Sign in to follow this  
Silicus

Active Sky review

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Agree that this is getting a bit too much. Flight simmers discussing weather never ends well… 

…and I think I saw a high-altitude cirrus cloud yesterday but forgot to take a screenshot 😅

image.png.a6e07b8bf6a73ffd7da930913c189562.png

image.png.88950441ad581bf49a4c9cda0c926635.png

Here youj go!  Taken at FL360 yesterday over Tennessee.  High cirrus above.  Clearly above.

Edited by fppilot
  • Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Posted (edited)

I recommend members always or at least often take an opportunity to review member profiles when confronted with persistent negative types of opinions.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, fppilot said:

I recommend members always or at least often take an opportunity to review member profiles when confronted with the negative type of opinions that fall into line with others, like this as one example.

Actually i agree with what he said (his post seems to have been deleted although it had many things right) 

I have been using Active Sky from the FSX into P3D and this newest addition doesn't get me assured enough. Without direct API access it's nogo. Don't need any bubblegum-fixies into this sim anymore.

Edited by MPL

Mikael Leinonen

Posted (edited)

If you read the Hifisim forum there are a lot of people saying that the weather does not match the METAR.

I had a great flight but also last flight the METAR in Holland did not match the weather at all. It is to easy to say that it can also not rain on the other side of the airport etc. Especially with a METAR based software you would expect to see the correct weather at your departure airport if you start up. 

For me my experience was quite mixed and I have used all versions of Active Sky since FS2004 and they were allways spot on.

I still have trust in the developers that they will fix these issues since they made such great products!

Edited by rob0203
  • Upvote 1

This is going round in circles. Is there any reason to keep this thread going?

So we can not discuss this? Or have to open a new thread again?

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

This is a review-topic of the ASFS so are only positive comments allowed?

Edited by MPL
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Mikael Leinonen

9 hours ago, GSalden said:

The moment AS controls Live Weather too I will be the first one to buy 2 licenses.

The is a mode in which AS sets the weather in the sim via presets to live conditions. Is that what you mean?

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, MPL said:

Without direct API access it's nogo.

Wtih the more than obvious Microsoft/Asobo response on the SDK/API issue of "Not Planned", I for one will take the best I can find.  Which I have very recently done, and am enjoying quite well.  🙃

I have consistently beat the drum against "Not Planned"  over the past 3 1/2 years, understanding that it is controlled by contractual obligations. Difficult still today to accept that agreement was approved.   That is the reason for positioning the last line in my signature below.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Wtih the more than obvious Microsoft/Asobo response on the SDK/API issue of "Not Planned", I for one will take the best I can find.  Which I have very recently done, and am enjoying quite well.  🙃

I have consistently beat the drum against "Not Planned"  over the past 3 1/2 years, understanding that it is controlled by contractual obligations.  Is the reason for positioning the last line in my signature below.

My experiences with previous sims and AS working with them doesn't seem to work with this new sim. Too restricted environment for AS to fully work like preceeding sims, sad to see that. No way to blame Hifisim since it's not their fault to lock API out of use.

Edited by MPL

Mikael Leinonen

32 minutes ago, MPL said:

This is a review-topic of the ASFS so are only positive comments allowed?

Any constructive criticism is permitted. Except it's disappointing that you didn't give any ⬇️

41 minutes ago, MPL said:

Don't need any bubblegum-fixies into this sim anymore.

That's the problem with this thread. Everyone who's incredibly critical of ASFS neither owns it nor understands the gap it's filling.

If you don't like what it does / doesn't do, that's fine. It's just the repetitive critical comments on here are: a) the same fundamental criticism, and b) repetitive.

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

Any constructive criticism is permitted. Except it's disappointing that you didn't give any ⬇️

That's the problem with this thread. Everyone who's incredibly critical of ASFS neither owns it nor understands the gap it's filling.

If you don't like what it does / doesn't do, that's fine. It's just the repetitive critical comments on here are: a) the same fundamental criticism, and b) repetitive.

I have used active sky since fsx and with locked out api there is no way that AS achieves same results as before. Maybe there are lot's of us who share the same comment? Each to their own, i guess 😉

Edited by MPL
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Mikael Leinonen

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

Ehmmm with all respect.... that is quite a statement I own it and understand the gap its filling

Also you can say it is the repetitive comments to people who are critical about the product from people who like it

Edited by rob0203
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, MPL said:

I have used active sky since fsx and with locked out api there is no way that AS achieves same results as before. Maybe there is lot's of us who share the same comment? Each to their own, i guess 😉

8 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

I agree 100% -------  with F737MAX, and it is consistent with my most previous post. If not perfect it fills a gap. There is no perfect world. Not weather apps or BTW, traffic apps.   I will use the best I can find.  There is no perfect world.

Hummm.  AS and previous sims...  See you are more recent than that here.  A belated welcome...

Frank Patton
ASUS