Sign in to follow this  
Franz007

X-Plane shining in last navigraph-result

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, fluffyflops said:

You wait till ms2024 comes out if Austin is still faffing about like he is now, by then I’d say xp12 will be a dead dodo.  Just my opinion

THERE IT IS!

It never fails.  Every new release of MSFS, someone always comes out with "RIP X-Plane ".  The icing on top is an MSFS guy showing up in here and virtue signalling the post with a like.  You can bet money on it.

It's been happening since X-Plane started.

Edited by GoranM
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 4

On 12/31/2023 at 5:20 PM, Bjoern said:

While this does explain the technical apects of the material model, there are ZERO practical examples to set up a given material using a freely available tool. 90 % of developers do not care about how F0 = 0 is unrealistic, but instead how to plug this and that into material slots and what to do to obtain a workable result for X-Plane without banging their head on the desk for hours trying to figure out a workflow.

Creating PBR assets is 100% identical for any engine, game or simulator, the only difference are those documented technical aspects and the channels packing that LR came up with for their engine. Its the same industry standart workflows everywhere and there are plenty of free tutorials and tools. 

Frankly, LR should not teach developers how to their job.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GoranM said:

THERE IT IS!

It never fails.  Every new release of MSFS, someone always comes out with "RIP X-Plane ".  The icing on top is an MSFS guy showing up in here and virtue signalling the post with a like.  You can bet money on it.

Right on schedule. Remarkable track record that the airline industry can't beat.  😆

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Inu said:

Frankly, LR should not teach developers how to their job.

Frankly, LR should bridge the gap between industry standards and their end specifications with comprehensible, practical examples, because it's not about some industry professionals who are looking for a new meadow with milkable cash cows, but the grassroots freeware peasant who's interested in getting into the cattle and dairy business. Period.

Edited by Bjoern
  • Upvote 2

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

4 hours ago, GoranM said:

THERE IT IS!

No I have all 3. P3D , xp12 and Ms2020.

Though I rarely use p3d anymore

Look at the amount of users on twitch using ms2020 Vs p3d Vs xp12

Look at how Devs are spending more time on ms2020 than xp.

All 3 platforms have strengths and weaknesses, but there's just a ton more people using ms2020.

14ppkc-6.png

35 minutes ago, fluffyflops said:

All 3 platforms have strengths and weaknesses, but there's just a ton more people using ms2020.

Aahhh ... the older than dirt argument "... but there's just a ton more people buying at McDonalds rather than at a gourmet restaurant". 😅

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

1 hour ago, Bjoern said:

Frankly, LR should bridge the gap between industry standards and their end specifications with comprehensible, practical examples, because it's not about some industry professionals who are looking for a new meadow with milkable cash cows, but the grassroots freeware peasant who's interested in getting into the cattle and dairy business. Period.

What gap? It's the same workflows, same tutorials, same knowledge, everywhere. No secrets in creating PBR assets. Thats what industry standard means, everyone does the same, no hidden secrets from any freeware developer. Art assets are extermely verstaile.

And if, one insist he can't, lots of free materials, many of them free to use even for a commercial purpose, no need to own quixel or substance.

And since i'm assuming no one is trying to create those extra-stylized materials i'd argue that virtually every PBR material you need to create a simple scenery for X-Plane (or any other simulator) is available for free as well, almost ready for the job.

Where the data is stored on texture channels differs between engines, thats it.

Note my comment is about PBR assets, not suggesting LR documentation is perfect, it is far from it.

But for a simple scenery that this freeware developer want to create, everything is crystal clear imo, beyond that, its asking others to do the job for you.

42 minutes ago, uwespeed said:

Aahhh ... the older than dirt argument "... but there's just a ton more people buying at McDonalds rather than at a gourmet restaurant". 😅

Xp12 is hardly a gourmet restaurant.  In it's current state 

14ppkc-6.png

1 hour ago, fluffyflops said:

ll 3 platforms have strengths and weaknesses, but there's just a ton more people using ms2020.

Theres more but most are less fussy than xplane users, thats why so many addons are created, though some have being hammered even by msf users.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, fluffyflops said:

but there's just a ton more people using ms2020.

There is also a lot more users using Windows than Unix...what does that say about the quality of a sim?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

i912900k, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM

2 hours ago, fluffyflops said:

Xp12 is hardly a gourmet restaurant.  In it's current state 

It was and still is more of an area 51 vibe than fancy french cuisine. 

AutoATC Developer

One must also remember the reason for 2024 is they couldnt do things that even Laminar are doing with current engine. hence new build, wonder how quick and how many bugs.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, fluffyflops said:

No I have all 3. P3D , xp12 and Ms2020.

Though I rarely use p3d anymore

Look at the amount of users on twitch using ms2020 Vs p3d Vs xp12

Look at how Devs are spending more time on ms2020 than xp.

I also have all 3. That’s irrelevant, and doesn’t make your comment any more justified.  
Trying to make your candle shine brighter by trying to blow out the other 2, doesn’t work. 
I won’t use the 5 star restaurant to McDonalds comparison, because it offends a few people. How about Subway vs McDonalds?  Or KFC vs McDonald’s?  None of them are going out of business. Just because one is more popular than the other, doesn’t mean the less popular one is going broke. 

Oh, and yes, many devs are making add ons for MSFS. Example. The Bredock 737. Which was a bestseller for several weeks. He took advantage of a golden opportunity. That thing would never do well in X-Plane, for what I would consider, obvious reasons.  I’ll say no more on that one. 

Edited by GoranM
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, GoranM said:

Oh, and yes, many devs are making add ons for MSFS. Example. The Bredock 737. Which was a bestseller for several weeks. He took advantage of a golden opportunity. I’ll say no more on that one. 

Bredok? Rank amateurism.

Captain Sim is where it's AT!!!!

1 minute ago, UrgentSiesta said:

Bredok? Rank amateurism.

Captain Sim is where it's AT!!!!

Ouch. Touché 

🙂

• Like 1