5 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Actually that’s what I meant. I’ll check it out once I’m back in the sim later this evening!

Great. But could you please remind me why we need AIRAC data in ASFS? Never understood that. Something to do with Simbrief plans perhaps? 

Fom the man:

If you're flying realistic IFR procedures using recent data, this would be important to have the new data match. For those not flying IFR procedures this will not be very relevant.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bond said:

Fom the man:

If you're flying realistic IFR procedures using recent data, this would be important to have the new data match. For those not flying IFR procedures this will not be very relevant.

I believe it is for the map as you fly, so all the waypoints are correct from simbrief.

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Bond said:

From the man:

Thanks, makes sense! I do a lot of IFR flying, Navigraph Hub integration is a welcome addition.

Btw a new ASFS worth it / not worth it thread just surfaced. As if we needed (even) more opinionated opinions (and counter-opinions), defensive, choleric (and elated) rants and so on. Go check it out and leave your 5¢. If everyone contributes we’ll make it another 39-page thread in no time! 🥳

/sarcasm

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

dYn55y0_d.jpg?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&f

So those of us on the south coast of England were subjected to a pretty decent thunderstorm last night, kept me awake and unfortunately too late to go down the beach to watch it thanks to work today! Anyway I just fired up MSFS & AS to see how it depicted in Historical Mode and...it wasn't bad, but not great.

For starters I was at EGKA, which takes no METAR reading overnight (from what I can find), Gatwick however had Light Thunderstorm, Rain at 1:20am only. Going into the sim at 2am there was plenty of rain but i didn't see much, if any lightning. Going back to 1am and sure enough there are storms, the "not so good" was the storms were very broken up, not one huge cloud system as per real life last night. But they were there, in an area well away from the nearest METAR so at least it was relatively close to a real life historical event.

Overall, whilst there's obvious room for improvement, I'm again so very thankful for this historical mode.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

6 minutes ago, MarcG said:

there was plenty of rain but i didn't see much, if any lightning. 

Do you have "Prevent thunderstorms when CB reported" on or off? With this option unticked you get a higher chance for lightning.

Ok went to Paris LFPB at 21:30 yesterday evening as they reported Heavy Thunderstorm and sure enough AS Historical shows a better depiction of the storm with blanket cloud (no gaps) and full on raging storm. I wonder if the reason for the sporadic clouds at EGKA later in the evening is because there was no METAR coverage for the area?

Either way and another massive plus for Historical Weather 🙂

• Like 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

Do you have "Prevent thunderstorms when CB reported" on or off? With this option unticked you get a higher chance for lightning.

Off, i've kept this build as default settings for now

Edit: I say "off" I mean Unticked but in the text below it says default value is "True" - bit confusing! Either way when it's "ticked" there is no storms at EGKA at 1am, "Unticked" and they appear but still broken up not solid cloud like seen at Paris.

Edited by MarcG

Finally I got rain and approach down to minimum in AS!

image.png?ex=66355231&is=663400b1&hm=a55

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

8 hours ago, MarcG said:

Either way and another massive plus for Historical Weather 🙂

Been using historical lots lately. Went back to December 6th 2023 at ENGM Oslo for low-level, thick clouds with the sun low on the horizon. I got a 5000ft thick full overcast stratus-layer and light snowfall. Even then, I didn’t find that it was unreasonably dark. It was pretty much as I’ve experienced the weather to be many times in Oslo during winter.

I guess people perceive these things very differently. 

It’s probably been mentioned, but it’s possible to check METARs a 3 days back. To access older date (years), a subscription is needed. I don’t intend to pay for this, but it’s easier to search for specific weather at a certain location than just randomly choosing various times in ASFS.

1sUMSjk.jpeg

• Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

Posted (edited)

Yet another comparison screenshot incoming 😄 Don't worry, I'm not in any way doing it to "prove" that ASFS is better. Just trying to critically assess the difference. 

TNCM Princess Juliana | 05:59 (10:59 UTC) - I moved the time a bit forward for more daylight. 

metar-taf.com:
TNCM 031100Z 12009KT 9999 FEW016 SCT035 29/27 Q1012 NOSIG
TNCM 031000Z 12010KT 9999 FEW///CB FEW016 SCT035 28/26 Q1011 NOSIG

windy.com (outdated by 9 hrs):
TNCM 030200Z 09013KT 070V130 9999 VCTS FEW///CB SCT016 BKN033 27/26 Q1012 RMK CB/ LTG S-N (-9h 4m)

ASFS:
@POS 031000Z 12010KT 9999 FEW016 SCT035 28/26 Q1011 RMK AS DEPICTED
(Cloned by: TNCM, closest weather station when the aircraft was on the ground)

FEW016 extends to:3250 feet (Cloud type: ST)
SCT035 extends to:8571 feet (Cloud type: ST)

Smb4ZV2.jpeg

windy.com satellite:

0J6p6kr.jpeg

What's more interesting than a static image, is how the clouds look in different parts of the horizon. In the video below, I'm panning around 360 degrees.

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

@Cpt_Piett,

Thanks for your efforts. 

I was under the impression with ASFS changes needs to be set and run before running MSFS. Is it possible to change settings on the fly?

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Long quoted post with images removed.

1 hour ago, jkeye said:

I was under the impression with ASFS changes needs to be set and run before running MSFS. Is it possible to change settings on the fly?

Yes it is.

• Upvote 1

Roland

MSFS my local airport release: LFOR Chartres-Metropole

MSFS Plugins RAAS (registered FSUIPC7 required)

MSFS FX for Objects & Landmark in France (Steam and smoke) and Aerial coverage for French nuclear sites

On 5/2/2024 at 3:36 PM, RALF9636 said:

What I tried to say is that it is subjective and dependent on your setup if you perceive this darkening as appropriate, as too dark or as not dark enough. We've had all these perceptions in the Betateam so there would not be one setting to please all.

That's why I suggested to use the Geforce filters to obtain an image that pleases you most. In particular the HDR-toning setting I recommended does not simply brighten up everything. It brightens overly dark scenes and darkens overly bright scenes. I use such a filter myself because actually I personally also think the darkening is a little too much - but not everybody perceives it that way. Again I recommend to test the filters yourself.

On 5/2/2024 at 3:45 PM, Cpt_Piett said:

Got it, that makes sense. 

On 5/2/2024 at 3:49 PM, RALF9636 said:

Just try it. I'm interested to hear your report.

I did try it today. By the way I agree that Active Sky might make things a bit too dark at times. Tested with a 5000ft thick overcast stratus-layer from 1900ft. I did test the HDR-toning setting, but I also found the shadows slider (under brightness/contrast) useful, as that will only affect the darkest parts of the image. 

(included some previous quotes for context)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jkeye said:

ASFS has two “modes”

• passive mode (default clouds + ASFS “active air” effects)
  • preset mode (ASFS controls everything)

Changing between these lets us compare ASFS and default clouds within the same sim session. In other words, “on the fly”. Outside of this method, it’s generally not recommended to change any MSFS weather settings while ASFS is running. AFAIK.

2 hours ago, Overload said:

Just for info, a web site that gives historical METAR/TAF date for free.

https://www.ogimet.com/metars.phtml.en

Thanks. Only last 24hrs it seems.

• Upvote 1