Sign in to follow this  
Tuskin38

The Free and Optional Dune Expansion is Out

1 minute ago, abennett said:

Yes, I think it’s far too much of a coincidence that the last sim update everything when really orange and far too warm and then an official update comes out which is set somewhere where the atmosphere orange and warm.

That's a stretch but since you missed it

World

• Used more realistic mapping of wave lengths onto RBG values for the ozone layer scattering and the sun color, resulting in more realistic colors of the sky and the lighting in the world.

Excerpt from the SU14 release notes.

MSFS can and already does cater to both hardcore simmers and gamers alike, it doesn't have to be binary or some conspiracy to simply cater to the arcade folks.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 3

Oh look! That spinning circle is back again!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

If I were a curmudgeonly old man with too little to do in life I'd probably complain about this. Instead I'll probably download it and faff about a bit for fun some day, then go back to enjoying my world tour in my Comanche.

Sometimes it's fun to just have fun.

• Like 15
  • Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, ThomseN_inc said:

Oh look! That spinning circle is back again!

It was. A restart fixed it for me. 

• Like 2

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

8 minutes ago, Lucky38i said:

That's a stretch but since you missed it

I didn’t miss it. 

I know they changed the values, but they are anything but realistic. If there are clouds sunrise and sunset are just ridiculously bright orange scenes. This is why using reshade and using custom sky colours is more popular than ever. 

I think it’s entirely possible they changed the values to work with the upcoming Dune expansion, or this expansion just wouldn’t look right. 

For what it’s worth, I have no problem with this type of thing, this one in particular or the Top Gun stuff, or whatever that Mach 10 aircraft is.

I have no interest at all in these things, but there are those that do, and it’s great that they are available for those that want to use them.

I’m just saddened that it comes at a detriment to the core sim. Whether that be altering the atmospherics of the sim to make a Dune expansion look good, or the resources that go into these projects when there are so many core issues with the sim that time/money could be spent on instead.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, abennett said:

I think it’s entirely possible they changed the values to work with the upcoming Dune expansion, or this expansion just wouldn’t look right. 

I’m just saddened that it comes at a detriment to the core sim. Whether that be altering the atmospherics of the sim to make a Dune expansion look good, or the resources that go into these projects when there are so many core issues with the sim that time/money could be spent on instead.

Oh so you're not joking then, you *really* think it's "entirely possible" that all that work to fix the atmospheric colors, consideration of Biology's findings, and then backporting a subset of MSFS 2024's new re-written atmospheric engine was all to.... cater to this free fantasy expansion. Sure, that sounds plausible! I guess v2024's atmosphere is also saddled with this intentional catering to the Dune expansion 🙃

And oh, there's that old-but-gold argument again about how these fun/entertainment expansions must therefore mean the core sim is being neglected... gee I didn't see that coming 🙂  Well, here's a TLDR again to dispel this anxiety: MS has tonnes of resources, 500+ people working on v2020 and v2024, and also contracts out to 3rd party devs for these kinds of expansions. They are able to do multiple things concurrently, something that is possible due to the deep pockets of MS. Also, common logic point #1: because they are working on X doesn't mean Y is getting neglected. And common logic point #2: throwing more devs on specific area/problem Z doesn't mean it gets solved faster. 

And finally, MS is not doing this all *just* for fun, there's a smart business move here to tie-in MSFS with an upcoming blockbuster movie (like they did with Top Gun).. one that translates to dollars... which in turn ultimately benefts, you guessed it, the core sim.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

15 minutes ago, St Mawgan said:

It was. A restart fixed it for me. 

Not just Sim restart but PC (in my case)

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Lonesome Cowboy Burt said:

Anyone know what was the small update that loaded when the sim started?

The new splash screens.

4 minutes ago, Lonesome Cowboy Burt said:

Whats the film like then?

The film is great. The only downside was the studio consideration to not dare to release a single 4 hour movie and instead only fund half of it first to see how it would do at the box office and then greenlight the 2nd part. That made the film feel unevenly paced, because it leads to nothing but the half way point of the book.

But the art design, the direction, the cinematography and the soundtrack are otherworldly.

Edited by Farlis
  • Like 1

These promotions are also paid for by the company, meaning more money towards developing the sim.

According to the last dev Q&A they had to create an entirely new flight model for the ornithopter.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, abennett said:

or the resources that go into these projects when there are so many core issues with the sim that time/money could be spent on instead.

I think it is the other way round: they got paid to promote the Dune movie. just like with the Top gun expansion. which I haven't even touched yet. 😃

• Like 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

31 minutes ago, abennett said:

I think it’s entirely possible they changed the values to work with the upcoming Dune expansion,

Nah that's complete bull. They did it because people asked for it.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Lonesome Cowboy Burt said:

What on earth does St Valentine's day have to do with Sales?

That's what I say to my wife, but she just won't listen.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, abennett said:

I didn’t miss it. 

I know they changed the values, but they are anything but realistic. If there are clouds sunrise and sunset are just ridiculously bright orange scenes. This is why using reshade and using custom sky colours is more popular than ever. 

For what it’s worth, I have no problem with this type of thing, this one in particular or the Top Gun stuff, or whatever that Mach 10 aircraft is.

I have no interest at all in these things, but there are those that do, and it’s great that they are available for those that want to use them.

Yeah you might wanna lay off the funky juice and put your tin foil hat back in the cupboard mate, you're well off with your wild presumptions 😆

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Let's enjoy this small gift. I can't wait to watch the "Part 2 movie" (seats already booked). I'm currently downloading the expansion that will last certainly less than 24 hours on my PC, but I 100% appreciate this. Period.

If it brings brand new simmers into our community, let's welcome them and if it increases the traction for our passion that's another gift.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio