Sign in to follow this  
mryan75

Quest 3?

JetCat how did you get Alien Isolation Mother mod working? I had it years ago but it doesn't work anymore.

16 minutes ago, turbomax said:

we should not drive potential VR beginners away, that's all I wanted to say

I certainly agree, yes. But on the other hand, I feel you should also set a reasonable level of expectation. Otherwise you could also drive first time VR users away if their experience on day 1 is that MSFS doesn't run as great as they hoped, and after a few long evenings of frustrations trying to troubleshoot and understand what could be the issue they instead give up and return their new VR headset.

I use the HP G2 with a i9 10900K and a RTX 3080. I have always gotten what I consider good performance. I do not check FPS. If I get a smooth flight, I am happy. I only on occasion get slight stutter. It is never enough to cause worry. I run mostly medium high to high graphics settings. I do run Global at 110 to make the instruments bigger and easier to read. My old eyes and cataracts can make fine details hard to read.

• Like 2

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

7 minutes ago, jmig said:

My old eyes and cataracts can make fine details hard to read.

you know there are prescription-type lens inserts available for the HP and most other VR headsets?

https://vroptician.com/

https://vroptician.com/prescription-lens-inserts/hp-reverb-g2

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

Just in case the OP is still reading...probably more important than H/W (which can be changed) is personal preference and physical propensity - a good percentage of people don't take to VR and either get nausea or just don't see the point. And if you are the sort of simmer that likes multiple windows and maps and charts and MFDs with tiny digits then maybe VR is not for you...

Try before buy if possible...personally I wouldn't sim without VR anymore (Q3 on a 3080).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, turbomax said:

you know there are prescription-type lens inserts available for the HP and most other VR headsets?

https://vroptician.com/

https://vroptician.com/prescription-lens-inserts/hp-reverb-g2

Yes, I have a pair. However, I don't see much, if any, difference with or without them. I have been fighting getting cataract surgery for years. I think I will have to have it done this year. My eyesight has dropped noticeably and the nighttime glare is getting bad.  

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

On 1/15/2024 at 11:42 AM, JacquesBrel said:

This was not my experience at all with my Quest 2/3 and my 3080. I was able to run at 1.2 pixel density, where the sharpness of cockpit instrument was quite acceptable, at medium to high settings, and at 36fps in most places, except for very large busy airports where I could drop down to 22-28 fps in the worst cases. For me this was overall acceptable performance at acceptable graphics quality. I never had a situation where I would be as low as 10 fps.

I was able to run at 1.2 pixel density”. Can I just ask is that in the occulus software  same place you also set the  refresh rate ?

many thanks

3080rtx  on a i7 12700k with 32 Gig ddr5. 2gig Ssd

Quest 2

Windows 11

15 hours ago, Bozdog said:

I was able to run at 1.2 pixel density”. Can I just ask is that in the occulus software  same place you also set the  refresh rate ?

Yes.

Bought one over Christmas and returned it. The performance was awful at low settings. The foreground and horizon were kind of blurry. The resolution felt like 1366x768. Lots weird shimmering artifacts and stutters. The system-on-chip does not have the horse power to drive any flight simulator.  

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

3 hours ago, strider1 said:

Bought one over Christmas and returned it. The performance was awful at low settings. The foreground and horizon were kind of blurry. The resolution felt like 1366x768. Lots weird shimmering artifacts and stutters. The system-on-chip does not have the horse power to drive any flight simulator.  

I had the same issue. Then I bought virtual desktop. Now everything is fine. Just needed to make some tweaks with the settings.  I think that there is no VR headset which is plug and play... Must play around with the settings....

Intel i9-13900K, GIGABYTE GAMING Z790, GeForce RTX4080, 32GB

15 minutes ago, zorro747 said:

I had the same issue. Then I bought virtual desktop. Now everything is fine. Just needed to make some tweaks with the settings.  I think that there is no VR headset which is plug and play... Must play around with the settings....

My next headset is going to be a pcvr, probably Bigscreen-Beyond.  

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

4 hours ago, strider1 said:

The system-on-chip does not have the horse power to drive any flight simulator.

You obviously were unable to tune your Quest 3 for your system,

Quest Pro ‘with system-on-chip’ works brilliantly with all the flight sims here…

5 hours ago, strider1 said:

The system-on-chip does not have the horse power to drive any flight simulator.

If you are assuming that the Quest 3 processor is running MSFS instead of the PC then you are very mistaken.

It sounds like you didn't manage to configure the Quest software and MSFS to run properly in VR, and I can assure you it is possible to get decent VR performance and image quality with your system.

Edited by JacquesBrel

5 hours ago, strider1 said:

I don't think running a full flight sim with addons on the headset's hardware if even possible is going to achieve much. It's obviously nowhere near what good PC hardware can do. The idea is to connect a standalone headset to the PC while having the sim run on your PC.

Although this isn't ideal either, because the GPU has to do more work to render the picture for the headset via streaming than if you plugged a PCVR headset straight into the GPU via display port. There will be a performance penalty.

I've tried the Pico 4 but returned it because connecting the headset to the PC via streaming just doesn't make a lot of sense when you have to fiddle with stuff like moving your router or even buying an additional Wi-Fi adapter to get a decent connection. Virtual Desktop also just a work around to use a standalone headset in a way it's not even designed to be used in the first place, since the whole focus is running apps on the headset.

Standalone headsets are a cool idea for anything else that's more lightweight and runs natively on the headset, but until they become more powerful it doesn't make sense to run a full-fledged flight sim on it or via streaming instead of just using a PCVR headset to connect straight to the GPU via cable and take full advantage of powerful PC hardware and a stable connection.

I'm also not sure if it's a good idea to have high intensity Wi-Fi signals right next to your brain all the time with a streaming headset.

Edited by threegreen

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

i have a Reverb G2 and 3080ti, VR has always been a great experience, but you just need to be realistic about how you will need to turn down the visuals - same as if you go triple screen 2D.

But - if you are reasonably good at flying a GA aircraft, VR will instantly make you a 10 times better pilot.

The realism is at times breathtaking, when you fly a VFR circuit you will be amazed at your ability to judge your height and position, confidence in flaring and cutting power etc., you can look away from instruments and out the windows and instinctively keep the aircraft banked and level, something I find tough in 2D.

Learning in 2D has made us better virtual pilots than you might think!

When the burden of big headsets that cut you off from the real world are gone, I think VR will explode in popularity in simming.

• Like 1