Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Is it my setup or London look terrible in the sim?

I haven't really flew in London recently but after setting up my new video card with my Reverb G2 I took a flight over to downtown London from one of the suburban airfields (the one right by McClaren's headquarters).  What I found downtown was blobs everywhere.  I went back and tried it again in 2D only to find much of the same (the VR headset just enhances what's there in 2D).  So I'm wondering is it just my setup or after all these updates since London was enhanced by Asobo it's still this bad and if so I'm surprised UK simmers haven't been screaming about this (maybe I just didn't hear about it being a US flier interested in other parts of the world).😶  

What other areas are this bad in the sim that shouldn't be (again if it's not just my setup :ph34r:)? 

Edited by Dillon
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

It's not your setup...London has always looked like a melted mess to me in MSFS. And it has not gotten much better as time goes on. Why they can't do better, I have no clue. 

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

50 minutes ago, Dillon said:

I haven't really flew in London recently but after setting up my new video card with my Reverb G2 I took a flight over to downtown London from one of the suburban airfields (the one right by McClaren's headquarters).  What I found downtown was blobs everywhere.

That will be Fairoaks airport.  No blobs with photogrammetry turned off.

• Upvote 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

50 minutes ago, Dillon said:

I haven't really flew in London recently but after setting up my new video card with my Reverb G2 I took a flight over to downtown London from one of the suburban airfields (the one right by McClaren's headquarters).  What I found downtown was blobs everywhere.

That will be Fairoaks airport.  No blobs with photogrammetry turned off.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

36 minutes ago, sniper31 said:

It's not your setup...London has always looked like a melted mess to me in MSFS. And it has not gotten much better as time goes on. Why they can't do better, I have no clue. 

This. London has never been great but it used to have good days and bad days. For the last eighteen months every day has been a bad day.

Paris used to be really good. These days it's merely okay. Tokyo has followed a similar path.

For something equally as bad as London, try downtown Houston. 

Best of the bunch, imo; New York and Washington.

PG cities used to give a real sense that you are over a particular city. However, they're typically now such performance and immersion killers that PG off is far more realistic and acceptable.

I've taken to buying city packs such as SamScene3D's cities and Orbx's Landmarks packs – haven't looked back since.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by F737MAX
  • Like 6

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

All I can say is, wow...😳 

Glade most of the world doesn't look this way.  The popularity of FS would be a 180 from what it is today.  Asobo has to address this with 2024, I've lost hope much improvement will happen for 2020 at this point. If I was a simmer from the London area I guess I'd be on XP12.  What's crazy is a big chunk of the FS market is in Europe, you'd think they'd take care of one of their core audiences.

Edited by Dillon
  • Like 1

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, Dillon said:

Glade most of the world doesn't look this way.  The popularity of FS would be a 180 from what it is today.  Asobo has to address this with 2024, I've lost hope much improvement will happen for 2020 at this point. If I was a simmer from the London area I guess I'd be on XP12.  What's crazy is a big chunk of the FS market is in Europe, you'd think they'd take care of one of their core audiences.

Can you provide a screenshot of it so I know exactly what you are referring to?

I took a quick snapshot of london (default) from my sim and this is what it looks like for me.

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

This. London has never been great but it used to have good days and bad days.

Sorry but this doesn't make sense. If PG looks bad on "certain days" it means that your connection has good or bad days, not the sim data. 

My London looks like Kevin_28's screenshot.

To @Dillon: when you swapped GPU, did you delete the shaders and rolling cache?

• Like 2

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

11 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

it means that your connection has good or bad days, not the sim data. 

It can just as easily mean the MSFS servers are having bad days. From server connection error message pop-ups and live weather not working, to poor PG data quality being received.

You can you tell when it's server, rather than client-side, when multiple people, from all over the World, post the same complaint at the same time on the official MSFS forums.

Edited by F737MAX
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Anyone knows if Asobo has ever responded to the “melted” PG city issue as in the past this has come up multiple times.

I see it when combing out of Amsterdam when getting above 4000-5000 ft and looking into the distance. At a lower altitude it all looks well. And at from a certain altitude you don’t notice it anymore.

600mb IN connection…

• Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

32 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Anyone knows if Asobo has ever responded to the “melted” PG city issue as in the past this has come up multiple times.

I see it when combing out of Amsterdam when getting above 4000-5000 ft and looking into the distance. At a lower altitude it all looks well. And at from a certain altitude you don’t notice it anymore.

600mb IN connection…

IIRC yes they mentioned it in a Q&A and said an update was coming to fix it, but that was a fair few months ago.

Edit found it, I was wrong it's many years ago... August 2021:

"[On London] I have some regrets looking back when we did the England [World] update. We put it out when the time we said, but I still don’t think London is up to snuff to what it should have been. The photogrammetry data is complicated, but it’s massive. TBs of data and then crunch it into something we can stream. I’m going to re-do London." - Jorg Neumann

Edited by MarcG
  • Like 6

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

6 hours ago, Dillon said:

Why would that send you to XP12? - MSFS with PG off looks far better than XP12 could ever be, with better frame rates as well......

G

• Like 4

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

This is what I get on my old computer with a crappy connection at 9 am GMT+1 with the default air traffic. Not all buildings are nice, some textures are so so but some are quite good. The totally melted buildings is a weird issue. Overloaded servers at times, ambitious settings on the client simputer (like a fully textured air traffic app) ?

EDIT curiously enough I had that message about my bandwidth not good enough for PG but I persisted and got a reasonably good and almost smooth experience

Microsoft Flight Simulator Screenshot 2024.01.17 - 09.08.21.67

Microsoft Flight Simulator Screenshot 2024.01.17 - 09.08.39.43

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 3

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam