Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Coming Up Next in SU15 | Less Stutters, Pauses & More

On 2/3/2024 at 2:19 AM, mpo910 said:

Why do you have these expectations? What does lead to those?

Because we already have FSR2 fully implemented and available in MSFS.  FSR3 is just the next version so it should be a piece of cake 🤩 

According to Asobo Executive Producer: "So, yes obviously we have a strong relationship with AMD, we want to bring this technology into flight sim, um I cannot commit to a date. I'm very sorry. But it's something we want to bring to our Engine".

Since release is not planned until March 12, I expect they will do whatever it takes to implement FSR3.

21 hours ago, MrFuzzy said:

Normal expectations for a triple A game in 2024, published by the world's biggest software company?

They're really not. Especially a flight simulator.

6 hours ago, Greazer said:

FSR3 is just the next version so it should be a piece of cake 🤩 

This is not really the case.

FSR3 comes with a bunch of different requirements than FSR2, including a totally different async swapchain implementation, the necessity to integrate the frame generation (not even present in FSR2), and a whole new requirement to split UI into a different rendering path entirely. Definitely will probably take a good amount of doing, if I had to guess, based on the FSR upgrade docs and presentation.

6 hours ago, Greazer said:

Since release is not planned until March 12, I expect they will do whatever it takes to implement FSR3.

Keep in mind that in software development land big features like this can easily take even an experienced engine programmer a few weeks to a month+ (especially to ensure the render path changes haven't broken anything unrelated), the SU15 beta starts in a few weeks, and code for big features should be well out of dev and in internal testing a good amount of time before beta.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Don't underestimate. Given the talent of Asobo team and given the backing of a 3 trillion dollar company, with the vast array of resources and tools including AI tools and code generators including Copilot whereby you only need enter comments and it generates the code immediately for you, such an upgrade should not be so demanding and they can knock it out pretty quick. I expect nothing less.

Just be thankful that Microsoft continues to support MSFS20 with free updates, and be thankful that we're getting a new sim. You don't reach a $3 trillion dollar valuation by spending money on products that aren't making money or by upsetting your investors. This is why I think it's only a matter of time before the MS series flatlines, and Microsoft decides to pull the plug, similar to what they did with FSX. The only silver lining is that we should have a sim that performs well for years to come because of all the hard work Asobo is putting into MSFS2020 and 2024.

13 minutes ago, YVR_23 said:

Just be thankful that Microsoft continues to support MSFS20 with free updates, and be thankful that we're getting a new sim. You don't reach a $3 trillion dollar valuation by spending money on products that aren't making money or by upsetting your investors. This is why I think it's only a matter of time before the MS series flatlines, and Microsoft decides to pull the plug, similar to what they did with FSX. The only silver lining is that we should have a sim that performs well for years to come because of all the hard work Asobo is putting into MSFS2020 and 2024.

Nothing is forever but I sense MS has a special place in its corporate heart (corporations are people, right? 🙃) for Flight Simulator.  This is at least Round 3 for them in flight simulation.  They've made a point to leapfrog the two rivals and are about to do it again.  I think it was brilliant to sell off ESP rights to LM which kept them tied up with a very old model.  Meanwhile, they looked ahead and saw a 10y project out far enough to be able to exploit high bandwidth internet to deliver what we are seeing now which is guaranteed to improve even more over time.  This serious effort to yet again enhance performance not only helps the Xbox base but opens up headroom to enhance cloud definition and so much more.  Flight simulation is a niche game, but it's apparently it's a substantial niche when you look at just how many flight simulators have come and gone over the decades.   Perhaps by the time MS/A are effectively done developing they can sustain it as an ultra stable product with a durable user base sufficient to cover the costs of the servers involved.

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

45 minutes ago, YVR_23 said:

This is why I think it's only a matter of time before the MS series flatlines, and Microsoft decides to pull the plug,

I doubt it. Why would they pull off a successful Sim with cash cow (store) then leave it be?

Some time in future there will be the new FSW (flight sim world) whereby you enter the store to buy new furniture or paintings for your house or grab some new tires for your in sim 4wd.

On 2/4/2024 at 7:45 AM, Greazer said:

Because we already have FSR2 fully implemented and available in MSFS.  FSR3 is just the next version so it should be a piece of cake 🤩 

According to Asobo Executive Producer: "So, yes obviously we have a strong relationship with AMD, we want to bring this technology into flight sim, um I cannot commit to a date. I'm very sorry. But it's something we want to bring to our Engine".

dont expect FSR3 until MSFS 24 that for sure

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Greazer said:

I doubt it. Why would they pull off a successful Sim with cash cow (store) then leave it be?

Some time in future there will be the new FSW (flight sim world) whereby you enter the store to buy new furniture or paintings for your house or grab some new tires for your in sim 4wd.

It's because people don't understand the business model, simple as that. Lots of people think MS is just shoveling money into a bonfire here, not recognizing that they're picking up a solid commission on everything that gets sold on the Marketplace, and the market for those products, by all accounts, is larger than I would have ever expected.

Look at their 2023 Platinum/Gold sellers - not a single product I own, and a lot of high priced CaptainSim addons and $15 livery packs. Commission on that adds up real quick.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Greazer said:

Copilot whereby you only need enter comments and it generates the code immediately for you, such an upgrade should not be so demanding and they can knock it out pretty quick.

I think you hugely overestimate the capabilities of Copilot and other AI code generation solutions. Having used them myself their nice tools to reduce workload a little in simplistic environments, not integrate FSR3 in a custom game engine. There's still a lot of work to be done here to getting this integrated in a native manner

• Upvote 2

Another issue to add to the list....

• Both runway starts at ENSB Svalbard (the hand crafted version of the airport included in WU15) position the aircraft at the runway 28 threshold.
Edited by Christopher Low
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

On 2/5/2024 at 10:49 AM, YVR_23 said:

I'm sure Microsoft's business plan is more than just a flight simulator. They are basically building a digital twin (that's Microsoft's own words) of the planet, Microsoft's own Bing version of "Google Earth" - that arguably has already surpassed Google Earth. This will be able to used in an amazing amount of applications extending to professional and scientific uses. MSFS is also a technology demonstrator for many Microsoft technologies such as Azure cloud etc.

Flight Simulator may just be the launch application (and a very rich visual demonstration) of this platform. This may be why Microsoft is so protective of the weather system, not providing a rich weather API - because their long term plans include this digital twin being a real time environmental (climate) model as well.

Think about it - all the blessed 3rd party partners they have engaged are working on the application layer such as vehicles / or scenery models that sit on top of their world. Any vendor who has "messed" with the core planet (such as providing a limited season texture change etc) are tolerated as "hacks" but not officially blessed or promoted by Microsoft.

• Upvote 1

Would love to see improvement in the sim that helps some of these airports with pop-in stutters. Some are considerably worse than others, but it always seems to be 100’ off the ground I’ll get a very split second stutter that’s enough to mess up your flare. 

• Like 2

Gaming rig
Intel i9 13900k - NZXT Kraken Z73 cooler - ASUS Maximus Hero Z790 
32GB Trident Z 6000MHz DDR5 - Gigabyte 4090 GAMING OC 24G
10 x 120mm Lian Li UNI fans - Lian Li OD11XL Case - Corsair HX1500i PSU

13 minutes ago, Keirtt said:

helps some of these airports with pop-in stutters.

Download and use the freeware DynamicLOD app. You can reduce the TLOD and OLOD at AGL of your choosing to avoid stutters at critical times of flight.

Edited by F737MAX

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

1 minute ago, F737MAX said:

Download and use the freeware DynamicLOD app. You can reduce the TLOD and OLOD at AGL of your choosing to avoid stutters at critical times of flight.

Lowering TLOD and OLOD doesn’t really help, at least not for me. Whether TLOD is 100 or 400, at some point the sim needs to load some scenery and it will do it at the worst possible time. This is my biggest issue with the game right now and my only hope is that *maybe* the memory management fix in Su15 will improve it but I need to keep my expectations low.