Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Fenix update is out.

11 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I know. Looking especially at my 2nd video (BAW into ENBR with a fairly strong x-wind component), I can tell that the nose didn't make ground contact for quite some time. I remembered that I did get confused after touchdown as I didn't have much yaw authority (not sure how to explain this well) to keep the aircraft on the centreline. I probably unwisely disconnected AP too early, before the nose wheel finally touched down. The aircraft did however do the decrabiing quite well, IMO. 

Here a good video on how to flare on a real A320, I'm testing again and compare with the Fenix performance:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

1 hour ago, Fiorentoni said:

I think one could say: Every approach is an autoland until you take over control.

Agreed.

Although, would you get an autoland with only one of the APs engaged?  

I never do autolands and thus, I personally never arm both APs, so not sure!

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

1 minute ago, JYW said:

with only one of the APs engaged? 

Yes, only that you will see it shown in your FMA as CAT3 Single, (that's if there is no other failure in the required equipment that degrades the aircraft).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

EDIT: here’s the video. Quite strong winds today at ENBR. METAR:

Great video of a stunning scenery!

Totally off topic, but: Everytime I see those videos I wonder how do you guys know when you touched down? There is no shaking or any adequate movement whatsoever in the cockpit when you touch down. It looks so sterile and immersion-breaking. 

Apart from I don't understand why Asobo haven't added a convincing touchdown effect so far themselves, do yourself a favor and get FSRealistic! 😉 Even if you don't use it for anything else but the touchdown effects. These alone are worth it. It adds so much to the immersion. You get a visual and acoustic feedback on your touch down - and how hard it was. You will never want to fly (land) without FSRealistic again. It works fine with the Fenix.

You can see the effect here (at 11:30):

Edited by RALF9636
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

Totally off topic, but: Everytime I see those videos I wonder how do you guys know when you touched down? There is no shaking or any adequate movement whatsoever in the cockpit when you touch down. It looks so sterile and immersion-breaking.

Don’t think it’s off topic. As a matter of fact, I’d like some shaking and perhaps a loud “thump” upon touchdown. In the video I could tell I had touched down as the FMA announced “rollout”.

I think I have FSRealistic (used it a lot in XP11), but completely forgot about it.

At the moment I’m thinking how similar the sounds are compared to the EGLL auto land video that @Claudius_ shared with us. I especially like the significant increase in noise level as the gear is extended.

Just did an IAE engine start and cranked the volume up. I think my floor started to vibrate from the low frequency rumble coming from the subwoofer 🙂 And lest not forget the sounds on takeoff - awesome!

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Posted (edited)

Only time I do an Autoland is if the weather at the arrival is below minimums. Doesn't happen very often, many a dozen times in hundreds and hundreds  of flights. If I can see the runway, at minimums, I always disconnect AP and land . 

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 minute ago, Bobsk8 said:

Only time I do an Autoland is if the weather at the arrival is below minimums. Doesn't happen very often, many a dozen times in hundreds and hundreds  of flights. If I can see the runway, at minimums, I always disconnect AP and land . 

Same. Much more rewarding. Been doing a lot of auto lands lately 'cause of this thread though. Think I've finally understood the logic behind it. 

Btw guys - do you enter ALTN fuel in the INIT B page?

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

1 hour ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Same. Much more rewarding. Been doing a lot of auto lands lately 'cause of this thread though. Think I've finally understood the logic behind it. 

Absolutely gives you a better prediction of holding time plus other factors.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Always. The Init B page needs to be completely filled out. All fuel numbers, according to your dispatch briefing. On the ground the calculation of the minutes remaining will be wrong though. That's a software design flaw of the Airbus. But as soon as the engines are running and you are in the air, the calculations will be correct.

Edited by Farlis
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I tested the autoland at EDDM and LFMN to verify the flare and how to manage the throttles properly, I followed the procedure that A320 Mentor indicated in the above video: it works! At 30ft RA it's important to move the levers to idle, then apply the reverse, in this way the nose is not floating anymore and the airplane is slowing down as we can see in the videos of the real A320. My mistake was in the "retard" thing so I was too late to move the levers to idle, but we have to care just to the 30ft RA. Now I'm not feeling retarded anymore (but I need more tests to verify more things).

Edited by Claudius_
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

@Claudius_ that's good news! On my last autoland (video above) I probably should not have waited until the retard callout to go idle thrust. Usually I go idle around 30-40ft when not doing autolands. And I probably waited too long to apply reverse thrust. Once I did, the nose settled very quickly on the ground. 

Btw I'm going to give FSRealistic another try. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Btw I'm going to give FSRealistic another try.

Just did. I removed most of the various sounds, but found the landing effect useful. Luckily I managed to do an extra hard landing - in order to demonstrate FSR’s capabilities of course *cough*

FSR will surely remove all doubts about whether the aircraft touched down or not. As my video painfully demonstrates 😅

No need to flare with a CONF3 landing, right? 😝

Edited by Cpt_Piett

1 hour ago, Cpt_Piett said:

FSR will surely remove all doubts about whether the aircraft touched down or not. As my video painfully demonstrates 😅

No need to flare with a CONF3 landing, right? 😝

Very nice 😄.

Another nice effect that enhances immersion a lot with the Fenix is the one for the speedbrakes.

Be aware of the low alt turbulence effect though. I'm not sure if it has been solved but it could have adverse effects on the flightmodel of the Fenix. I have it off.

13 hours ago, Claudius_ said:

Here a good video on how to flare on a real A320, I'm testing again and compare with the Fenix performance:

The AI in this vid is a bit disconcerting! 😲

• Like 1

B450 Tomahawk Max / Ryzen 7 5800x3D / RTX 3060ti 8G / Noctua NH-UI21S Max Cooling / 32G Patriot RAM / 1TB NVME / 450G SSD / Thrustmaster TCA & Throttle Quadrant / Xiaomi 32" Wide Curved Monitor 1440p 144hz

37 minutes ago, El Diablito said:

The AI in this vid is a bit disconcerting! 😲

And...?