Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

April 2024 Asobo Developer Livestream

Posted (edited)

Any word about FS24 Replays or VR?

Edited by peloto

3 minutes ago, Fielder said:

700 people at Asobo, Microsoft, and others working on MSFS. I never understood that. $50,000 salary per year times 700 is 35 million USD a year. Seems like that would not leave much room for profit.

Not sure you've got that right unless they just said it? a few Q&As ago it was 175 at MS/Asobo and 500 spread out through their Partners Program (iniBuilds, Gaya etc)

• Upvote 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Fielder said:

700 people at Asobo, Microsoft, and others working on MSFS. I never understood that. $50,000 salary per year times 700 is 35 million USD a year. Seems like that would not leave much room for profit.

Well just to be clear Jorg said in this stream that 200 ish people are at Asobo, when he then quoted the 700 figure he also included partner companies like iniBuilds, Orbx, etc. So not all of those companies' employees are directly salaried by MS, but of course MS pays flat amounts to the companies I'd guess for specific contracts like the iniBuild aircraft that are default in the sim, etc.

Needless to say, MS has deep pockets, and is clearly investing a lot in both its core teams as well as partnerships to build the MSFS franchise 🙂

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 4

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

Yea, Seb said the number at Asobo who specifically work on the FS sim is around 200. And Jorg jumped in to add that counting MS and partners and Asobo, the number now working on MSFS sim was about 700.

I do believe it was Jorg who first pitched MSFS to Microsoft. And its success in generating revenue must have turned out to be stupendous, based on the resources now being allocated. Jorg's job is probably safe for years, LOL.

• Like 4

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

6 minutes ago, Fielder said:

Yea, Seb said the number at Asobo who specifically work on the FS sim is around 200. And Jorg jumped in to add that counting MS and partners and Asobo, the number now working on MSFS sim was about 700

It also does not mean that every one of those people is an FTE dedicated to MSFS. Some may be allocated .5 FTE or .1 FTE for MSFS, depending on what they do, and then they have responsibilities for other titles. 

• Upvote 1

Dan Scott

I think I can assume now that SU15, which is going to be delayed yet again, will basically complete core development on 2020, with it now transitioning to legacy. So, all focus is now on 2024. 

Dan Scott

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Cognita said:

I think I can assume now that SU15, which is going to be delayed yet again, will basically complete core development on 2020, with it now transitioning to legacy. So, all focus is now on 2024. 

That's not what they've said. 2020 will get less Sim updates, but there will be other SUs in the next year (he thinks 2 SU per year).

Eventually 2020 will be considered done, but not right now.

Edited by ca_metal
  • Like 1

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

Posted (edited)

World updates will also continue in 2020, but they won't be as high quality as 2024.

Edited by Tuskin38

Just now, Tuskin38 said:

World updates will also continue in 2020, but they won't be as high quality as 2024.

I think he was talking about the core development, like AAUs and SUs.

Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

30 minutes ago, MarcG said:

Not everyone switches to the next FIFA(FC) game, not everyone switches to the next Madden game etc etc It seems like a totally bizarre waste of energy to me

it is important for them to have both sims run most of the marketplace add ons, that is where the most of the profit comes from, the sim is a platform, you pick what ever suet you based on your budget and hardware capability.

• Like 1

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 4K monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.

2 minutes ago, penta_a said:

it is important for them to have both sims run most of the marketplace add ons, that is where the most of the profit comes from, the sim is a platform, you pick what ever suet you based on your budget and hardware capability.

I guess that can be one angle but I'm not overly convinced, will be interesting to see if they end up de-listing MSFS2020 next year instead. Time will tell.

• Like 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, MarcG said:

I guess that can be one angle but I'm not overly convinced, will be interesting to see if they end up de-listing MSFS2020 next year instead. Time will tell.

I'm almost certain they will.

They're treating the sim like an operating system, which IMO is actually brilliant, because the economic engine that keeps MSFS in development is the Marketplace. If you can keep the 2020 base that don't switch to 2024 and pay the $60 entrance fee relatively up-to-date and with the majority of Marketplace addons still working in their simulator, you'll keep driving sales.

Fail to do that and you're leaving money on the table.

It's a very smart GTM strategy, this is the kind of stuff I do for work and I'm impressed by their approach to this.

Edited by mspencer
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Fielder said:

Not all 700 are working for Microsoft full time. Microsoft contracts out some work and once the contract is done, most of the people at the partner companies move on to otner projects where Microsoft isn't paying them. I don't even know if all 200 people at Asobo working on MSFS 2020, are working on it full time (ie. some are obviously working on MSFS 2024, in parallel witn MSFS 2020).

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Just now, mspencer said:

They're treating the sim like an operating system, which IMO is actually brilliant, because the economic engine that keeps MSFS in development is the Marketplace. If you can keep the 2020 base that don't switch to 2024 and pay the $60 entrance fee relatively up-to-date and with the majority of Marketplace addons still working in their simulator, you'll keep driving sales.

It's a very smart GTM strategy, this is the kind of stuff I do for work and I'm impressed by their approach to this.

I'm not quite sure because FSX: Steam Edition is still there, after almost 10 years. I know it's not the same thing, but still...

7 minutes ago, mspencer said:

But do they keep supporting MSFS2020 for ten years like they claimed before release? Keeping that old dog running with a few sparse users whilst they look to create a potential 3rd iteration of the rejuvenated franchise? It's an interesting concept to copy the OS approach, but this is a game at the end of the day and that's the part where I think they're trying something that simply won't work very well. We have to remember a lot of sales come from Xbox, the next gen xbox won't want MSFS2020 on it, it'll want the MSFS2024 and MSFS2024 only.