I believe that all topic response volumes should be limited to 40 pages in length.

Dave Swigert

WIN 10/  i7-9700K@4.8 GHz/ 32 GB ram/ BENQ BL3200 monitor/ NVIDIA GTX1080 TI video

8 hours ago, Cognita said:

But, do they move is straight lines at a constant speed?

Easy to test.  Prop your cell phone up and take a hyper lapse of the sky, or look one up. 

Yes, like someone else said, clouds don't *technically* move in a straight line because winds change over distance via synoptic scale features... But that's small changes over hundreds of miles.  From a person's perspective, clouds move in straight lines with wind.  They've always looked pretty good in MSFS; movement wise.

• Like 2

Andrew Crowley

41 minutes ago, Stearmandriver said:

Easy to test.  Prop your cell phone up and take a hyper lapse of the sky, or look one up. 

I had never really thought about this until I saw the depiction and then started wondering if, indeed, clouds move in straight lines. I did look at a couple and yes basically straight but there seems to be a lot more internal movement in the clouds than I can see in the simulator.

Dan Scott

10 minutes ago, Cognita said:

I had never really thought about this until I saw the depiction and then started wondering if, indeed, clouds move in straight lines. I did look at a couple and yes basically straight but there seems to be a lot more internal movement in the clouds than I can see in the simulator.

I agree - unfortunately I haven't seen internal cloud  movement in either sim. IIRC, the closest was some of the fancy stuff HiFi did in P3d. I'm guessing that the processing needed to render internal "boiling" clouds might be a strain on some systems.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

40 minutes ago, Cognita said:

Agreed, I'm sure there are sim limits to this kind of thing, but also it does matter what kind of clouds you're looking at.  Cumulus clouds (the puffies w vertical development) are created by convection, vertical air movement.  And so they "boil" like VgBaron says.  Because that looks cool, that's often the type of hyper lapse cloud video you'll find.  Stratus clouds on the other hand have very little internal turbulence (hence why they're often smooth to fly through) and so a hyper lapse of those will often show a smooth linear movement.  But that doesn't look as cool so it might be harder to find 😉.

Andrew Crowley

It would definitely be very cool to have internal cloud movement modeled. I think it’s possible with modern GPUs, but I have no idea how complicated it is to implement this. But as realism is ever-increasing, I’m pretty sure we’ll be able to get this at some stage.

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, psolk said:

In addition to the weather depiction ASFS is definitely making exaggerated lighting changes from what I can see.  Today at KEWR was relatively overcast but that type of bright overcast you almost needed sunglasses.  Loaded up the sim and before ASFS set the weather it was the appropriate level of brightness then ASFS kicked in and it almost turned to night.  Almost as soon as I got into the clouds on departure it brightened up but anything under the cloud base was way too dark.... I've noticed this a few times now and it's also evident in the pics a page or two earlier... 

Latest ASFS Build, no shader mods of any type in MSFS.   

In the Beta we had people saying it was too dark while others said it was not dark enough. So this seems to be highly subjective. Most probably it also depends on the monitor (HDR capability) and monitor settings. Also the aircraft and the tint of its windows come into play. And even  your camera position and zoom factor and the brightness of the cockpit colours influence the lighting because of the eye-adaptation feature of MSFS (which seems to have weakened in one of their latest updates).

I recommend using the Geforce filters, in particular the HDR toning setting. Create three different presets so you can easily choose the one that you like best in the actual lighting conditions in the sim.

Edited by RALF9636

Don't forget the sim itself has some glare effects - when it's bright outside and you scroll down into the cockpit, the panels sometimes are unreadable until MSFS adjusts the lighting. I think a combination of factors produces those results, not just AS.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

1 hour ago, vgbaron said:

Don't forget the sim itself has some glare effects - when it's bright outside and you scroll down into the cockpit, the panels sometimes are unreadable until MSFS adjusts the lighting. I think a combination of factors produces those results, not just AS.

If you're going to start being reasonable you'll take all the fun out of it.

• Like 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I dunno. Either I'm doing something very wrong, or there's something wonky with AS's weather depiction at the moment.

Flying through a SIGMET area with tops above FL450, embedded TS and hail, the works. All of that info is in AS's map view.

The storm is currently tornado-warned with a radar-indicated approx 40kt rotation. A live chase on YT is showing fairly decent CB formation, lots of lightning, a significant hail core, etc. And as I type this, a tornado appears to be forming visibly.

In-sim the MSFS weather shows some wispy clouds, which is lame. AS is better in that cumulus clouds cover the area, but they top at about 12,000 with a 5,000 base. No lightning, no turbulence, no hail, and certainly no towering CBs in this supercell. Very strange. In p3d, AS would be busy trying to tear my airplane apart right now. Any idea what gives?

37 minutes ago, eslader said:

I dunno. Either I'm doing something very wrong, or there's something wonky with AS's weather depiction at the moment.

Flying through a SIGMET area with tops above FL450, embedded TS and hail, the works. All of that info is in AS's map view.

The storm is currently tornado-warned with a radar-indicated approx 40kt rotation. A live chase on YT is showing fairly decent CB formation, lots of lightning, a significant hail core, etc. And as I type this, a tornado appears to be forming visibly.

In-sim the MSFS weather shows some wispy clouds, which is lame. AS is better in that cumulus clouds cover the area, but they top at about 12,000 with a 5,000 base. No lightning, no turbulence, no hail, and certainly no towering CBs in this supercell. Very strange. In p3d, AS would be busy trying to tear my airplane apart right now. Any idea what gives?

Are you on the latest beta? It's been released on their Downloads page.

19 minutes ago, mmcmah said:

I was notified that there was a new version today, don't think it was a beta.   8883

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

2 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I was notified that there was a new version today, don't think it was a beta.   8883

8883 was the last beta version, which became a release version.

1 hour ago, mmcmah said:

No, newest official, downloaded this afternoon.

I have been using Active Sky for a week on every flight and I am very very happy with it, I like the overall representation, the smooth transitions and turbulence as well as the changing visibility.

d05AVaa.jpeg

• Like 1

CORSAIR 4000 AIRFLOW (WHITE) / RYZEN 5800X3D / ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS / ARTIC LIQUID FREEZERII 240 / 32 GO DDR4 3200 KINGSTON FURY / MSI RTX4090 VENTUS 3X 24G OC / KINGSTON NV1 NVME 2 TO / BE QUIET PURE POWER 11FM  1000W 80PLUS GOLD / SAMSUNG NEO QLED 43" 4K.