 dev tools arent public.

I guess that whole transparent communication thing everyone was raving about being so much better than Laminar stopped working out for them.

Dont need that in my life, my sympathies to anyone stuck in that hell, even if there is a hint of told you so on my part.

I will be quite surprised if msfs 2024 does not hit massive delays tho. especially after aces of thunder on psvr2 starts pawning the flight sim game market

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 1

AutoATC Developer

@Mike_CFII_MEL

If you‘re having so much issues with XP12 (since a few days I see you pointing out at what you dislike about it), it looks like it is obviously not the best sim for you. You also seem to be disappointed that XP don’t have the most users and the most developpers. My question is the following one: why don‘t you simply stick to another sim with less issues on your system and where you will find what you like? Just for me/us to understand.

• Like 1

i912900k, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM

2 hours ago, Mike_CFII_MEL said:

This is with multiple sliders moved one notch from full right. Keep in mind, I'm not even running a 3D cockpit/flight deck!!

Just a first thought about that. Don‘t use 4x MSAA ever or only if you have very good fps. There is a way of tweaking the settings.txt file and set it there, but moving that slider all the way down to the left (at the end: better Antialiasing and better fps on my system). You could als try the upscaling of your resolution in the nvidia-settings that will give you a sharper image, without having to set your MSAA at 4x.

And otherwise -> see my post right above.

Edited by Franz007

i912900k, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM

22 minutes ago, Franz007 said:

@Mike_CFII_MEL

If you‘re having so much issues with XP12 (since a few days I see you pointing out at what you dislike about it), it looks like it is obviously not the best sim for you. You also seem to be disappointed that XP don’t have the most users and the most developpers. My question is the following one: why don‘t you simply stick to another sim with less issues on your system and where you will find what you like? Just for me/us to understand.

Only started having issues when L/R decided to try and fix some of the issues they were having with the AMD side of things, that introduced the stutters/flickers and it's "NEVER" been the same! As far as XP not being the biggest and badest base platform out there, I could care less. Same holds true for developers, I fly the zibo mod in my hardware flight deck... as stated earlier I don't find anything being developed now-a-days things I would purchase.

Biggest thing that ticks me off about L/R and XPlane,  "N E T W O R K I N G". It's horrendous and unacceptable in any type of professional flight simulator setup! 

• Upvote 1

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

1 hour ago, Franz007 said:

Just a first thought about that. Don‘t use 4x MSAA ever or only if you have very good fps. There is a way of tweaking the settings.txt file and set it there, but moving that slider all the way down to the left (at the end: better Antialiasing and better fps on my system). You could als try the upscaling of your resolution in the nvidia-settings that will give you a sharper image, without having to set your MSAA at 4x.

And otherwise -> see my post right above.

I've spent days if not weeks if one adds up all the time trying various settings. Matter of fact at one point I had found the HOLY GRAIL of Nvidia settings. I even have the videos, those days are gone and nothing has changed on my end except the video board. Check out my settings near the end of the last video and with a I9-10900cpu and  3090 video board... I can't do this with a 7950x3D and 4090 video board.

I even hit the hardest hitting areas demand wise in the states.

"WISH I COULD GO BACK TO XP12b1"

Edited by Mike_CFII_MEL

2 hours ago, Mike_CFII_MEL said:

"N E T W O R K I N G". It

And they hired a guy for no other reason but to solve that, so it isnt an easy thing. That is supposed to start showing in next beta, as well as some multi thread cpu stuff, now that they fixed most problems, need to introduce new ones to keep the complainers happy.

3 hours ago, Mike_CFII_MEL said:

I fly the zibo mod

If you get a minute, would be very interested to know how its perf is stacking up against the sparky744....

Because when I started the sparky744 zibo mod wasnt a VR friendly aircraft, but it's had a lot of development since then.

AutoATC Developer

1 hour ago, mjrhealth said:

And they hired a guy for no other reason but to solve that, so it isnt an easy thing. That is supposed to start showing in next beta, as well as some multi thread cpu stuff, now that they fixed most problems, need to introduce new ones to keep the complainers happy.

As long as L/R keeps touting themselves off as the professional base simulator platform, I will keep reminding them or as you say complain about networking as it's "REQUIRED" in professional multi-computer networked setups.

13 minutes ago, Mike_CFII_MEL said:

As long as L/R keeps touting themselves off as the professional base simulator platform

Well, they are.  X-Plane 12 is being used in several professional areas for educational purposes, as well as flight training.

13 minutes ago, Mike_CFII_MEL said:

I will keep reminding them or as you say complain about networking as it's "REQUIRED" in professional multi-computer networked setups.

Reminding them here doesn't do much.  They never come here.  But you're free to send them constant emails, if you feel it's necessary.  I doubt it is, considering they've hired someone to take care of it.  But by all means, keep reminding them.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Mike_CFII_MEL said:

I've found X-Plane 12 is a resource hog on my setup

I just want to question this 1 comment you made.  Over the years, I've seen people complain that X-Plane ONLY uses a certain percentage of the CPU or GPU.  That it needs to use MORE.  Now, by your account, it does, and it's considered a resource hog because it uses too much.  

Could you please elaborate or clarify?

Personally, I love that X-Plane uses as much of the PC's resources as possible.  It tells me Laminar are doing a stellar job at squeezing every bit of performance out of the hardware.

Edited by GoranM

9 minutes ago, GoranM said:

I just want to question this 1 comment you made.  Over the years, I've seen people complain that X-Plane ONLY uses a certain percentage of the CPU or GPU.  That it needs to use MORE.  Now, by your account, it does, and it's considered a resource hog because it uses too much.  

Could you please elaborate or clarify?

Personally, I love that X-Plane uses as much of the PC's resources as possible.  It tells me Laminar are doing a stellar job at squeezing every bit of performance out of the hardware.

I'm comparing what I can run on my setup between the two base platforms. 

AMD7950X3D, Asus 4090TUF, 64gb DDR 5 @ 6000, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB setup 

Running XP12 I cannot run ONE monitor without stutters and/or flickers @ 4K? This is with multiple sliders moved one notch from full right. Keep in mind, I'm not even running a 3D cockpit/flight deck!!

Running 2020 on the same computer I'm able to run THREE monitors @ 4K with an additional FOUR monitors @ 1366x768 with Ultra settings and still maintain smooth performance.

If I try to run seven monitors off of X-Plane it would be single digit frames no mater where I go

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mike_CFII_MEL said:

Running 2020

Thought you have already concluded that this was your path forward? Mostly because of this:

5 hours ago, Mike_CFII_MEL said:

ticks me off

A hobby that makes you angry? I mean...what are you doing? 

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

7 minutes ago, blingthinger said:

A hobby that makes you angry? I mean...what are you doing? 

Angry, no... annoyed that this issue has been ignored for so long, and yes I know they lost their network guy.... Should of made finding a replacement a priority instead of worrying about blowing leaves and cricket sounds. Again, L/R touts themselves as the pro sim, well pros don't care about blowing leaves and cricket sounds.

Edited by Mike_CFII_MEL
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Mike_CFII_MEL said:

I'm comparing what I can run on my setup between the two base platforms. 

AMD7950X3D, Asus 4090TUF, 64gb DDR 5 @ 6000, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB setup 

Running XP12 I cannot run ONE monitor without stutters and/or flickers @ 4K? This is with multiple sliders moved one notch from full right. Keep in mind, I'm not even running a 3D cockpit/flight deck!!

Running 2020 on the same computer I'm able to run THREE monitors @ 4K with an additional FOUR monitors @ 1366x768 with Ultra settings and still maintain smooth performance.

If I try to run seven monitors off of X-Plane it would be single digit frames no mater where I go

Mike, so much more depends on performance.  The number 1 culprit in degraded performance in X-Plane 12 is plugins.  Every plugin you add, will chew up CPU cycles.  No matter how small it is.  What is the performance like on a bare bones X-Plane 12 installation when compared to one with all your add ons, including plugins?

I have 3 X-Plane setups.  The one with everything installed runs at half the performance as the one with nothing installed.  I use that one to test the add ons I'm working on.

After plugins, it could be anything.  A log file will explain it all, but if you really want to compare, install a 2nd copy with no plugins and then try it again.