Sign in to follow this  
captain420

What comes next after PMDG's 777? Max or 747?

13 hours ago, G-YMML1 said:

747 is dead, except for cargo ops. Hope that both MAX and 787 (similarities in navigation equipment) would follow in full range.

Still one of the most loved. So it's far from dead in Simulation.

• Like 3

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

11 hours ago, micstatic said:

nah.  Go to anchorage or LAX.  I would much rather fly a 744 than a 787.  

Me too 110%

• Like 1

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

1 minute ago, YukonPete said:

Still one of the most loved. So it's far from dead in Simulation.

Yes I am one of them. the only reason some air still in use the Boeing replacement has not come, they dropped the ball much to the delight of Airbus.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

7 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

747 will be scrapped by the few cargo carriers that still use. too expensive to maintain and running cost four engine aircraft are not economical.

Lol... don't let the facts that were quoted in the post above yours get in your way;-

20 minutes ago, JRBarrett said:

Right now 01:01Z 08 APR 2024, there are 75 747-400s in flight and 58 747-8s per FlightAware.

Lufthansa intends to keep using them for PAX service for a few more years, and 747 Cargo ops will continue for a long time. Probably at least 10 to 15 years.

747s are nowhere near being scrapped by the "few" cargo operators still using them.  Some took delivery of 747-8s just last year. They'll get 30 years out of those to ensure a ROI.

Even Victor Meldrew wouldn't come out with such nonsense! 😄

• Like 3

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Honestly looking more forward to the MAX due to all new systems. Been flogging 737 and 777 for years.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Honestly after the 777 release I don't care for the Max or the 747 but when I used to go plane spotting at Dulles/Washington I looked forward to watching the 747 and A380 landing there. I never got used to landing the PMDG 747 in FSX so I parked it but loved the 777 by PMDG and the QW 787. 787-10 and 777-9 are the future. Please make it happen PMDG. I trust a A320 neo all day and every day over a "overrated" 737 Max.

Edited by JBDB-MD80

Would have preferred the 747 to come first, but I get why they chose the 777 instead. 

• Like 1

Daniel

GPU : Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 OC | CPU : AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D  | Memory : Kingston Fury Beast 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 | Motherboard : Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX | Win : 11.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

747 will be scrapped by the few cargo carriers that still use. too expensive to maintain and running cost four engine aircraft are not economical.

Cargo airlines have different economics than passenger airlines, mainly because cargo aircraft spend quite a lot of time parked, in contrast to a passenger airline which scrambles to keep aircraft in the air as much as possible. So four engines don't make as much of a difference in economics as it does for a passenger airline, simply because cargo aircraft don't fly as much. Coupled with the payload capabilities of the 747 it's a perfectly viable cargo solution.

There is also little demand for that payload range in the passenger market, which is another reason, besides fuel economics, that the 747 is disappearing from the passenger market. The A380 has never been a success for Airbus either because of the same reason. The passenger market has shifted towards smaller long haul aircraft flying more direct routes rather than huge aircraft connecting mega hubs, which is profitable for only few airlines with the right conditions.

The 767-300ERF is even still in production and highly popular among cargo airlines, despite being an older aircraft with less favorable economics.

5 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

Yes I am one of them. the only reason some air still in use the Boeing replacement has not come, they dropped the ball much to the delight of Airbus.

The 777LRF and the 300ERF and, at some point, the 777X are the replacements. There are plans, at least, for a 787F as well.

Airbus isn't really delighted by anything when it comes to cargo, because Boeing completely dominates the cargo market and Airbus doesn't have anything capable to challenge that domination. The A350F is only now starting to emerge, but that and the A330F and A320-family P2F aren't enough to seriously compete.

Edited by threexgreen
  • Like 3

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Posted (edited)

I'm loving all the "747 cargo planes will be scrapped" comments.  In favor of what? The things carry more weight than a C5. There are only two planes ever produced that out-haul a 747. The AN-124, which you occasionally see at airports in the US because it's such a cargo beast, and the AN225, which you used to see every once in awhile until Russia destroyed it. The rest of the heavy-lifters are mostly military-only.

So if you need to lift a really heavy load, in many cases the 747 is your only option.  And people think we're gonna just junk 'em?!

Yes, they're less efficient than newer planes. But then a train burns more fuel than a Honda Civic, yet if I need to ship 100 box cars full of something, I'm not going to do it in the Honda...

Edited by eslader
  • Like 3

Not to throw a wrench in the mix, but do we think iFly's MAX will beat out PMDG's? At least we have seen some very complete looking interior and exterior screenshots from iFly. Let's face it, if iFly releases their MAX before PMDG's It might very well be the last 737 MAX I buy, Im sure they are are both going to hold their release timelines very close to their chest for the reason stated above.  

https://fselite.net/content/ifly-shows-off-new-737max-previews-in-msfs/

I fly mostly GA and Business jets around ORBX PNW | Im live near Boston so I also will fly in MA and ME |  KLEW- 3B1- KBED 

Also avid RC Pilot, Planes and Heli | Ride a Harley's and Snowmobiles! 

PC Setup: Intel i7 8700k | MD Z370 | MSA GTX1080 | H100 liquid Cooling | 250G SSD | PS RM750 | NZXT S340 Case | Windows 10 | AOC 27" 4K | P3D V4.5 | Saitek Yoke | Saitek Rudder pedals | Saitek Throttle Quad| Lots of Addons| 

Posted (edited)

That's what was so odd about the "Boeing dropped the ball, much to the delight of Airbus" [for freighters] comment.  @threexgreen is not exaggerating when he says that Boeing utterly dominate the freighter market.  Look on the ramp of any cargo airport - other than A300 and A310Fs, Airbus have nothing.  For every A300/310 freighter, there are 10x 747Fs, 767Fs, 777Fs, 757Fs and even a few 737Fs 😊 ......even still some 727Fs!  

My son is a major aviation enthusiast and travels all over Europe (and sometimes North America) taking HQ pics of airliners. He has some aircraft on his 'list' that he's not yet managed to tick off - the A330F is one of them.  Yes there are some out there, but so few compared to Boeing freighters and A300/310s.

I don't pretend to know the stats, but I'd guess that Boeing have over 80% of the worldwide civilian freighter aircraft market.

Edited by JYW
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

8 hours ago, Ryanmlt1 said:

Not to throw a wrench in the mix, but do we think iFly's MAX will beat out PMDG's? At least we have seen some very complete looking interior and exterior screenshots from iFly. Let's face it, if iFly releases their MAX before PMDG's It might very well be the last 737 MAX I buy, Im sure they are are both going to hold their release timelines very close to their chest for the reason stated above.  

https://fselite.net/content/ifly-shows-off-new-737max-previews-in-msfs/

I made the mistake to buy the Ifly 737 for a FSX a long time ago. I won't do it anymore unless the PMDG 737 MAX cost three time the price of the Ifly.

I don't say that Ifly 737MAX will be bad and the Ifly for fsx was pretty decent, no complain about that. But I remember on fsx, updates were less frequent and I always has troubles to find the livery I wanted when it was always available for the PMDG.

On 4/8/2024 at 10:49 AM, tfm said:

What comes next after PMDG's 777? Max or 747?

… about 6 or 7 years of waffle from RSR presumably 🫢

Please say 727-200 ADV

• Like 1

Mark   CYYZ      

Posted (edited)

Raul @ FSReborn is intending to develop a Boeing 727-200 Advanced after the Phenom 300.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png