Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Is it my setup or London look terrible in the sim?

PG cities are sceneries on your computer, not on the servers, as far as I know. They are part of the base sim content, or world updates content. As a matter of fact, it was recommended (in the community, not by Asobo) to uninstall the PG cities from the content manager to help with the scenery loading smoothness in flight, wasn't it ?

So servers and / or internet provider have most likely nothing to do with melted buildings.

1 minute ago, Daube said:

PG cities are sceneries on your computer, not on the servers, as far as I know. They are part of the base sim content, or world updates content. As a matter of fact, it was recommended (in the community, not by Asobo) to uninstall the PG cities from the content manager to help with the scenery loading smoothness in flight, wasn't it ?

So servers and / or internet provider have most likely nothing to do with melted buildings.

why then the sim should warn you that your bandwidth is not up to it ?

• Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

It's a very good question but I really have no idea 😕

London for MSFS (and it's Free)

https://flightsim.to/file/3776/london-city

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

14 minutes ago, Daube said:

I suspect that a combination of a 3PD air traffic, nicely modeled Heathrow and LC airports, GAIST and an airliner à la PMDG is a bit heavy to swallow for the computer and coupled with a poor connection kills the PG. I have none of this and get a reasonably good rendering. 

Now all PG sceneries are not alike. I have seen poor results in Italy where only the modeling was I think the reason of melted roofs.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

23 minutes ago, Daube said:

Because most of the data is not installed but actually streamed. In Mark's post on the previous page TB's of data are mentioned.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Daube said:

Wrong.

Read this: https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4755172779548-How-to-fix-poor-photogrammetry Most of the article is all about connection data, cache and other network related stuff. "Streaming Photogrammetry requires downloading large amounts of data regularly."

PG streams MORE data than non-PG scenery.

I have PG turned off since day one (or two 😉 ) and never look back (well, I did 'look back' a few times but I simply can't stand PG. Awful stuff.)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SierraHotel said:

London for MSFS (and it's Free)

https://flightsim.to/file/3776/london-city

It looks nice, but it appears to be abandonware.

To minimise the chances of incompatibilities, performance drops and/or CTDs, I strongly suggest not installing/removing any installed add-ons that have gone 6 (certainly 12) months without an update. The Sim Updates change the base sim too much to rely on outdated mods working as well as they were originally designed or even at all.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

28 minutes ago, tup61 said:

Wrong.

Read this: https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4755172779548-How-to-fix-poor-photogrammetry Most of the article is all about connection data, cache and other network related stuff. "Streaming Photogrammetry requires downloading large amounts of data regularly."

PG streams MORE data than non-PG scenery.

I have PG turned off since day one (or two 😉 ) and never look back (well, I did 'look back' a few times but I simply can't stand PG. Awful stuff.)

Ok that makes sense, thanks.

I have PG disabled as well, despite having a nice internet connection. It's more the performance that's problematic on my old computer 😄

While the building shapes are indeed awful most of the times, I do enjoy the general rendering of the PG cities from a distance. Mostly thanks to better/richer colors, somehow. Autogen looks better in details when we get close, but PG looks better overall (as long as we don't zoom or get too close 😄 ).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daube said:

but PG looks better overall (as long as we don't zoom or get too close

this ^^

• Like 3

Dominique

11 hours ago, Dillon said:

Glade most of the world doesn't look this way.  The popularity of FS would be a 180 from what it is today.  Asobo has to address this with 2024, I've lost hope much improvement will happen for 2020 at this point. If I was a simmer from the London area I guess I'd be on XP12.  What's crazy is a big chunk of the FS market is in Europe, you'd think they'd take care of one of their core audiences.

The photogrammetry data they licensed wasn't particularly good (Bluesky I think), hence they didn't have much to go off to start with, but it looks very much like you have a connection problem, as even on my relatively slow internet it at least looks way better than this. Photogrammetry has always been hit & miss for me, sometimes it looks great, other times blocky and not great.

I do find that PG looks its worst in the evenings (likely during times of heavier internet traffic) so I may have to bite the bullet and pay for a high tier of internet to see if it makes a difference.  Although my internet currently is advertised as having “350 Mbps download” speeds so that should be good enough on paper at least.  Next tier is 940Mbps.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

3 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

why then the sim should warn you that your bandwidth is not up to it ?

Yes, the quality of the photogrammetry is obviously linked to internet bandwidth.  When flying with photogrammetry (not often) I can sometimes see the scenery buildings filling-in right in front of my eyes when my internet connection is slow.

I tend to fly with photogrammetry off as I prefer the consistency and smoothness (my connection is not always the best).  I find the auto generated buildings mixed with some of the scenery packs is quite acceptable.

I think some people are reluctant to try without photogrammetry because they get this confused with the Bing map imagery, which they want to keep, as it is a big part of the look of MSFS.  But obviously, they are separate things.

Good to see you back!

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Here I do not use a cache. Fast IN connection. Anyone tried downloading London manually into the cache to see if it made any difference ?

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

18 minutes ago, regis9 said:

I do find that PG looks its worst in the evenings (likely during times of heavier internet traffic) so I may have to bite the bullet and pay for a high tier of internet to see if it makes a difference.  Although my internet currently is advertised as having “350 Mbps download” speeds so that should be good enough on paper at least.  Next tier is 940Mbps.

Higher max speeds don't necessarily affect minimum speeds when your ISPs network is congested. Still, can be worth a try.

• Upvote 1