1 minute ago, MPL said:

I suggested this a long time ago.  Further, they should offer to buy his software and retain him for a year or so to do a full overhaul.  What we have no clue about is how Asobo can tweak the cloud rendering engine and get away with it performance wise.  Damian will be the first to tell you the current method is really hamstrung due ultimately to low resolution 3D pixels and the performance cost of addressing this.  We know there are major improvements coming in multithreading and what I heard from Asobo was that would allow for massive increases in plane surface density (my paraphrase) and that might bode well for getting more distinct cloud morphologies than the current rendering engine will allow for.  

• Like 3

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Noel said:

I suggested this a long time ago.  Further, they should offer to buy his software and retain him for a year or so to do a full overhaul.  What we have no clue about is how Asobo can tweak the cloud rendering engine and get away with it performance wise.  Damian will be the first to tell you the current method is really hamstrung due ultimately to low resolution 3D pixels and the performance cost of addressing this.  We know there are major improvements coming in multithreading and what I heard from Asobo was that would allow for massive increases in plane surface density (my paraphrase) and that might bode well for getting more distinct cloud morphologies than the current rendering engine will allow for.  

Shame on them, Asobo then for not using the one of the best available resources!

Edited by MPL
  • Like 3

Mikael Leinonen

1 hour ago, MPL said:

Done, and appreciate the turn to positive.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 hour ago, MPL said:

Shame on them, Asobo then for not using the one of the best available resources!

Not the only aspect of MSFS that went astray.  I totally appreciate every ounce of what WT has contributed after piercing the armor, but fully developed products like those from Reality XP were available to simply reach out and touch.  Shameless.  I wake up each day and wonder what became of Jean Luc.  I so highly valued his highly significant contributions to this simulation activity.  If there is ever an independant Flight Simulation Hall of Fame he deserves the recognition.  Certainly there were others as well.  Just way too much of the NIHS (NIHS=not invented here syndrom) at play that seems to permeate large organizations where associates are more interested in success through their own innovations instead of recognition of existing innovations that could more immediatley accelerate success of their organizations products.  That clearly occurred with multiple dimension of MSFS 2020.  Weather, traffic, ATC,....

• Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Posted (edited)

After a week with MSFS Active Sky, I'll say it again. 

I'm not a meteorologist, but the weather matches METAR and looks better. I'm seeing rainbows, lightning, and thunder. Super cool

I'm not a licensed pilot but the turbulence and wind effects *feel* better.

What do I know?  Not much. But it *seems* more convincing and I like it better!

(Edit: I never had a problem, especially recently, with MSFS showing me what the METAR looks like. I think live weather in MSFS is really good. I just think this is about 25 dollars better to my untrained eye!)

Edited by JughedJones
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, Bond said:

Thunderstorms at Jeju(RKPC)

https://streamable.com/6b16kd

Paris Timelapse

https://streamable.com/tfevd6

Amazing videos, especially the timelapse!

• Like 2

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

32 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:
7 hours ago, Bond said:

Thunderstorms at Jeju(RKPC)

https://streamable.com/6b16kd

Paris Timelapse

https://streamable.com/tfevd6

Amazing videos, especially the timelapse!

They certainly are.  Considering how fast the time lapse is, the transitions are still really good.  At normal speed hardly noticeable.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

12 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

They certainly are.  Considering how fast the time lapse is, the transitions are still really good.  At normal speed hardly noticeable.

I still haven’t seen any transitions actually. Not noticeable though. Using default settings in latest beta. 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

Certainly haven't reviewed all 32 pages of posts, but after spending the last month flying the airlines quite a bit as a passenger and paying close attention to weather along the way and using ASXP since launch, with a lot of "out the window" comparisons, I've come to really believe it looks far more accurate.  Less "dramatic" than sim default?  Absolutely, but that's how real weather often looks too.  I'm very happy with turbulence implementation so far, and historical weather is great.  No dramatic transitions yet.  So far, I'm very pleased with the purchase.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

While doing my last cross-country GA flight, I had a lot of time to reflect on the differences vs default. I flew from Auckland to Tauranga, 60-70nm (the PA-38 is not a fast aircraft).

NZTG doesn’t have a METAR. The cloudscape was vastly different. Default: few clouds, CU. AS: several different layers of CU (and think also ST), at least broken.

I guess default gets the non-METAR data from Meteoblue. But what about AS? So I was thinking, how do we determine which one is most realistic when there aren’t any nearby METARs. 

I could post some screenshots, but they’ll look horrendous as video quality is only at 360p (still uploading).

Also: is it true that Meteoblue only updates twice a day?

Thoughts? I guess I could have called someone in Tauranga and asked them to look out the window…

If someone want’s to go check out what the weather was like: 270427z.

Edited by Cpt_Piett

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I guess default gets the non-METAR data from Meteoblue. But what about AS? So I was thinking, how do we determine which one is most realistic when there aren’t any nearby METARs. 

You have to consider that meteoblue NEMS, ICON and ECMWF etc are forecast models. They forecast macro/mesoscale weather and for those purposes they are extremely well refined. They are not good at predicting microscale events such as wind directions disturbed by mechanical turbulence or other local terrain events (including isolated local thunderstorm)

ECMWF model found in Windy (which I think is superior) while still great, reports surface wind at my local airport consistently wrong by at least 40 degrees, and have been like that for the last 5 years. It's just too local weather phenomena happening.

But again, for VFR (and IFR) flying planning purposes, cloud bases and winds aloft, these models are very competent. They just aren't suitable for minute operative variables used for takeoff, approach and landing decisions. For that you need local observations at the aerodrome. And it will always be like that.

Edited by SAS443
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40NG+tdi / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

56 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

If someone want’s to go check out what the weather was like: 270427z.

Confused (LOL!). Is that 27 Apr 04hrs 27min (Zulu)?

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Adamski_NZ said:

Confused (LOL!). Is that 27 Apr 04hrs 27min (Zulu)?

That’s right! Video here with comparisons from 34:33 https://youtu.be/H6F1JQIUKh0?si=YUTtiifR53g4CWGF

About 30nm SE of NZAA:

Default (passive mode)

qYYw8BJ.png

AS (preset mode)

dAACn9l.png

Edited by Cpt_Piett