Sign in to follow this  
lwt1971

Fenix A320 V2 Block2 features deep dive video

11 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

outermarker: A question for the art team: since there will be some kind of dynamic dirt on the engines, is there any chance that something similar could come for the windshield? It's currently very pristine, so some splattered bugs and grimes, possibly even dynamic, would really enhance the immersion IMO.

Dave: look closely at the video and you may see the improvements to the windscreen in that respect 😉

Nice!, they have not shown much of the visual fidelity improvements yet I believe right? Going to be interesting what's in the final B2 release. There is this post I guess: https://discord.com/channels/736572376967282769/736710909887643679/1191172782206222488 with various screenshots and descriptions

Edited by lwt1971

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

13 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

Nice!, they have not shown much of the visual fidelity improvements yet I believe right? Going to be interesting what's in the final B2 release.

They've shown some pics and discussed in the #announcements channel.

A couple of close ups showing the engine in detail; everything from subtle panel deformation due to the heat cycling of the engine, to the dirt being pushed out of the panel seams by the air-stream in flight. You'll see this a lot around the new exterior in Block 2: physically accurate, physics-driven weathering.

[...]

Boarding the aircraft again, we can see the winglight not just illuminating the mighty/mini V2500, but also correctly casting shadows on the intake and the ground. This is part of the new shadow-casting lights in Block 2, a first in MSFS.

[...]

I prefer flying with it [the dome light] off, leaving just the integrals to illuminate the way. In Block 1, this isn't really possible as the integrals don't bleed any light into the rest of the flightdeck, leaving you to 'guess' your way around.

With Block 2, the integral lighting reflect(s) off of and bounce(s) around various cockpit surfaces, switches, and panels, to give you just enough light to fly with.

^ Mostly lost in the recent excitement of improvements to the flight model, engine model, new engine variant and fan blade icing and compressor stalls. 

Yet, these are excellent looking details that further enhance the product, driving up the immersion factor, IMO.

Edited by F737MAX
  • Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

2 hours ago, kholt said:

There is no aspect in which MSFS is better than its peers with the sole exception of visual accuracy and detail

Show me default avionics that come even close to the G1000, GNS430/530 and now G3X, in any other sim?

Heck, show me default aircraft in general that come close to MSFS's SR22T, Longitude and even the C172 G1000!

Fly the default aircraft in P3D much? 😄

Edited by JYW
  • Like 3

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

1 hour ago, kholt said:

Hard to take your evaluation seriously with all your hypotheticals about what may or may not exist in the future, much less the present.

Your evaluation is not based on less hypotheticals about what may or may not exist in the future, so how should we take it more serious? You started talking about a superior A320 simulation, something which you now call outlandish and intellectually immature.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

Please, let's.

The Sim vs. Sim argument merry-go-round is tedious when there are so many better things to discuss.

Namely:

outermarker: A question for the art team: since there will be some kind of dynamic dirt on the engines, is there any chance that something similar could come for the windshield? It's currently very pristine, so some splattered bugs and grimes, possibly even dynamic, would really enhance the immersion IMO.

Dave: look closely at the video and you may see the improvements to the windscreen in that respect 😉

I'm not quite sure what to make of his comment. I watched the video again, and yes, there are a few spots on the windshield (hardly any though, it's super clean still), but based on these few scenes, you can't tell if it's dynamic or not.

20 minutes ago, JYW said:

Show me default avionics that come even close to the G1000, GNS430/530 and now G3X, in any other sim?

Heck, show me default aircraft in general that come close to MSFS's SR22T, Longitude and even the C172 G1000!

Fly the default aircraft in P3D much? 😄

I flew P3D for many years. I tried one of their default aircraft "once" That was enough for me. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Guys.  The super offensive comment has been removed and the user has been dealt with.  

• Like 6

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

When I fly in real life, I enjoy looking out the windscreen and seeing something that looks real. That is not what I see in the two decades or more, old technology scenery, that the other sims produce. That is why I truly enjoy flying in MSFS. 

When you fly in real life at FL380, how much scenery do you see out the window?  When I fly an A320 the only time I see much scenery is on final approach, and I'm too busy flying safely to enjoy the view.  Even on approach, P3D looks pretty darn good with 3rd party add-on airports (e.g., Flightbeam).  I agree flying a Piper Cub is a lot more fun in MSFS though.

And... there's another thread lost to the boring this sim, that sim hamsterwheel.

Just lock it already.

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

8 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

And... there's another thread lost to the boring this sim, that sim hamsterwheel.

I agree.  Knock it off and get back to the topic, please.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

22 minutes ago, kholt said:

When you fly in real life at FL380, how much scenery do you see out the window?  When I fly an A320 the only time I see much scenery is on final approach, and I'm too busy flying safely to enjoy the view.  Even on approach, P3D looks pretty darn good with 3rd party add-on airports (e.g., Flightbeam).  I agree flying a Piper Cub is a lot more fun in MSFS though.

Depends where you are flying. Over France, the Med on a Clear day you see a lot. Anyway

The change log I will enjoy having a read when released. 

Edited by carlanthony24

3 hours ago, lwt1971 said:

If you want to pick on the particular topic of multiple displays/monitor support as a main point and then say because of that P3D + FSL is better then sure (for those where that is a must-have) .. but when you try to cast those choosing the Fenix as doing so because of dirt accumulation or passenger seats, then it's kind of hard to take you seriously 🤷‍♂️.

Sounds like you’ve failed basic reading comprehension.  The original post to which I responded asked the question whether Fenix V2 made FSLabs obsolete.  I pointed out that there are a few areas where it does not replace FSLabs, namely in terms of support for hardware cockpits, multi-monitor setups or weather radar.  That is not some kind of claim of superiority of FSLabs as you infer, just a statement of a few facts that no one can dispute which are relevant to those of us that care about them.  So no, Fenix V2 does not make FSLabs obsolete to the original point, even if it were “better” in some other aspect.

Not once did I say or imply P3D is “better” than MSFS.   What I did do is dismiss people who make wholly generic and sweeping statements that one is “vastly better” than the other.  The ONLY aspect that I am aware of where Fenix is in fact “vastly better” is quite specifically with respect to visual fidelity.  I would love to be educated on other aspects in which Fenix is “vastly” better as I haven’t found them or heard of them.

I regularly fly MSFS, P3D and XP.  For the A320 I fly mostly FSLabs A320 but also FBW, Fenix and Toliss.  Recently I’ve been evaluating Pro-Sim and JeeHell FMGS as my hardware cockpit expands.  They each have their strengths and weaknesses, but I enjoy them all for what each is good at.  I am also a serious pilot and a serious simulation pilot, and as much as I love awesome graphics and scenery, I’m not so enamored of it that I can’t see past it.

But hey, enjoy your nice textures with dirt and scratches….

• Like 1

So anyways 🙄... to add to F737Max's post, here are some from those screencaps and descriptions shared on Fenix's discord (their new custom engine modelling is unprecedented and simulated to crazy depths it appears per the deep dive video, so only makes sense I guess they'd match that with weathering effects that are physics-driven 🙂 )

Boarding the aircraft again, we can see the winglight not just illuminating the mighty/mini V2500, but also correctly casting shadows on the intake and the ground. This is part of the new shadow-casting lights in Block 2, a first in MSFS:
(interesting bit where he talks about the shadow-casting lights being a first in MSFS)

spacer.png

Diving into the cockpit we start to see some of the new night environment improves. A better dome light, new LCD simulation that makes flying at night a LOT nicer, and some subtle improvements across the materials:

spacer.png

A proper close up of the night experience in Block 2. The combination of shadow-casting lights, new integral lighting system, and LCD simulation makes it feel like a whole new aircraft at night. Seriously cozy:

spacer.png

A couple of close ups showing the engine in detail; everything from subtle panel deformation due to the heat cycling of the engine, to the dirt being pushed out of the panel seams by the air-stream in flight. You'll see this a lot around the new exterior in Block 2: physically accurate, physics-driven weathering. The dirt accumulates in the panel seams usually due to rain and water droplets capturing dust and dirt on the aircraft, and drawing it down with gravity until it reaches a seam. This dirt-filled-water is then pushed out of the seams by the high speed airflow in flight, leaving a streak in it's wake. Depending on where the dirt has accumulated, it may contain dust particles or even oil, which will leave a different surface deposit, with oil being a little more reflective and viscous, affecting how it streaks across the surface of the aircraft:

spacer.png

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 3

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS

5 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

spacer.png

Zoom in and see the panel deformations on the cowling and the weathered engine danger area decal.

Think I'm going to spend far too much time looking at these type of details before getting set up in the cockpit with pre-flight.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

Zoom in and see the panel deformations on the cowling and the weathered engine danger area decal.

Think I'm going to spend far too much time looking at these type of details before getting set up in the cockpit with pre-flight.

Insane.. and likewise. I'm also going to spend way too much time on the ground trying out engine starts and non-starts with all the simulated failures in all kinds of weather and winds. Too much to try/simulate even before lift-off 😃

• Like 2

Len