Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

Panic on Earth. Not enough babies anymore!

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Perhaps Mars or Venus will colonize Earth to help boost our shrinking numbers. h0188.gif

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

With the anti-Immigrant sentiment in my country, which once fairly easily bucked this trend by welcoming new arrivals, it will eventually result in the deterioration of the social safety net, among other things that people don't want to hear about right now.

A family member told me that pointing out information like this would get me punched in the head if mentioned in the wrong circles.

I replied that deciding to believe the moon was made of cheese would not succeed in suddenly making it edible.....

He replied that I was too innocent.......

And so it goes.

• Like 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

In ten years Indias population has surged past China 129,000,000, China 122,717,000. It`s the west that`s declining. 2/3rds live east of Istanbul. And growing.

• Like 2

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

18 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

In ten years Indias population has surged past China 129,000,000, China 122,717,000. It`s the west that`s declining.

According to the article, it's not that India is surging, it's that it is declining at a slower rate:

"India surpassed China as the most populous country last year, yet its fertility is now below replacement."

Dugald Walker

Well, that'll be very welcome to nature on Earth, and thus ultimately to ourselves.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | Intel Core i9-10900K @ 5.3GHz | 64GB Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 | 500 GB M.2 NVMe for win | 2TB M.2 NVMe for FS2020 | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Eric from EHAM, a flying Dutchman.

Posted (edited)

This is a real dilemma for Western nations.  It is true that the birth rate in most Western countries has fallen below the replacement rate of 2.1 per couple.  This does not bode well for the future, as our society depends on an adequate "supply" of new people to enter the workforce and pay taxes to support existing retirees' pensions and healthcare, not to mention replacing retiring workers and performing those jobs.  The situation is most dire in Italy, Spain, and Portugal.  Japan and China are also in trouble in the East.

Our entire system is based on constant economic growth, and it is difficult to get that without an increasing population.  All this talk of AI increasing productivity to compensate is exaggerated.

One of the big reasons why govts have allowed unchecked immigration is because they are desperate to maintain their population levels.  They also derive the additional benefits of bringing in primarily young people who will do the jobs that many over-educated Westerners won't do for lower wages(big business is all on board here, of course), they will have a fresh crop of taxpayers, plus immigrants tend to have more children than the average indigenous couple.

Having said all that, there are too many people in the world, and it will become increasingly difficult and costly to provide enough resources like food, water, and power for everyone.

We need policies that sustain the population at current levels.

Dave

Edited by dave2013
  • Like 2

Simulator: P3Dv6.1

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

1 hour ago, dave2013 said:

Having said all that, there are too many people in the world, and it will become increasingly difficult and costly to provide enough resources like food, water, and power for everyone.

Sadly, there is a price mankind will have to pay in order to reduce the population to more sustainable levels. That or a world war that makes WW1 and WW2 combined a child's play, but the latter would be too drastic and violent for our liking.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), ID-Cooling SE-224-XTS air cooler, Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

I hate to be pessimistic, but I think it's time to revisit the data from the Mouse Utopia experiments in the 60's and 70's.  Even if you're familiar with this you may want to review the details.  Just google Mouse Utopia.

Basically, a group of 8 healthy mice were given an enclosure and all the food and water they wanted, but would be limited in space.  After a brief adjustment period the population boomed. 

At some point the mouse society changed.  Females got aggressive against males wanting to mate and eventually retreated to empty apartments and became hermits, something mice don't do.  Young males that lost fights with alpha males that were defending a harem retreated to the center of the enclosure and would "riot", massive fighting for no reason.  Females no longer raised pups properly, driving them out of nests too soon or abandoning them entirely to die.  Many males became uninterested in mating, spending all their time grooming.  They called these "the beautiful ones".  Modern accounts do not mention homosexuality but early ones did, putting a lot of emphasis on it.

Lowered birth rates and lack of mating eventually capped the population at about 2200, where it started to decline.  You would hope that when the population dropped below the trigger level that things would go back to normal, but they didn't.  All experiments resulted in the mouse colony dying out completely.

This experiment was repeated many times, with the same result every time.  There has been considerable controversy over Mouse Utopia.  The earliest accounts I remember reading in the 70's didn't give all these details, they simply said that when overcrowding got to a certain point the mice became homosexual and the colony died.

I have no idea how such a thing could happen on a global scale with humans in a short time period, but real world accounts are looking alarmingly similar to Mouse Utopia.

I hope to God I'm wrong.

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Some animals or birds regulate their offspring depending on availability of food and or other resources. But they aren't homo sapiens....

13 hours ago, Fielder said:

Perhaps Mars or Venus will colonize Earth to help boost our shrinking numbers. h0188.gif

Perhaps they already have.....🙂 .

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

10 hours ago, Luis Hernandez said:

Sadly, there is a price mankind will have to pay in order to reduce the population to more sustainable levels. That or a world war that makes WW1 and WW2 combined a child's play, but the latter would be too drastic and violent for our liking.

But the whole point of this topic is that the population is starting to decline already and in the most peaceful way possible. More and more women are choosing not to have babies and it seems that direct financial incentives are not changing their minds.

Dugald Walker

12 hours ago, dave2013 said:

This is a real dilemma for Western nations.  It is true that the birth rate in most Western countries has fallen below the replacement rate of 2.1 per couple.  This does not bode well for the future, as our society depends on an adequate "supply" of new people to enter the workforce and pay taxes to support existing retirees' pensions and healthcare, not to mention replacing retiring workers and performing those jobs.  The situation is most dire in Italy, Spain, and Portugal.  Japan and China are also in trouble in the East.

Our entire system is based on constant economic growth, and it is difficult to get that without an increasing population.  All this talk of AI increasing productivity to compensate is exaggerated.

One of the big reasons why govts have allowed unchecked immigration is because they are desperate to maintain their population levels.  They also derive the additional benefits of bringing in primarily young people who will do the jobs that many over-educated Westerners won't do for lower wages(big business is all on board here, of course), they will have a fresh crop of taxpayers, plus immigrants tend to have more children than the average indigenous couple.

We need policies that sustain the population at current levels.

Dave

You nailed it.  One the one hand if you do nothing the standard of living deteriorates, the lower population can't support the older cohort and gets crushed by the debt of the country.  If you have wide open immigration you end up changing the nature of the country as we are seeing in many Western countries today.  Japan and Korea are determined to preserve their culture and live with the population decline. Maybe if we didn't spend so much and get into crazy debt a declining population could be manageable.

• Like 2

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

7 hours ago, LHookins said:

Basically, a group of 8 healthy mice were given

I remember reading of a trial recently involving 8 mice, or was it 6 ? 
Now what was that 🤔, anyway whatever it was I’m sure it has nothing to do with declining birth rates.

• Like 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1.